Shin Splints

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
sweet_hack
Hack Fiend

Post by sweet_hack » 18 Jan 2006 12:10

Alright my milk theory is pretty good I can officially say that for two weeks now I have not had any shin splints at all. And now that there gone it is such a relief when you shred.
Randy Dubé, from the boonies and I like it that way.

IT'S ALL ABOUT FOOTBAG

Switch Kicker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Switch Kicker » 26 Jan 2006 12:27

I didn't have time to read the whole topic, but here's what I'm going to put in for what Helps, and what Hurts.

Helps: I have to agree with Evan on this, New Balance shoes are massively good for your shins and feet. The US Army issues a pair to each soldier for running and training, because shin splints are very common in BCT, and New Balance is very good for pretecting that.

Good insoles.

MILK, MILK, MILK!!! Drink atleast one FULL glass, (2 Cups) of milk a day. Atleast, it helps ALOT. I LOVE milk, and I never get pain in my bones at all.

Wear socks when you shred... Not wearing socks will cause roughed up skin, which causes it to blister/die, and can also just rip the skin depending on what kind of shoes you're wearing. Wear socks.

Play on short carpet. If you have a spot that has carpet that's 1" in length, use that, it's much better than concrete and gym floors.

Stretch everytime before you play.

Soften your landing. Don't be like my friend Josh Anderson... stomping on the floor like a fucking bahemith, use your toes to cusion your landing.

Hurts: Concrete, gym floors, hard surfaces.

Jumping from something more than 3 feet in the air.

Excess "foot-rolling" as I call it. Rolling your foot on the ground to catch a low bag in an osis or clipper. Mainly hurst the bone on the outside of your feet and can cause it to get sore, or even crack if you're using "mesh" style of shoes, such as Lavers.

Excess Flat-footed plants, they cause damage to your shins.

That's all I got time for right now, will post more if I remember to later.

funklovesfootbag
Womanizer

Post by funklovesfootbag » 26 Feb 2006 00:26

I have shin splints really bad, my legs are hurting during and after every session it seems like. i do maybe 100 toe taps a day, and stretch well but .. I guess i need to do more. :(
Fletcher Funk...

*Retired From Stitching*
(and basically freestyle.)

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 22 Mar 2006 23:41

Damn thats it I'm getting new balances. Got really sore inside of leg and shin, so much so that I can't hop properly :( perhaps taking some time off will help, but how long does it take to overcome shin splints?

funklovesfootbag
Womanizer

Post by funklovesfootbag » 23 Mar 2006 02:11

depends on how strong you make your shin muscles. i've been playing about every other day for about 7.5 months now, and i still get sore shins after a really hardcore session. If you do like 100 toe taps every other day maybe you won't have a problem... I just play through the pain.
Fletcher Funk...

*Retired From Stitching*
(and basically freestyle.)

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 23 Mar 2006 20:59

I wouldn't mind just playing through the pain too, the problem is that I can't move my leg properly at the moment. Dexing is so much slower and crank is down to about 15-20degrees (compared with 30-35degrees normally). Did toe taps help for you? Advice for a quick recovery would be greatly appreciated, as it's looking like a week or two out of the game otherwise.