Comics

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
Asmus
Ass Moose

Re: Comics

Post by Asmus » 21 Feb 2014 01:26

Muffinman wrote:Brandon's puns are amazing. Did I tell you that I accidentally met him? I didnt know who he was or like his style at the time. Marian tried to convince me to buy his books. He's very scary-looking in person!
Yeah, you told me that story. I think he looks like every hardcore graffiti writer I ever met - kind heart but fucking loco.

I just read Michael DeForge's "Very Casual". It is a collection of short stories. Really weird and really fucking good.
Here is a random page:

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 24 Feb 2014 14:13

That's so Asmus

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 01 Oct 2015 07:33

Time to resurrect his one!

The two last comics I have read were Happy! by Grant Morrison & Darick Robertson and the BLACKSAD (Hardcover) by Juan Diaz Canales & Juanjo Guarnido

Happy!‘s plot synopsis: “a young girl’s imaginary, magical, feathery blue horse and the disgraced hitman who’s working with it on trying to save the girl from a pedophiliac Santa Claus…Nick Sax, a scummy corrupt ex-cop and hitman. After a hit goes bad and Sax is left gravely injured, he is suddenly able to see Happy, a cheerful little blue horse who won’t give in to adversity, no matter what unpleasant obstacles come in the way. Days before Christmas, Sax teams up with the saccharine horse to the save the life of a troubled kid and maybe find redemption amid the squalor of his city.”

This was ok. Apparently RZA is directing a film adaption of it, which makes sense. It was like a shitty version of SIN CITY with an annoying imaginary horse.

BLACKSAD synopsis: Rendered in a film noir style, the stories are set in late 1950s America. All of the characters are anthropomorphic animals whose species reflects their personality, character type and role in the story. Animal stereotypes are often used: for example, nearly all of the policemen are canids, such as German Shepherds, Bloodhounds, and foxes, while underworld characters are often reptiles or amphibians. Female characters are often much more human looking than their male counterparts, especially those filling the role of love interest to more important characters.

The strip attempts at recreating a dirty-realist outlook and a dark cinematic style through fairly clean, realistic lines. Very detailed watercolor drawings, including real-life places and cities, also contribute to the realistic feel of the series, despite the fact that characters are animals. The style of drawing has evolved throughout the series, with later issues displaying sharper, higher-quality colour and fewer grainy lines.

This was fucking amazing. The artwork is gorgeous, the story telling very thight and the historical references and intertextuality is at times ingenious. Definitely planning on reading more of these.

Just look at this shit:

Apparently I work a 100 meters from the biggest comic store in Copenhagen and I am planning to go there once a month from now on. I went there today and bought the "FIT OF RAGE" trilogy by Enki Bilal for myself.

Animal'Z (2009), Julia & Roem (2011) & Color Of Air (2014)

I also bought two comics as a birthday gift for my old man.

My dad really liked the Corto Maltese series, so I bought him Fort Wellington by the same author. It is quite interesting since it took the author 35 years to finish it, so the style changes through out the story.The other one is called "The Photographer" in English and it was recommended highly by the staff in the shop. My dad likes things rooted in history so this should be a good fit as well.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 23 Feb 2016 02:12

Recently read the book version of Jim Mahfoods awesome webcomic Los Angeles Ink Stains and I can definitely recommend it.
What It Is: Los Angeles Ink Stains is an autobiographical webcomic by Jim Mahfood that has been released as a free web comic on his website and was collected into a book and released by Image Comics.

What Makes It Stand Out: Los Angeles Ink Stains is sometimes funny, sometimes heartbreaking, and always honest. Mahfood’s writing appears simple on the surface but is filled with true-to-life emotion. The art, too, seems simple at first glance. Like the writing though, the subtleties are what make it stand out. Mahfood is his own main character and appears in most of the panels. He totally nails facial expressions. They can range from understated to exaggerated, but they always play a large part in the storytelling. Mahfood also uses grey tones and heavy blacks throughout, giving the art a signature that is entirely unique.
You can read the full archive of the webcomic here.