Favorite video games?

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Favorite video games?

Post by C-Fan » 09 Nov 2012 14:19

What are your all-time favorite video games? Why? Take a stab at a top 5 or top 10, even if it's not in order.

For me, I think these games would be on my top 10. Maybe not 100% in this order, but it's roughly this:

1. Portal/Portal2. So funny, so creative, so much fun. I loved the puzzle aspect, and the comedy in it.
2. Team Fortress 2. I've played this game so long, and they keep making ways to make it fun. I love the teamwork aspect of the game, and how teamwork trumps individual skill. I also really enjoy the trading economy of it...its almost like another game on top of it.
3. Half Life games. Half Life 1 was for years the greatest game I ever played. So ahead of it's time. I was not disappointed by Half Life 2 and the sequels either. I love the idea of being in a story, solving puzzles, and not just being a mindless killer.
4. Capcom vs. SNK2/MVC2. These games aren't synonymous, but they came out around the same time and for years these were my choice games in the arcade. I just loved the whole competition of going head to head, picking different characters with different strategies, and making decisions on the fly. Getting beaten, and then coming back with different characters and stomping them.
5. Full Throttle (old LucasArts game, ala Monkey Island). Kind of linear, but I loved the cartoon graphics and puzzles. Good humor too.
6. Mario Kart games. The game itself is OK, but when you're racing against friends, using the items to thwart each other in a close race...so much fun.

Apparently a site is giving away a free copy of Bioshock today, which is a game I always wanted to try. Thoughts on it? Any other game recommendations?
Last edited by C-Fan on 20 Dec 2012 09:22, edited 1 time in total.

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Re: Favorite video games?

Post by akalazou » 09 Nov 2012 17:26

In first position by far , Half-Life 1, i played this game almost everyday from 2000 to 2006. i still have it installed, ppl still come at me to play, i even had to enter a tournament for team Canada because i used to be in the competition community, i didnt have to play, which i didn't, they just needed a player to fill the line up. i played many tournaments, i even started a clan named [LAG] and had amazing players in it like GaRpY 8O . i managed to kill him some times :D (Ken, i hope you have heard about GaRpY, if not, youtube him, he was THE best player in the world , his a HL1 legend). My favorite map is boot_camp and i used to be a damn good player in datacore. I'd love to play with/against you Ken :D

2. Tf2, same mechanics, great game, so many ways to play the game, and valve always put new stuff to reinvent it.

3. Super Mario Bros 1-2, 2 classics

4. Gran Turismo 1, i pasted so many hour on this game.

5. i dont know about 5, but like Ken i really enjoyed Portal, and i LOVED Metroid on NES

edit: special note for Super Meat Boy, one of the best platform game ever, on steam
Last edited by akalazou on 10 Nov 2012 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Julien Cote

Proud to be sponsored by http://www.kolosport.com

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 09 Nov 2012 22:21

All-time favourites:
1) Elder Scrolls (PC)
2) Vagrant Story (PSX)
3) Metal Gear Solid (PSX, PS2, PS3)

Other favourites:
4) Ico and Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
5) Demon's Souls and Dark Souls (PS3)
6) Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain (PS2 and PS3)
7) Minecraft (PC)

Uncharted (PS3)

Needless to say I like third-person action-adventure games heavy on plot and cutscenes. I don't play Elder Scrolls in first-person. I wouldn't play if there was no option for third-person. I wasn't super enthused about Skyrim. I stopped halfway through the main storyline too :/ I'm super-nerd into the lore though. Vagrant Story is super similar to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. I love that game. Super intense. I wouldn't say Uncharted is a favourite game, but I really, really like the series and it's my favourite format. Other games I really like are the Lego games (mostly the Star Wars ones), Grand Theft Auto, and the Max Payne games. Also needless to say that I'm really looking forward to The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, and The Last Guardian!

Currently playing Dark Souls and Max Payne 3. And Lego Harry Potter with my girlfriend. /geekout
I think there was a thread like this a bunch of years ago and my top 3 was the same.
EDIT: I wanted to post without bias from reading posts before mine. I want to add that Bionic Commando was my favourite NES game and I've beat the "sequel" (not "Rearmed", though I beat that one too (but not Rearmed 2)) on PC 2 times before buying it for PS3 to beat again. So good. Another NES favourite was Faxanadu. Too many games!

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 10 Nov 2012 10:56

All time favorite:
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (genesis) - I used to spend countless hours playing this game. I can still pick it up and make it to the end boss without a single death.

Others:
-Super C (nes) - a classic contra game. You only get 3 lives. No continues.
-TMNT 3 the manhattan project (nes) - Another game where i've spent countless hours
-F.E.A.R. 2 (pc)- One of the first games I've ever played that made me jump out of my seat. Still lots of fun
-Metal Gear Solid (ps1) - This game was way ahead of its time... and a big step up from the nes metal gear.
-Tomb Raider (Sega saturn) - Played this game for about 2 years straight. Eventually worked on speed runs.
-Half-Life 1 (pc) - Combinations of puzzles and kicking ass. Could be frustrating at times but it was always worth it. The re-done version of half-life 1 that came out last month called "black mesa" was made available for free online.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 10 Nov 2012 11:03

Nice. Super C was another NES game I must have played through like 10 times. Did you ever play Life Force? It was by the same company and was really similar except spaceships instead of the two guys.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 18 Dec 2012 14:30

Just finished Portal 2. I don't think I'd list it as a separate slot on my list, so much as change the Portal entry (no pun intended) to "Portal/Portal 2." Definitely a worthy sequel...didn't just feel like a rehash, the humor was great, and I appreciate the extra length (TWSS). I have yet to play the co-op too, so I imagine this can only go up in stock for me.

$10 well spent for sure.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 18 Dec 2012 21:18

Bioshock was really cool, although I guess too late to say so. It's good to see something good be inspired by Ayn Rand :P

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 18 Dec 2012 22:13

Jeremy wrote:Bioshock was really cool, although I guess too late to say so. It's good to see something good be inspired by Ayn Rand :P
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvIU1e7k7Oc[/youtube]

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 19 Dec 2012 16:05

I don't play any video games currently, and I'm definitely not looking to change that. I never really considered myself a gamer of that sort, but I've played many over the years and enjoyed some of them more than others. Some noteworthy favorites:

Atari's original Pitfall. The game was stupid, but I was young, and it was generally better than most of the other games I had on my old Atari 800 (the Atari 800 was, as far as I could tell, totall idential to the better-known Atari 2600 except that the power and reset bottons were slightly different). Looking back, almost everything else on that original Atari system was very very lame, but I'd spend hours playing those games anyway. Space-Invaders, Combat, Galaga, etc, etc. All stoopid. Hmmm, perhaps Spy Hunter and River Raid weren't bad...

Nintendo NES original Super Mario Brothers. Again, a dumb game, but so iconic of that time -- I could never quite get enough of it --- I just never got tired of it. I never really cared at all about any of the sequels -- it was all about the original, with the Warp Zones and fireflowers and turtles, etc. I never actually owned my own Nintendo NES, or any other iteration. I think the Atari was the first and last dedicated video game console I ever owned (I'm not counting any PCs as a dedicated game console, even it that was primarily what I used my PCs for).

Also on the original Nintendo, I really liked CastleVania. Again, I never really cared for the sequels.

And speaking of PC games:
I really enjoyed the original Zork (the classic text-only game --- "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.")
I had good fun with Kings Quest and Kings Quest 3 and 4 (or was it 2 and 3? I can't remember anymore which ones I played and which I didn't).
Space Quest was fun -- there was a game-within-a-game --- your character had to play a stand-up stand-alone style arcade game in a bar -- if you got a high-enough score the game would display a secret code that you needed for some other purpose. The arcade game, if memory serves, was called "Astro-Chicken". Of course the game was perfectly stupid, but, Space Quest was meant to be funny. Like, when you start out, one of your emergency supplies is a bag of "powdered water"... when you're attacked by a big monster, you throw the powdered water at it -- the monster swallows the bag of powdered water whole and then explodes... Funny game.

I played alot of "Wizardry" -- I tried a sequel or two, but didn't get into it --- after essentially beating Wizardry I had basically had enough.

"Rogue" was one of my favorite early PC games --- it was really hard. I almost but never quite beat the game, and then accidentally copied-over that floppy disc. I'd play it again until I beat it, if I could, but I'm not so tech-savvy as to find a re-made rogue simulator to play now.

Back to gaming consoles, I really liked the first Tony Hawk Pro-Skater, but never really cared for any of the sequels.
I really liked Street Figher II, but never really cared about any of the sequels. I think, again, after having played the first one so much I just didn't have enough interest left in me for updates.

Real arcade games... (I guess Street Fighter II was initially a real arcade game, but it wasn't long before it was on Super Nintendo, and I played it on both, but more-so on the Super Nintendo):

Gauntlet... The Elf needs food BADLY! The Wizard is about to die...
There was an early "Star Trek" arcade game that really kicked butt. It was extra-cool if you found one that had a built-in seat, with the game controls on the arm-rests -- the seat was basically supposed to be the captain's chair.
There was a "Star Trek: The Next Generation" Pinball game that was unusually good too, come to think of it.
The original Kung Fu Master was good fun. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd level where the mini-boss at the end of that level was, like, a wizard who threw little bombs at you as well as hornets... that was the coolest level.

A very early Skateboarding arcade game was pretty dope --- I think it was just called "720"
There were 2 different Tron video games, I thought both of them were pretty cool, but the Tron disc-throwing game was preffered. I think it might have been called "Tron - Deadly Discs"

Ahh, so many arcade games, so many memories... I can kind of remember a few other games that were unusually interesting to me, and then I have a very very vague sensation of almost being able to remember a couple more but now I can't quite picture them...

edit: OOh! I almost forgot -- when I was in highschool, my best friend was much more computer-savvy then I, and we used to play a few BBS games that were pretty cool -- the first was a text game called TradeWars (or maybe it was TradeWars 2002 --- it the game dated from way before 2002), and even better was Operation Overkill --- the graphics were very basic, but it was still awesome.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 19 Dec 2012 17:27

Outsider wrote: Atari's original Pitfall. The game was stupid, but I was young, and it was generally better than most of the other games I had on my old Atari 800 (the Atari 800 was, as far as I could tell, totall idential to the better-known Atari 2600 except that the power and reset bottons were slightly different). Looking back, almost everything else on that original Atari system was very very lame, but I'd spend hours playing those games anyway. Space-Invaders, Combat, Galaga, etc, etc. All stoopid. Hmmm, perhaps Spy Hunter and River Raid weren't bad...
Sounds like you and Jack Black have something in common:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_AtNY0bYAA[/youtube]

Bigfoot_bag
Shredaholic

Post by Bigfoot_bag » 22 Dec 2012 06:57

Best game ever Soleil - genesis
Most played by me - Zelda´s sage from gameboy
I actually play Left 4 dead 2 and Dayz

Taskmaster99
Circle Kicker