Comics

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 20 Aug 2006 14:36

That description of "Ghost" reminded me of a "silent" short story by Moebius, a french comic artist.

I read a handful of Sandman books, like, almost 10 years ago, but like Watchmen couldn't stand the drawings.
BubkRuckus wrote:If you think Akira is too long, or expensive, try picking up Katsushiro's DOMU. Then move on to the real thing once your eyes have been opened.
Today I just got Akira #1-5 in the mail! (On a Sunday, about 3 days after I ordered them). Domu and Akira #6 will arrive in a week or two; Domu was a 1-2 week ship, while the others were all in stock, so I separated my order to get the first books as soon as possible. These books are like a phonebook each!!

Gonna go read book 1 now :twisted:
(And gotta somehow stop myself from spending so much money...)

It's good to see you here, Rob! What else are you into?
I saw an issue of Oeming's Hammer of the Gods a couple weeks ago browsing the local shop with my girlfriend (haven't been in forever since I order everything from Amazon now -- I looked around for, like, half an hour and couldn't find a SINGLE thing I would have wanted, except some Naruto, but the manga looks exactly the same as the anime, and I started watching that a while ago). -- it looks good, though it was a quick look.

I'm still waiting on another order I placed a while back...GITS2, Black Magic, and Powers #6... will probably arrive the same time as the Akira 6 and Domu...

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 03 Nov 2006 12:28

Is anyone else excited to see the movie 300? It's based on a Frank Miller graphic novel of the same name (which is a retelling of the 300 spartans that fought and died in Thermopylae) I think I'll pick up the graphic novel, I'm a big fan of Miller.

"A thousand nations of the Persian Empire desend upon you... our arrows will blot out the sun!" :twisted:

"Then we will fight in the shade." :arrow: 8)

oh shit...

LET'S GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!!!!!

Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 03 Nov 2006 14:03

I remember reading about 300 when I used to read Wizard. Are those clips from the movie? Is it CG? (EDIT: Nevermind -- I just watched the trailer! WOOOOOWWWW!!!!)

I recently watched Silent Hill. It was soo unbelieveably terrible :(

I also recently met Mal! I mentioned his comics in some earlier post. Toronto is sooo awesome. He drew Scott Pilgrim on my bag!

Image :twisted:

mattkain
Multidex Master

Post by mattkain » 03 Nov 2006 21:29

Any Spiderman fans out there? I won a signed copy of Web Of Romance issue 1 (signed by writer Tom Beland) by answering some 16 CANDLES trivia last night. Not really my cup of tea. I'll happily mail it to the first person to PM me their address.

Since I'm here, any fans of Love and Rockets? I think Locas (the Maggie and Hopey stories) is amongst the best 20th century American fiction.

For those that recently read Watchmen look out for a, gasp, movie version next year. No idea how they'll pull that off.

MK

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 01 Dec 2006 13:53

I just got Ashley Wood's "The Complete Metal Gear Solid" official MGS collection! It is the most beautiful thing!!

I also recently got Sam Hiti's artbook, "Ghoulash", to which Mike Faille told me he is friends of a friend of Sam Hiti's(!), and Mike also gave me his own mini artbook, and short comic, SPUME, which are both amazing!!

Comics!!!!

I have a ton of stuff that has been waiting in limbo for ages: Shirow's "Black Magic" (since this past spring), Ashley Wood's "Lore" collection #1 + #2, Katsuhiro Otomo's "Domu" (in english...), and one of Chris Bachelo's "Steampunk" collections (unfortunately not the first -- these are surprisingly REALLY hard to find online!!)

Has anyone read J. Scott Campbell's "Danger Girl" books? I only have one (for the Joe Mad variant cover) and it was really good; I also have one of the collections that doesn't actually have Campbell art in it :?

Comics!!

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 01 Dec 2006 17:11

I've been reading Too Much Hopeless Savages recently. I wish I had more volumes.
Pengpeng Du

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 01 Dec 2006 20:19

I bought volume #2 of that book for Mal's drawings...
I think Becky Cloonan did some stuff for one of them too, but it was just a few pages or a cover or something. It was okay; Marita really liked it and wanted me to buy more :p

Have you read Scott Pilgrim, Peng?

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 06 Dec 2006 16:13

I've read quite a bit of Scott Pilgrim. It's hilarious. I can't wait to see where the tale gets woven to next.
Pengpeng Du

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 07 Dec 2006 03:52

HOLY CRAP!:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1888963 ... 03-4755531

Every single Bone collection in a single book for under $30!!!!! 1300 pages of Bone! I just ordered this! I have the first Bone collection and I love it and always semi-wanted to get all the others...I think my one 100-some-page collection(?) was like the same price!!! WHAT??

Wow!
I'm so excited!!!

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 08 Dec 2006 09:47

I'm out 30 bones because of you Erik. Damn. I'll just count it as a Christmas present to myself. I had it shipped to my parents' place so I can read it over the holidays. I am stoked to get it. I've only read the first three volumes of Bones and it's been on my to-get list for a long time. All 13 together for $30 is insane!
Pengpeng Du

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 09 Dec 2006 02:14

I know!!
You know what?
It arrived today!!!!!! That's how fast it came! And you know what else? On the back of the book it says, "$50can" ;) What a steal! Even $50 is a steal!!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 25 Jan 2007 05:46

Trying to bring some life back to this thread.

I just read "The Brian Michael Bendis Collection VOL 1: Sam and Twitch"
At first i was pretty disappointed I wanted some comics by Michael for Christmas and first it never came and then when it finally showed up it had artwork by Todd McFarlane whom I'm not the biggest fan of.
But after reading it I most say that the story really fits Todd's artwork.
I really liked it. Everybody should definitely check it out.
Amazon link!
Last edited by Asmus on 21 Feb 2007 03:09, edited 1 time in total.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 29 Jan 2007 23:15

I'm reading Chris Bachelo's Steampunk collection #1 right now. It started super good, but feels like it's lost something after the first 3 issues. Umm.. I also started Ashley Wood's Lore collection #1.

I finished Bone and it was good -- really good, I think.
Oh, I also started reading Frank Miller's 300 in great anticipation of the movie :twisted:

I also really want to read Mike Faille's complete Lone Wolf and Cub collection. He showed me a scene from one of the movies and it was so great! Plus I want to know what everybody is always raving about..

BuckRuckus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by BuckRuckus » 30 Jan 2007 18:15

I'll loan you Lone Wolf if you want. But if you read it, and decide you dont like it- then we can't be friends anymore! Do you really want to take that chance?

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 21 Feb 2007 03:10

http://www.indigo-art.co.uk/brem/ham/ham.htm
This free short story is sick!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 21 Feb 2007 17:07

I am the king of awesome Amazon deals!
The complete Gunsmith Cats Vol. 1 for $15!!!!!!!!
464 pages!! I've read all of Gunsmith Cats, and it's soooo good! If you like guns and cars or just guns or just cars, or a really good story about female bounty hunters... So good!

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1593077 ... pe_snp_483
EDIT: Nevermind -- after placing my order they said that it's no longer available, even though it was a pre-order... weird.

I just discovered tfaw.com through Dark Horse, and ordered all of the books that I have been waiting a year for (for some) and haven't been able to find elsewhere!! I also got this Gunsmith Cats book, though it was the same price, likely in USA. Here's what I got:
-Blade of the Immortal 16: Shortcut
-Domu TPB
-Hard Boiled TPB
-Lone Wolf 2100 TPB #1 + #3
-Black Magic (the one that I've been waiting a year for...)
-Gunsmith Cats Omnibus #1

I also went to The Beguiling with Mike last weekend and got a David Mack Daredevil TPB, and Hellboy: Strange Places. Was going to order Jim Lee's Batman Hush hardcover 2-part-inclusive collection and Tim Sale's Batman Victory and Batman Long Halloween, but they're not books that I want as badly, so they will wait.

And I've been slowly reading his Lone Wolf and Cub, and we've been watching the movies too, which are awesome. Yay comics!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Apr 2007 22:58

I've got a bunch of books recently, and they're awesome:
MOST RECENTLY:
-Essential X-Men Vol. 1 + 2 (John Byrne) I can't believe how deliciously cheap these are! I had to skip the first 3/4 of the first book though, 'cause it's not Byrne, and it's very bad...
-Hellspawn: The Ashley Wood Collection (Ash Wood) -- older Ashley Wood stuff...not that great...

A LITTLE BIT AGO:
-Grande Finale (Ashley Wood artbook) -- typical Ashley Wood artbook (80% of stuff is already taken from other of his books... ie: not much diference between this and Sencilla Finale...)
-Hard Boiled (Geof Darrow)
-The Fountain (Kent Williams) -- Very Ashley Wood-esque!
-Lore Vol. 2 (Ash Wood) -- 90% text...I do not recommend this book :(
-Batman Hush Vol. 1 + 2 (Jim Lee) -- kinda crappy... but I remembered liking Jim Lee...
-Batman: The Long Halloween (Tim Sale)
-Batman: Dark Victory (Tim Sale)
-Danger Girl: The Complete Collection (J. Scott Campbell)
-Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser (Mike Mignola) -- older school Mignola, but still TOP NOTCH! Based on some classic fantasy characters, and written really gothicesquely -- brilliant! (as is Mike Mignola..)
-Rose (some guy) -- prequel to Bone, written by Jeff Smith, and nice watercolours by some other guy who makes his style look similar to Smith's -- and in colour...
-Empowered (Adam Warren) -- typical superhero smut by Adam Warren (ie: tastelessly awesome)
-Gunsmith Cats: Omnibus Volume 1 (Kenichi Sonoda) -- just collects a ton of the Gunsmith Cats books. I've read the whole series, but it's rad to have it in a one-book format sorta thing (well I think there are more coming out...and I think the series is being continued?)...
-Domu (Katsuhiro Otomo) -- obviously brilliant...
-Lone Wolf and Cub: 2001 Volume 1 + 3 -- pretty bad... though I remembered Volume 2 being good...
-Blade of the Immortal #16? (whichever one I said I was ordering before)

Maybe some other stuff too :)
I've spent so much money on comics since I graduated from school a year ago... I guess I'm making up for having fallen out of the loop for so many years.

I finished Volume 12 of Lone Wolf and Cub last night. Geez, this stuff is good. That's about all I have to say. Not enough people post about comics. I made this geeky post in the post about the person above you about X-Men, and stuff. I'm so knowledgeable -- ho ho ho. Oh, I played a lot of X-Men Legends when I got it a couple months ago, and there is a trivia mini-game and I got every question right :twisted:

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 29 Apr 2007 06:12

When I first saw the Matrix and the technology of the real word, I instantly thought of Geof Darrow's work; all the exposed wires wrapping around thin metal framework like so many vines gone out of control. I found out some time later that he was actually one of the conceptual artists for the films. His attention to detail makes the fantastic and the outrageous seem so lifelike and believable.

Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 29 Apr 2007 23:03

Oh yeah, Mike and I were talking about Darrow's Matrix stuff, because I was talking about Steve Skroce, the X-Man artist for some reason, and so I Googled Skroce to show Mike some of his stuff and it was such a coincidence that we'd been talking about Geof Darrow, and then the result I found on Skroce was something explaining how Darrow and Skroce worked on The Matrix together!

Spooky.
Steve Skroce is also wicked...though I haven't seen his recent stuff.

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 30 May 2007 18:19

I got some Simpsons comics given to me lately. Mostly #1's. I'm extremely surprised by the content. Bartman comics are cool! A bunch of other stuff that were in the box too. I haven't had the time to look through it all, but hey, free comics! Woot!
Pengpeng Du