Online Shred 30 Competition

Your moves. Your combos. All up for video review in these Sick Online Competitions.

Moderators: BalinorNZ, max

boyle
Post Master General

Online Shred 30 Competition

Post by boyle » 26 Jun 2013 14:42

Hello everybody

I have been thinking of running a competition in this format for a while, but haven't been able to get things together to get it happening. I'm not sure if it will get enough interest to work properly, but if so it could be a lot of fun.

I am planning to get one off the ground in the next week, so that will see whether or not it works.

The idea is the following:

A 13 week competition (there will be 4 per year)

The first week will be free to enter, with a $10 prize and maybe somebody can donate a bag to add to the prize money.
The second week will be $1 with a $10 prize
It will follow on
$2, $20
$3, $30
$4, $40
$5, $50
$6, $60
$7, $70
$8, $80
$9, $90
$10, $100
$11, $110

The final round will be open to the winners of each week, as well as those who have entered every week. The prize here will depend on how many entrants there have been throughout the process. It will also be free to enter, with similar prize money to the previous week (that all depends on the total entries throughout the tournament).

The basic idea is to get players investing in having prize money in the sport. Of course, having prize money would be an influence to be involved. There will also be a running tally of the scores and prizes at the end for total scores (a running tally of every week).

The way the competition would work is you do a Shred 30, post it on Youtube, and have scored it yourself (the description or comments could host this information). This is to encourage everybody to get used to the scoring systems. The trick to the competition is, if you have scored your shred 30 incorrectly, somebody else can recount your score. If the new score is verified as correct, the other scorer will have the points difference added to their personal tally.

I think it could be a very good way to train for competitions as well as a potential way to influence the prize money given in competitions. The remaining money from the competition would go back into the sport, whether donations to competitions or efforts like John Stalberger's book, or in the future could go into assisting promising players to attend events.

So some questions:

- Would you compete in an event like this (and would you compete every week, or once in a while)
- Is Shred 30 the best method (I think it is, because of the objective scoring)
- Would you be interested in donating a bag or some other footbag related product to the winners of the competition?
- Would you pay, and is something like paypal the best method for this? Would the ability to offer a service (for example stitching a bag, teaching a trick or something non footbag related: eg web design, financial advice, whatever you are a professional of work)
- Who do you think would win?
- Any changes that you would recommend?

I am looking to get this going from the start of July (so basically next week). The full first round will be a bit of an experiment to see if it works, but please let me know if this is something that interests you.

Cheers
Daniel

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Re: Online Shred 30 Competition

Post by Jeremy » 26 Jun 2013 17:26

Great idea Daniel. I'll enter. The only issue I have with a system like this is that there's a prevailing attitude in footbag of people not entering competitions if they don't have a good chance of winning. It might be hard to get a lot of numbers if they have to pay money to enter, given that attitude. Perhaps a better system would be a series of rounds with the same entry cost, but different competitors, followed by a "final series"

I recall a few years ago there was a "best 15" or similar competition where every move had to be unique and the highest adds won. Something like that might be fun, and lowering the number of moves makes it more accessible.

Anyway, whatever system you decide upon in the end, put me down as an entrant, although I will have to film it on my phone :(

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 26 Jun 2013 19:56

Actually, I think I might do the first competition as free entry, and the winner gets some money or so, or preferably a bag or some donated prizes. What I would like to see this eventually turned into is the possibility for crowdsourcing and crowdfunding events - the types of events, who is competing, where it is, etc, etc. I think Shred 30 is the perfect vehicle for this type of event. That will be the experiment...

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 06 Aug 2013 22:01

Whoa I just saw this. Is this happening? Did enough ppl show interest? I think this is a really cool idea.
Doug Tank

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 17 Aug 2013 09:40

Deadline? I can try and enter something.