Ken and Asmus talk about the 2014 NBA Season

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
Asmus
Ass Moose

Re: Ken and Asmus talk about the 2014 NBA Season

Post by Asmus » 31 Mar 2014 04:18

Anybody looking for a job?
Sales, Service, & Marketing: Mascot

Mascot Coordinator - Milwaukee Bucks (Milwaukee, WI)

Job Summary

The Milwaukee Bucks are currently seeking a candidate to fill the position of Mascot Coordinator. This person is a world-class performer and ambassador for the Milwaukee Bucks in-arena and out in the community.

Job Description

I. Bango
• Oversee all aspects of the Milwaukee Bucks mascot program including all variations of the character (Air Bango’s, etc…)
• Perform as Bango at ALL Bucks home games, select community and Bucks events, domestic and international events.
• Actively contribute to the goals of the Game Entertainment / Events department and the organization to promote the Milwaukee Bucks throughout the community from branding, ticket sales, corporate sales, community relations and publicity standpoint.
• Represent the Milwaukee Bucks and Bango in a professional and appropriate manner at all times, inside and outside the suit.
• Create new entertainment and sustain past successes for use at performances, including on-court skits/dances/stunts, pre-taped videos, in-stands interaction and improvisation, and off-site event entertainment.
• Develop and direct a revenue program for the Bango brand.
• Purchase, manage, and maintain ALL Bango assets including: costumes, outfits, props, vehicles, and other items used by Bango.
• Work with Director of Game / Event Presentation to create and implement an in-game repertoire and schedule for all home games and special events.
• Schedule and oversee rehearsals, workouts, practice sessions, and any other extra-curricular activities pertaining to the Bango program. Maintain skills and physical fitness through participation in such activities.
• Maintain a budget for Bango spending, providing all necessary documents and purchases to Accounting Department. Work with Supervisor when necessary and as directed.
• Attend Annual NBA Mascot conference, as well as other workshops and events with Director’s approval.
• Collaborate with individuals throughout the Milwaukee Bucks organization to develop new ideas and projects, utilizing the Bango program to further success other departments as well as own program.
• Assist in maintaining Bango website and other social media outlets including: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Respond to fan mail, emails and other requests directed to Bango.
• Regularly attend and contribute to Department meetings, providing creative input, ideas, brainstorming, and upcoming ventures.

II. Rim Rockers – Official Acrobatic Dunk Team of the Milwaukee Bucks
• Hire and manage the most qualified Rim Rockers, utilizing professional auditions, video submission, and/or interviews.
• Choreograph, supervise and schedule all Rim Rocker practices and appearances in-arena and out in the community
• Oversee all marketing promotion of the dunk team including: website, social media, etc…

Job Qualifications
• 3 years of PROFESSIONAL or COLLEGIATE mascot experience required.
• College degree preferred or equivalent experience.
• Gymnastics, dance, and acrobatic dunking experience strongly recommended.
• Other skills (juggling, uni-cycling, tumbling, belaying, dancing, stilt-walking, etc...) could be considered a bonus.
• Stunt skills or training a plus.
• Ability to excite, motivate, and entertain a crowd. Great sense of humor a must.
• Ability to relate and respond to various personalities and actions, especially children.
• Must possess extraordinary level of creativity, energy and spontaneity.
• Must be of good moral character and successfully complete all pre-employment screening.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and other related computer skills required.
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure.
• Strong organizational skills, time management skills and attention to detail required.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with an emphasis on business writing skills.
• Ability to work independently without supervision, be self-directed and demonstrate initiative.
• Ability to work collaboratively with others whom you have no direct authority over
• Strong teamwork and team synergy skills required
• Excellent ability to establish rapport with others and ability to build strong interpersonal relationships
• Availability and willingness to work extended hours, including nights and weekends and accommodate occasional flexible scheduling (be on-call as necessary)
• Strong knowledge of the NBA and the Milwaukee Bucks

Physical & Mental Requirements
• While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, use handle or feel, reach stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk and hear.
• Extreme athletic fitness and ability level required.
• Must be able to withstand and perform within extreme heat conditions, restrictive outfits, and impaired vision.
• Ability to perform on feet in mentioned conditions for at least three hours at a time.
• Must be able to run up and down stairs several times during a game.
• Nature of the position requires unlimited physical mobility and the ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds

In order to be considered you must submit a resume and cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position. Final selection will be determined through a thorough audition, interview session, and a screening process at the Milwaukee Bucks executive offices.

Applicants must successfully pass a background check.

Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:

1. Do you have any mascot performance experience at the college, minor-league or professional level?

http://nbateamjobs.teamworkonline.com/t ... 20Bucks%20

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 31 Mar 2014 06:17

What's the pay?

In all seriousness, I love that the job requires proficiency in Microsoft Office products. :lol:

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 31 Mar 2014 12:00

I produce office e-learning courses so if that is what people need to get this I will hook a shred brotha up. Hehe.
I have a feeling it pays well.

Thanks for hooking me up with the Grantland podcasts. They are great. Jalen Rose is a legend.

I've been doing my research lately.
Watching a lot of documentaries, listening to podcasts at work and sneaking in reading an article here and there.

Kinda wanna buy a league pass to NBA.com but 90% at least of the games are too late for me to watch anyways.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 01 Apr 2014 07:46

If you're into basketball documentaries, I highly recommend one called "The Other Dream Team." It's about the history of basketball in Lithuania, culminating with the 1992 olympics. Very interesting history of Soviet domination of Eastern Europe, and the characters are great too. Very moving, and you also get to see footage of Sabonis when he was a beast (not the broken down Saba who played for the Blazers, and had no knees left).

NBA season is winding down, and its actually kinda interesting in both conferences to see the jockeying for playoff position. In the East, the Heat took the top seed from the Pacers. For a long time, I didn't think the Heat would be able to catch up, but the Pacers have looked burned out lately. This could be a huge deal, since homecourt will probably matter a lot in a Heat-Pacers matchup in the Eastern finals. Yes, I still think this is the most likely matchup in the conference finals. I just don't think the Raptors are for real. If any other team sneaks into the Eastern finals, it will be the Bulls. But I also think that's unlikely.

Out West, there are 5 teams fighting for the last 4 slots in the conference: Memphis, Golden State, Dallas, Portland, and Phoenix. If any of those teams were in the East, right now they'd be a #3 seed. Crazy how unbalanced the conferences are. But yeah, looking at that list I think Memphis and Golden State have the best chance to stay in the playoffs. After that, I don't really know.

Finally, it must be noted that the Spurs are on an 18 game winning streak. If they hadn't had so much trouble with the Thunder in the past few years, I'd make them a lock for the Finals. I definitely think they're a lock for the Western Finals, and I'd also make them a favorite over the Thunder, but not by much. I've hated the Spurs for about 10 years now, but you really have to give the organization credit. Popp is probably the best coach in the NBA now (followed by Thibs in Chicago), and Duncan is amazingly good for being in his 18th year or whatever in the NBA.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 02 Apr 2014 08:51

Must-read article, but you HAVE to listen to the song while you read it. Wow.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/03/sport ... s-old.html

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 04 Apr 2014 06:14

C-Fan wrote:
Finally, it must be noted that the Spurs are on an 18 game winning streak. If they hadn't had so much trouble with the Thunder in the past few years, I'd make them a lock for the Finals. I definitely think they're a lock for the Western Finals, and I'd also make them a favorite over the Thunder, but not by much.
Sure enough, it was the Thunder that ended the Spurs streak at 19 last night (Popp rested Manu). I'd bet money the Western finals will be Spurs and Thunder, and I really don't know how that'll shake out.

In other news, it looks like the Knicks have a good chance at making the playoffs, since the Hawks have no interest in that 8th seed. I have to admit, I think a Knicks-Heat series would be more fun to watch than a Heat-Hawks one, if for no other reason than Carmelo might win one game on his own. I have heard some interesting talk about whether the #1 or #2 seed in the East is more desirable. In the first round it won't matter much either way (you either play a weak Knicks team, or a weak Bobcats that are just happy to be there). But in the second round, the #1 seed will have to play against the winner of the Nets-Bulls series, which should be a lot harder than playing the winner of the Washington-Toronto series. So in that sense, the #2 seed may have an easier path than the #1 seed to get to the East finals, which is kind of weird.

Last thought: in 12 days I will go to my first Nuggets game since moving here like 4 years ago. My fiancee bought tix for me as a birthday gift, and picked that game cause she knows I like the Warriors. Pretty excited to see Steph Curry play in person. It is the last game of the season though, so hopefully the Warriors don't rest all their good players before the playoffs. I'm hoping that seeding will still be in play, and they won't do this. Should be fun regardless.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 04 Apr 2014 06:30

Nice update. Looking forward to hear about the Nuggets game.

You wanna bet a beer if the Knicks make playoff or not? I will obviously say yes.

Here is the latest addition to my room:

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 04 Apr 2014 07:19

Asmus wrote:You wanna bet a beer if the Knicks make playoff or not? I will obviously say yes.
Like I wrote in my last post, I think the Knicks are more likely than not to squeak in. But if I wanted to consider this bet, what I would do is look at the remaining schedule for both teams, and figure out which team is more likely to win a higher percentage of their remaining games. Since the Knicks and Hawks are basically statistically tied at this point, whoever wins more to close out the season should get the 8 seed (the Cavs are mathematically in this race, but not realistically).

Looking at the Hawks, they have 8 games left in the season. The good teams in this stretch include the Heat, Pacers, Nets, and Bobcats. Normally those would be tough games, but its possible some of those teams may rest key players for the playoffs, since their seeds may be locked up by the last week of the year, and the games against the hawks won't affect their seeding. So lets say the Hawks win 1 out of these 4 games. They also have 4 games against remarkably bad teams: detroit, milwaukee, boston, and cleveland. All of these are eminently winnable, even if the Hawks aren't trying. Let's say they win 3 of 4 of these. So with these predictions, the Hawks can close the remainder of their season with 0.500 ball, which is pretty good. That's assuming they don't blatantly tank, and also that they don't play inspired ball either. For the past month, they've been closer to tanking than anything, but I still think they should go 0.500 over this 8 game stretch.

Looking at the Knicks, they have 6 games left. All of these games are against playoff teams, but in good news they are all against Eastern playoff teams. Half of these games are home games, and one of the "away" games is in Brooklyn, which is basically a home game too. That should help. The teams they play, in order of strength, are the Heat, Bulls, Raptors (twice), and the Nets/Wizards. The Heat may rest players, depending on the seeding situation, but that's not guaranteed. The Bulls never take a game off. The Raptors can't really move up or down in the standings, so they may rest key players in the final game of the season, while the Nets and Wizards should scrap to the end because they can improve playoff seeding. Assuming the Hawks do close the season out playing 500 ball, the Knicks would have to win 3 of these games to claim the 8 spot. I think that's a harder road than the Hawks have, but the Knicks seem a lot more motivated to make the playoffs than the Hawks, so in that sense I like their chances better.

If I had to bet today, I'd give the Knicks a slight edge to beat the Hawks out for the playoffs. But we're talking like a 55-45 split, and the more I look at each team's remaining schedule, the more I wonder about it.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 05 Apr 2014 09:07

C-Fan wrote:
Looking at the Hawks, ... They also have 4 games against remarkably bad teams: detroit, milwaukee, boston, and cleveland. All of these are eminently winnable, even if the Hawks aren't trying. Let's say they win 3 of 4 of these.

Looking at the Knicks, they have 6 games left. while the Nets and Wizards should scrap to the end because they can improve playoff seeding. .
Last night the Hawks beat Cleveland, and the Knicks lost to Washington. Knicks fans should be sweating now...

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 06 Apr 2014 16:58

And today the Hawks beat the Pacers (!), and the Knicks lost to Miami. Knicks are basically toast...expect them to be mathematically out of the playoff hunt in a couple days.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 06 Apr 2014 22:30

I saw the Miami game. Knicks started out amazing. 4 turnovers on LeBron in the first 3 minutes.
Then LeBron found his mojo and Melo never found his.

I am not taking the bet anymore that's for sure... :(

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 15 Apr 2014 08:30

I was offline for a few days, so I caught up a bit this morning on what I missed.

:arrow: The Knicks and the Suns both missed the playoffs. The Knicks have 2 games left in the season, and the Suns 1, but they are basically going to finish with opposite records from each other, which is nuts (around 48 wins for the Suns, and around 48 losses for the Knicks).
:arrow: If you asked me right now, I'd probably bet that Carmelo leaves the Knicks this summer. Yes, they can offer him more money than other teams. But really, management is a mess, their salary structure is a mess for a couple years, and he can get close to the same money on much better teams. Why would he stay?
:arrow: Indiana clinched the #1 seed in the East. That's key, since that means they'll face the Hawks in the first round, which is a lot easier than facing Charlotte. That said, they'll have to face Brooklyn or Chicago in the second round, which is likely going to be a harder matchup than the second round opponent for the #2 seed, which will be either Toronto or Washington. That's weird how the seeds are set up that way.
:arrow: In bad news for me, the Warriors clinched the 6th seed in the West. Why is this bad news? Because I'm going to go watch them play in Denver tomorrow, and since its a meaningless game for them right before the playoffs, they may end up sitting their best players. The whole reason I want to see them is to watch Steph Curry play, so if he sits I'm going to be pissed. My fiancee bought us tickets as a xmas present, but she got them for me as a surprise, so I couldn't warn her the dangers of buying tix to the last game of the season. Hopefully Steph plays though, and it should be a fun time regardless.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 17 Apr 2014 07:37

C-Fan wrote: :arrow: In bad news for me, the Warriors clinched the 6th seed in the West. ... since its a meaningless game for them right before the playoffs, they may end up sitting their best players. The whole reason I want to see them is to watch Steph Curry play, so if he sits I'm going to be pissed. Hopefully Steph plays though, and it should be a fun time regardless.
Whoof, this was a brutal game. Curry, David Lee, and Bogut all were in street clothes. Iguodala was in warmups, but never played. Klay Thompson played less than 5 minutes in the first quarter, then sat. Best players on the court for the Warriors were Speights and Jordan Crawford. Ty Lawson didn't play for the Nuggets. I felt so bad my fiancee spent money on tickets for this game...she just didn't know how dangerous it is to buy tickets for a game at the end of the season. Kinda depressed me. I'm an NBA nerd and like to think I know everybody in the league, but the Warriors played a couple of stiffs I either thought were out of the league a few years ago (Hilton Armstrong?!?) or were D-Leaguers who had to be on 10 day contracts (who the fuck is Kuzmec?). Just terrible.

In better news, the playoffs start this weekend. Basically every game in the West is one I want to watch. I dont think I'll tune into the Eastern playoffs until the second round.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 21 Apr 2014 09:44

1st weekend of the playoffs were great. I watched a couple games, but unfortunately I made a bad call on one of the best games. Last night the Rockets were up 10 pts with 5:35 remaining, and nothing I'd seen from the Blazers made me think they'd come back. I went to bed, and woke up to see that the Blazers forced overtime and won by 2. Wow. Don't feel that bad though, since I needed the sleep, and there are sure to be many more good games coming up.
C-Fan wrote: :arrow: Indiana clinched the #1 seed in the East. That's key, since that means they'll face the Hawks in the first round, which is a lot easier than facing Charlotte.
I still stand by that statement (that Charlotte would be tougher than the Hawks), but the way the Pacers played it almost doesn't matter. I still think the Pacers will beat the Hawks since they are just more talented, but man, they look like they're in trouble.

A couple more quick hits:

:arrow: Knicks fired their coach, Mike Woodson today. Not very surprising, considering how badly they underperformed this year, and the fact that they just brought on Phil Jackson will all that fanfare. I don't think Woodson is a bad coach, but he's not the best either. But really, when you have JR Smith and Bargnani in your lineup, your options for success are limited.

:arrow: Saw this dunk live, and I jumped out of my seat. I like McRoberts in general, and I thought he played great. Image

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 21 Apr 2014 11:58

I saw the first Warriors - Pacers game! Super entertaining stuff!

Really hope I can catch a lot of games in the coming weeks.
Gonna see if I can find a full schedule of the matches so I can know when the early games are.

I agree about Woodson. Gonna be interesting to see who they pick to take over and whats gonna happen with Melo.
It's not gonna be mellow in NY.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 22 Apr 2014 02:18

Who is gonna win dem ringz Ken?

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 22 Apr 2014 06:19

Oh man, good question. This year's playoffs feel more wide open than any in recent memory. If you put a gun to my head, I think I'd have to say the Spurs. The Thunder are great, but their coaching leaves a lot to be desired. The Heat have the best player, but I just don't trust them past the big 3, and even there Wade is an injury liability.

To sum up my thinking:

1. The Heat win the East. I used to think the Pacers would put up a fight, but they look awful now. I feel confident saying the Heat win the East.
2. That said, I don't think the Heat are better than the Thunder or Spurs.
3. The Spurs should have an easier path to the Finals than the Thunder, and if they face a beat up Thunder team in the Western Finals, I think they can win it with their homecourt advantage.

Adding all that up, I think the Spurs beat the Heat in the Finals. My heart is hoping that the Thunder beat the Heat in the Finals, but I think the Spurs have a slightly better chance.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 24 Apr 2014 08:23

Every first round series has finished their first 2 games. It's early in the playoffs, but here are some quick thoughts on each series.

:arrow: Heat-Bobcats (Heat lead 2-0). Nothing surprising here so far. I thought the Bobcats could have stolen a game if Al Jefferson were healthy, but now that he's hobbling around with that foot injury, this should be a sweep. Nothing notable on either side here...this was predicted to be a sweep, and still should. Heat in 4.

:arrow: Nets-Raptors (tied 1-1). Not sure what to make of this series. Raptors looked very nervous in Game 1 and lost, but looked a lot better in game 2. I think the Nets still win this series though, just based on their experience level. They got the split on the road, stealing home court advantage, and that's what they needed to do. I say Nets in 6.

:arrow: Wizards-Bulls (Wiz lead 2-0). Wow. Did NOT see this one coming. I really thought the Bulls defense was good enough that they'd challenge to make the Eastern Finals. I underestimated how bad their offense is though. If you have to choose between an elite offense or defense, I think you choose defense...but if you have no offense at all, sometimes that's not enough. I think the Wiz would have been happy getting a split on the road, but the fact that they are going back to their homecourt with a 2-0 advantage...they have to be smelling blood. Bulls are in trouble. Wiz in 5,

:arrow: Indiana-Hawks (tied 1-1). Pacers have to be embarrassed they lost homecourt. The Hawks limped into the playoffs as the 8th seed in the East, which is basically like being the 12th best team in the West. Indy has had offensive dysfunction for a while now, but I think it looks even worse because they match up poorly against the Hawks. Hawks basically have long range shooting at every position, while the Pacers core has 2 non-mobile big men who can't stretch out that far. Indy should still win this based on pure talent, but while this should have been a Pacers sweep, I think it's going to be a 6-7 game series instead.

West later.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 25 Apr 2014 06:19

C-Fan wrote: :arrow: Indiana-Hawks (tied 1-1). Pacers have to be embarrassed they lost homecourt. Indy should still win this based on pure talent, but while this should have been a Pacers sweep, I think it's going to be a 6-7 game series instead.
Game 3 was last night, and the Hawks beat the Pacers again. This is looking increasingly bad for the Pacers. I mean, even if they do manage to gut out a series win, does anybody have any confidence they can beat the Wizards or Bulls in the next round? I sure don't.

Right now, I'm predicting a Heat-Wizards Eastern Finals. No way would I have guessed that 2 weeks ago.

I watched most of the Griz-Thunder game, and the first 3/4 of the Clips-Warriors joint. Clippers' coach Doc Rivers is totally playing it smart by guarding the hell out of Steph Curry, and making the other Warriors beat them. That's exactly the right play. As for Griz-Thunder, I think this goes seven games. Even if the Thunder end up winning, I think it's time for them to fire their coach. The only reason they've been in these games at all is because Westbrook and Durant are such transcendant talents. But the coach just doesn't have a system in place. He'll call a play, and if the play breaks down there's no plan B beyond "give it to Westbrook or Durant and let them improvise." That may work OK in the regular season, but I'll tell you now it ain't going to beat the Spurs.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 28 Apr 2014 09:11

C-Fan wrote: Right now, I'm predicting a Heat-Wizards Eastern Finals. No way would I have guessed that 2 weeks ago.
This still looks good, but man, what a crazy first round so far. Basically, only the Heat have performed the way we all expected. The Bulls and Rockets are down 3-1 even though they had home court, the Spurs and Pacers have their hands full against 8 seeds nobody expected to win, and there have been more OT games in the first round than ever before. What a treat. So many amazing buzzer beaters and four point plays...my head has basically exploded already.

Keep it coming please.