Asmus and maybe others talk about the 2014 FIFA World Cup

This is the forum to discuss non-footbag movies, TV, music, videogames, and art.
Asmus
Ass Moose

Asmus and maybe others talk about the 2014 FIFA World Cup

Post by Asmus » 11 Jun 2014 23:14

The FIFA World Cup starts today!

Since Denmark isn’t going (and usually disappoints horribly anyways) I have picked two other outsider teams that I am rooting for.

First one is Daniel Boyle’s very own Chile. They play fast attacking football with a high pressure defense just like I like it. They can play various formations and this is something I feel could be a key for their success against some of the bigger teams. Another thing that makes me believe in them this year is that their biggest talents are starting to become superstars and leaders in their respective European clubs.

I feel like they could have a World Cup like Uruguay did last time.

My other outsider is Belgium and now you might think “I never heard of Belgium and soccer?” and you might be right but they do have an insanely talented young roster. Their most interesting player is Manchester United’s winger Januzaj - who is only 19! Goalkeeper Courtois, veteran defender Vincent Kompany and midfielder Eden Hazard also need to be mentioned here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEtzCL6e4co[/youtube]

boyle
Post Master General

Re: Asmus and maybe others talk about the 2014 FIFA World Cu

Post by boyle » 11 Jun 2014 23:24

Well...now I am back in my very own land Of Australia. ..hmmm...they are in a rebuilding phase. Chile are going to be great to watch, though they are mentally fragile and prone to letting in goals.

I still think Colombia will give the thing a good shake, even without Falcao. I have been expecting a Brazil Argentina final, but I am not sure Brazil will cope with the home pressure.

Going to be exciting to watch. Looking forward to watching many games.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 12 Jun 2014 04:45

Summing up my thoughts very well:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I[/youtube]

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 13 Jun 2014 11:36

Opening Game: Brazil - Croatia 3 - 1
Brazil didn't play amazingly but looked determined and came back after going behind on an own goal.
First Brazil goal was scored on a penalty that wasn't there but then the young superstars Neymar and Oscar scored two amazing goals.
Promising start for the favorites against the strongest team in their group.

Neymar is amazing. So much pressure from an entire nation on a guy who is only 22 years old and still he steps up and delivers. Wow!

Mexico - Cameroun 1 - 0
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9V3C7cK9BY[/youtube]
The two other teams in the group of Brazil and Croatia. I thought Cameroun would have been the stronger team but they played horribly. Mexico got two goals wrongfully annulled in the first half. Let's not hope referee mistakes will be a big factor this year.
Mexico looked decent. Jonathan Dos Santos was the highlight of the match. I still think Brazil will win the group and Croatia take second.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Jun 2014 16:39

Good morning of goals here this morning. 10 goals in Group B. Big surprise with the Dutch crushing Spain. Though the Chile vs Aus game was good, Australia gained a lot of respect, but couldn't finish off the job. Spain may have some trouble, particularly if they go down to Chile, which has been my prediction for a long time.

That flying header in the Dutch game (Van Persie's first goal) was pretty spectacular.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 14 Jun 2014 00:28

Yeah Australia did well I thought. Cahill is amazing.

I'm surprised so many people think the Brazil penalty wasn't there. I would think if you put your hand on somebodies shoulder, you're going to get into trouble in most sports. Certainly Fred was acting as well, but I would have thought it would be a free kick in AFL, let alone soccer.

I managed to get Argentina in the work sweep, so that's the main team I'm going for.

Mexico were super unlucky to have such a close result I thought. I think they scored 2 goals that were incorrectly disallowed for offside. Certainly one call was incorrect (the second one).
Last edited by Jeremy on 29 Jun 2014 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 14 Jun 2014 02:05

Jeremy wrote:I'm surprised so many people think the Brazil penalty wasn't there. I would think if you put your hand on somebodies shoulder, you're going to get into trouble in most sports. Certainly Neymar was acting as well, but I would have thought it would be a free kick in AFL, let alone soccer.
Here is a gif:
He definitely has his hands on him but it is not enough to make him fall.

And here are the rules:
Direct free kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent
• jumps at an opponent
• charges an opponent
• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
• pushes an opponent
• tackles an opponent
A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following three offences:
• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
penalty area)
Penalty kick
A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by
a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball,
provided it is in play
So looking at this it is a penalty kick.

But with that being said if you look at any free kick or corner kick players put hands on each other and there is a lot of this going on in open play also. I have no problem with that. Fred's also holds the defender off with his hand, before the defender touches him.

And since a penalty kick is almost certainly a goal there are some other factors taking into consideration:
Is the fouled player in a position to score.
Is the fouled player falling too easily.

In this situation I feel like Fred sees the other defender is closer to the ball than himself and thus falls even though the touch is not the reason why he can't get to ball and it isn't enough to make him fall naturally. He wants to get a better scoring option than he would have had if he had stayed on his feet.

So I think the acting is a bigger wrong than the touch and thus no penalty in my book. But it is a gray zone for sure. Could go both ways.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 14 Jun 2014 05:23

I certainly agree that the amount of contact was not great, but I think it's hard to see how much influence it really had, in part because of the acting. Even a momentary hold as he was moving forward could be enough to prevent a goal, and where he has his hand, I think it's plausible (but not clear) that he did pull Fred back a bit, and Fred exaggerated that pulling. Anyway, I think putting your hand on the opponents shoulder in that manner is asking for trouble.

Edit; Correcting the player names as I had the wrong person :P
Last edited by Jeremy on 29 Jun 2014 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 14 Jun 2014 16:41

Pretty epic Costa Rica v Uruguay result. Costa Rica is the other team I have in the work sweep :D (although they still have a bit of work to win me the money :P). I didn't see the game, but the multicultural tv station here is pretty much showing wall to wall world cup, so I'll see if I can get a replay. Looking forward to Japan v Ivory Coast in a few minutes. I'm going for Japan, but I think it'll be pretty tight.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 16 Jun 2014 01:12

How does the work sweep work Jeremy?

I am involved in two games under this world cup. First one is with my immediate colleagues where we have all guessed on every game in the group stage. You get won point if you guess the right winner and two points if you guess the result. I am currently ahead.

The second one is for the entire place where I work. Here all of us have set up a team and you get points based on how well the players does. You have the opportunity to switch out 3 players during the World Cup. I plan on using mine after the group stage.
I am placed somewhere in the middle. Here is my team:

Lots of good and interesting matches so far. Really enjoying this.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 16 Jun 2014 03:27

Basically everybody puts in $2 per team, with a max of two teams per person (we were worried we wouldn't be able to get 32 people to enter from our department) and then you draw a random team out of a hat, and if that team wins the world cup then you get $64. It's more of a workplace morale kind of thing, than about the money though (hence the small amount). There's only a couple of people who are particularly interested in the cup, so it also would have been harder to get numbers if we made things more serious.

Japan game was good, full credit to CIV. I also enjoyed both styles of play. I watched the Argentina vs Bosnia and H game this morning, and that was really good too. B&H played really well I thought, and could have easily scored a few more goals. Messi's goal was excellent, but I felt like he was not aggressive enough, especially early. Germany V Portugal should be a great game tonight, but it's too late for me to watch. I may try to get up for the Iran v Nigeria game though (starting at 5am here), which may not be that exciting a game, but I think it's good to get in a routine for the event, since I'll want to get up for Brazil v Mexico the day after. Thursday might be a rough day at work with a 2am and 5am game to watch (Australia vs Netherlands, and then Spain vs Chile).

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Jun 2014 15:35

boyle wrote: Spain may have some trouble, particularly if they go down to Chile, which has been my prediction for a long time.
Australia still above Spain! Another strong performance (were leading 2-1 against the Dutch), but once again, unable to finish off the job. This is going to be a good team for the future, though Cahill is unlikely to be around, so they need some other potent attacking weapons.

Robbie Kruze is an option, he's injured at the moment.

Chile are looking good, but they have a really mental problem against Brazil, they always lose. So hopefully they get the other team from that group, which looks like it will be Mexico.

It's too bad about the time difference here, most of the games are on at 2am, 4am etc. I think I might stay up or wake up early to watch the Chile match against the Dutch.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 18 Jun 2014 18:15

Yeah the Aus v Ned game was awesome.

I think not having Tim Cahill in the future will be massive, because he's been our only consistent goal scorer for the last 10 years. I just don't know who we have that can fill that spot well enough for Australia to be competitive. Also his goal last night. 8O

Re sleeping times. Last night I watched State of Origin, slept on the couch with my alarm set, woke up and watched AUS v Ned, went back to sleep. I've been mainly avoiding the 2am games though. Also today work is struggle. Although as you'd know, having a young baby has been good preparation for the WC :P

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Jun 2014 14:12

I think they will be better off giving Tim Cahill a run the next time, even if he's retired - the other options don't seem up to scratch. Though there are a couple of blokes out injured who are highly regarded (Robbie Kruse, not sure on the spelling, is one).

Watched the Chile vs Brazil game, very dramatic. Down to penalties in the end, 2-2 after a 1-1 draw in regular time. Aránguiz and Díaz, who both came through Universidad de Chile, which is the team I go for, scored Chile's goals. That was after the first two (Pinilla and Sánchez) missed their opportunities. Aránguiz just waltzes up, pops it in above the keepers head, no worries mate.

Unfortunately, the fifth penalty had Neymar taking it for Brazil, up against Gonzalo Jara, a bloke who struggles to get a run in the second division in England. He hit the inside of the post, but it bounced out, Chile out.

Not so sure I will get up for anymore of the 2am games now.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 29 Jun 2014 16:08

Brazil were a bit unlucky though, with the Hulk "handball".

Epic win by Costa Rica this morning, and they were unlucky too. I think the Aussie ref has been the worst of the tournament. I've mainly stopped watching the 2am games, and am just getting up for the last game (5 to 6 am start).

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 09 Jul 2014 20:56

Yay Argentina! I bought an Argentinean flag today to celebrate :P. Hard to go past Germany though. Hopefully it's a close game though.

Air
Aleksi Airinen

Post by Air » 09 Jul 2014 21:24

I think this has been an epic tournament so far and I've watched most of the games. We have this betting pool at work where we guessed all the winners in the qualification groups and the top three of the tournament. After qualifications, me and a colleague are tied for the first place. Winner takes the whole pot which is at 180 euros now I think. If Germany wins, I win. If they don't, I lose. So Deutschland better clear this!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 10 Jul 2014 05:16

I like your chances.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 13 Jul 2014 15:51

Ah well, tournament over. The final was a good game. I'm sure everybody expected Germany to win, but Argentina had their chances. I heard a few suggestions that the extra day rest and Argentina's harder semi final had an influence, but I was unconvinced. Argentina also had probably the easiest draw of the tournament, only playing one genuine contender before the final, while Germany played 2 or 3 (depending on if you think Portugal really has a chance or not), so I think Germany were much more deserving. I guess onto the Tour de France. There's a Tasmanian in 5th place at the moment (Richie Porte)!