How to play 4-Square

1, 2, 3, 4. Keep that bag off the floor.
Zeke
Specific Islander

How to play 4-Square

Post by Zeke » 27 Feb 2006 19:19

Text copied from:
http://www.visionpcservices.com/impax/4square.asp

Basic Concept:

The game is played on a square court about 14' X 14' split into 4 squares. You can also play on oddly shaped courts (like circles split into 4 pie pieces, and rectangles). It helps a lot if the lines that separate the squares are at least 2 inches thick, but it is not necessary. Next designate one square as the server's square or square 4. Always make this the square with the least advantage. (for example...if playing with lots of sun, make the server face the sun). Then going counter-clockwise mark squares 3, 2 and 1. The best places to play are schools where the playgrounds have 4-square courts painted on them , or any slab of concrete you can take some chalk to and make your own court. On another note, we have found that the game works better with a crocheted bag, but any will work fine.

You begin the game with one person in each square, and the server tosses the footbag to another player, players continue kicking the bag until it lands on the ground, at which point someone is OUT. When someone is OUT they move to square 1 then all people that were in a lower number square move clockwise one square. For Example...if the player in square 3 got OUT, they would go to square 1, the player in square 1 would move to square 2, and 2 would move to 3, the server would stay. (If your game has more than 4 people playing, form a line outside square 1, then any one who gets OUT instead moves to the end of the line and the person in front of the line moves into square 1). The object of the game is to get to the server square and stay there. Every time a player serves a round and does not get OUT, they get a point.

The 4-square philosphy
4-Square was desgined to be a game for relaxing and having fun. It's all about sharing some good times with your fellow footbag friends...and hopefully meeting some new ones. Seriousness and 4-Square hardly belong in the same sentence together...but if you just can't let it all go, or if you want to offer an official competition at an event please check out the tournament rules on the variations page

4-Square was also designed to be changable. It can be changed temporarily by the players using propositions which only last until the game is over...or it can be changed more permanently by a footbag club or group of friends who want to start each game with their own modifications. The rules on this page are only the basic framework for a game which has already spread around the world and found many different local variations.
Remember that local variations always take precedence over the rules...so remember which region/country you are in when you are playing!

The Golden Rules:
The golden rules make up the basic 4-square game and may may not be altered once the game begins

You are OUT if:
- A legal kick lands in your square
- You kick the bag on a line
- You kick the bag out of bounds

If there is any disagreement during the game, a VOTE occurs
In 4 square, every player is a judge...as a judge players should be honorable and tell the truth
- The server gets 2 votes, other players get 1 vote
- Players cast their votes by pointing at the person they think is OUT
- Players do not have to vote
- Players may not change their vote.
- Ties result in a HACK-OFF
- In serious disagreements, Both players in question may agree to HACK-OFF
- If a player completely leaves the 4 square court during a vote, they are OUT

HACK-OFFS occur to settle disputes between 2 players when the VOTE was not clear
- The player in the higher numbered square serves to the other
- The other 2 squares are out of bounds
- disagreements are voted on by all 4 players

PROPOSITIONS
- At the beginning of each round the server may make one PROPOSITION
- A PROPOSITION can not change any of the golden rules
- A VOTE occurs, and if the VOTE succeeds then the new rule becomes a game rule

Standard Game Rules:
It is recommended to start with these rules until you get a feel for the game.
These rules can be changed by the server through propositions.

You are OUT if:
- You SPIKE the bag (Passes which do not go up before dropping)
- You pass the bag TOO LOW (Passes which do not go above the knee of the player the bag was passed to)
- The bag touches you on your arm, below your elbow
- You contact someone inside their square
- You step into someone elses square

The player in square 4 is the server for each round:
- The server must call their score before they serve or they are OUT
- Serves must be a nice hand toss to another player, above their waist
- Every round a you stay in square 4, you get a point
- The first player to get 15 points wins, you keep your points when you get out

Basic gameplay rulings:
- There is no maximum number of contacts
- Players may kick into someone else's square as long as they do not interfere.
- Players may go into the out of bounds region.
- Delaying the bag is allowed

TOO LOW and SPIKE rules:
If you SPIKE the bag or pass it TOO LOW, you are OUT regardless of whether the defending players touches the bag or not.
If the defending player successfully recovers the from a bad pass, the pass should be considered good. This is up to the players/judges...If the bag is in the air...there is no reason to stop!
The TOO LOW and SPIKE rules are only meant to be guidelines for what kinds of shots are 'gettable'.

4-Square Modifications and Variations
4-Square propositions: Browse or add to the 4-Square propostions database
4-Square variations: Rules for modified versions of 4-Square (3-Square, Team Sqaures) and local variaions

A Little History
One day in the sun 3 young men named Cody Roberts, Joe Crain, and Lon Smith were wandering in the streets of downtown Grass Valley. They had tired of hanging out at the local comic shop playing magic and decided to head over to the market for a drink and snack. While enjoying their goodies they wandered over to nearby Hennessy School to stop and play. Seeing as they had no football, basketball, soccerball, frisbee, badmitten, or anything else fun other than a hackysack they took to the big blacktop area to kick the ol' sac around. There they found a four square court neatly painted on the school-yard ground, where only minues before, 4 school kids bounced a big red ball back and forth while they laughed and smiled. And since it was the flattest, most appealing spot, they moved the circle of three over to it. Right away they decided the squares were to be the playing field for some sort of hacky-game.....

We have had many hours of fun and laughter playing this game. It is cool to see footbag community enjoying it too!
Last edited by Zeke on 07 Mar 2006 09:22, edited 5 times in total.
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

jake
BSOS Beast

Post by jake » 27 Feb 2006 19:53

thanks for that i think i wanna try it sometime sounds fun 8)
Jake Marmon - Gresham Oregon
15-years old
yeah

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 27 Feb 2006 20:00

Four square is SO awesome.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip Hard 2: Skip Harder
Skip Hard With A Vengeance
Coming soon. Yippee-kieaye-eh?
Skip-blog

joecrain
Hack Fiend

Post by joecrain » 28 Feb 2006 12:24

Hey Zeke...I just got my first chance to see how the 4-square scene in America is progressing at CSS7 and it was amazing. I learned that it was your crew that that actually helped carry the torch from when the game left our asphalt in grass valley and travelled to CSS2 (I think it was 2 anyway) and then to the world. Now practically everyone plays...its mind blowing for me! But anyway, it was a shame we couldnt meet in Denver, but our chance will come and I look forward to it. All of your homies talked highly of you and were super fun to hang with.

So Im wondering where you got this copy of the rules. It is slightly out of date...this is the version I had posted on my website before a revision i made in 2003 after worlds in prague.

Can you please edit your post to contain the most current version of the official rules found here?:
http://www.visionpcservices.com/impax/4square.asp

Also can anyone who knows any places on the internet where there are copies of any version of 4-sqaure footbag, please post them here or email to me. This includes versions that have been translated...I know there is a hungarian version and a polish version.

The main thing that was changed is that all reference to LYING has been removed, or reversed. Its totally fine for old school 4-sqaure players who properly understand the politics of voting people out on "lies" to play with these older rules (usually amoungst yourselves on your home turf). But as the game has grown this has become a point of contention among players: especially at tournaments where many 4-square philosphies collide. So it is now totally illegal to lie in 4-sqaure and we (Lon and I and other people involved with maintaining the rules) are now trying to promote a sort of honorable samarai warrior code of conduct for players when they start voting on who is out.

In 2006, 4-square will be given a shiny new face. There are several of us who are working on some touching up the rules, promotion, and creating a more unified public understanding of the game. I will be making a more formal announcement about this later.

Im also working on my own CSS7 report/stories/pics etc... Look for that soon. Modified here we go...

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 28 Feb 2006 12:45

8O

Changed. I got the text from flipsider.com
I'll be editing my post again to put the links where you had them originally... just a little busy at work right now.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 28 Feb 2006 13:46

be sure not to kick people in the face though :P

Zeke
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 28 Feb 2006 16:31

I was there @ the grand meeting of four square rule revisions!

joecrain
Hack Fiend

Post by joecrain » 28 Feb 2006 16:56

I always spell sqaure wrong...

Thanks a million for doing that so quickly zeke!

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 01 Mar 2006 10:06

Sporatical_Distractions wrote:be sure not to kick people in the face though :P

Zeke
LOL!!!!!!
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 01 Mar 2006 10:15

Awesome write up!

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 29 Mar 2006 21:27

holy crap today was the first day i ever played for square, and it was with jim daryl and jim, zac, kyle, and jims friend it was a pretty cool game, im surprised that i never played the game berfore, but it is really addictive and fun!

Pete
Multidex Master

Post by Pete » 08 Apr 2006 12:51

14x14? could it be smaller?

xXLoss_of_ControlXx
Egyptian Footgod

Post by xXLoss_of_ControlXx » 09 Apr 2006 10:13

Pete wrote:14x14? could it be smaller?
i like it big... 16X16 :D
Freddy Noinaj of the CIC?

"Sweet" Simon

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 18 Apr 2006 14:55

Pete wrote:14x14? could it be smaller?
For local games and pick-up games it can be anything you want. But I would expect them to be regulation sized if I played at an event. Big squares really push you to be a good defender, I think.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Pete
Multidex Master

Post by Pete » 21 Apr 2006 12:17

ah cool to know. :) thanks. i was mostly asking because in the video from ... ... , they had a 4x4 each so like 10x10 max. and that seemed nice to play on. :)

Sathom
Hack Fiend

Post by Sathom » 30 Jun 2006 07:58

Wow great write up!

Spontaneous Spaz
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spontaneous Spaz » 25 Jul 2006 15:45

i'd play, but not enough people hack where i live

Alberto
Circle Kicker

Post by Alberto » 09 Jan 2007 16:38

Also can anyone who knows any places on the internet where there are copies of any version of 4-sqaure footbag, please post them here or email to me. This includes versions that have been translated...I know there is a hungarian version and a polish version.
Here is the portuguese version: http://www.footbagbrasil.com.br/destaqu ... square.htm