Novice needs some challenges...

Challenge your friends to hit tricks/combos you know they can hit, even if they don't!
JonM
Circle Kicker

Novice needs some challenges...

Post by JonM » 08 Jul 2012 15:41

Hi All,

In order to get me going with footbag, could i have some challenges please?

I am currently much better at doing tricks on the right side of my body, but working to improve my left side tricks.

I am pretty much a footbag novice - here is a list of the sort of tricks i can do so far:
All the basic stalls, except a clipper on the left side (with my right foot)
ATW & Orbit (easy on the right side, challenging on the left)
Clipper & Butterfly (easy on the right, not at all on the left - currently working on this)
plus a few others...

Most difficult trick ive managed (which was today :P) was a pixie lift to same side clipper.

Would really appreciate some new challenges so i can improve.

Cheers, Jon
Jon M - footbag newbie

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 09 Jul 2012 00:30

-10 alternating clippers
-5 consecutive clippers (both sides)
-legover > ATW-in > ATW-out [repeat] (I don't remember which is ATW and which is orbit)
-10 legovers
-10 pickups
-mirage > same side mirage [repeat]
-legover > same side legover [repeat]
-pickup > same side pickup [repeat]
-illusion > same side illusion [repeat]
-flip butterfly
-butterfly x3 (starting and ending on bad side)
-inside stall > same foot clipper > reverse wrap [repeat]
-inside stall > same foot clipper [repeat] (for at least 12 contacts/3 full rotations)

How does that sound? Too easy? Too hard? A good challenge? The last two will really help a lot with clipper stalls (and balance!) For clipper (and inside stalls), twist your hips a LOT toward the stalling knee (away from the stalling foot). Also, for inside stalls, put your stalling foot past your support leg. These things will help flatten the inside surface for the stall. Also, check the Trick Tips forum Master List for discussion on and tips for all of these tricks -- super helpful!

JonM
Circle Kicker

Post by JonM » 09 Jul 2012 09:05

Thats great, thanks for taking the time to put this list together.
I think some of these are do-able, some are going to be really tough - but that's why its called a "challenge" right? :P

Really appreciate you making noobs like me welcome - ill do my best to get this list done!
Jon M - footbag newbie

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 09 Jul 2012 10:41

Erik's list is great. Pretty much what I was going to suggest. In a nutshell, learn all your basic twos on both sides so they feel the same, and can be linked in any order. This will be the foundation of your house, the house of shred.

JonM
Circle Kicker

Post by JonM » 09 Jul 2012 13:02

Yeah it looks awesome, just hard lol - especially the illusions, i only managed my first mirage the other day and illusions are feeling really wrong right now... oh well, practise makes perfect :P

Thought i would start with the clippers and flip butterfly as i REALLY need to get the opposite clippers down.

Thanks guys!
Jon M - footbag newbie

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 09 Jul 2012 14:14

What do you mean illusions feel wrong?
Illusions hurt my knees, so I don't do them. Listen to you body if something doesn't seem right.

JonM
Circle Kicker

Post by JonM » 09 Jul 2012 14:34

Not wrong as in they hurt, just that i seem to be really flailing my leg when i do them, it feels like i have to go super fast to get them around which generally ends up with me hoofing the sack for a home run :P
Definitely a technique issue rather than something related to my body - when i get somewhere close to them ill post a vid and see what you guys think.
Jon M - footbag newbie

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Re: Novice needs some challenges...

Post by Eskimo Joe » 18 Oct 2012 07:01

When I was learning illusions, I really focused on setting the bag straight up and then immediately placing the setting foot back on the ground, then going for the illusion. Ianek helped me learn them and most moves by breaking them up into their components. So even when I was missing illusions, I at least had the right set and knew where the work was needed. This also helped later when using sets. So pixie set, immediately place foot on the ground and then go for clipper or butter, illusion etc...
Eskimo Joe