4 square at worlds

1, 2, 3, 4. Keep that bag off the floor.
QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

4 square at worlds

Post by QuantumBalance » 13 Nov 2006 20:39

Is there gonna be an official 4-square event at worlds in disney land? I really hope so! Go PROSQUARE go 2 square go 4 square GO!

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Re: 4 square at worlds

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 14 Nov 2006 10:10

QuantumBalance wrote:Is there gonna be an official 4-square event at worlds in disney land? I really hope so! Go PROSQUARE go 2 square go 4 square GO!
If not, start one broseph. Contact the people organizing Worlds. Count me in :D

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 14 Nov 2006 20:43

I talked with Chris Ott about it in some e-mails and in person at the US Open. He said the only problem was fitting it into the schedule, but I'm sure something can be arranged. We're going to talk about it again later.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

ShredOnLawn
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ShredOnLawn » 20 Nov 2006 10:23

I would love to help organize this.

I will be showing up early for worlds.

If we get the list of rules for the different types of square games in this topic would that be a good way to spread the word of 2-Square and Pro-Square rules for official IFPA sponsored events?
Lon Smith

xXLoss_of_ControlXx
Egyptian Footgod

Post by xXLoss_of_ControlXx » 20 Nov 2006 15:51

OMG this sounds so cool, too bad i prolly cant make the trip!

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Freddy Noinaj of the CIC?

"Sweet" Simon

Oroza
Fearless

Post by Oroza » 20 Nov 2006 23:19

xXLoss_of_ControlXx wrote:OMG this sounds so cool, too bad i prolly cant make the trip!

:cry: :cry: :cry:
whats stoping you? i dont know how exactly, but Ill be there fasho.
Plain, with everything.

ShredOnLawn
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ShredOnLawn » 02 Jan 2007 09:19

I know the new rules are almost done. I hope they will be submitted in time if it's not too late already.
Lon Smith

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 02 Jan 2007 13:56

Hopefully to be at worlds and representing 4 square and freestyle.

Oroza
Fearless

Post by Oroza » 02 Jan 2007 17:11

there were about 9 people to a square in the 4sq comp at nyj. I dont think there should be more than 5-6.
Plain, with everything.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 02 Jan 2007 21:44

Al, 2 pools had 7 players and one had 8, I think.

22 kickers registered (last I checked) and with the little time we had left it was not possible to break the players up into smaller pools. 5-6 is ideal though and that's what we were aiming for.
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 14 Jan 2007 19:20

Correcting myself:
You're right, Al, we did have 9 people in our pool. 2 new players signed in just as Steve was announcing the rules and after the pools were seeded.

Side note: We also would have kept playing until a second player got to 15 but we were crunched for time at the end of Friday and early Saturday morning.
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 10 Feb 2007 16:00

BUMP! In the recent article about worlds they don't even mention 4square. Hey guys. ARE WE GONNA PLAY A LOT OF 4 SQUARE AT WORLDS?!

IS IT GOING TO BE A WEEK OF 4SQUARE ORGY?!?!?

COME ON NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 10 Feb 2007 17:16

4 Square is a game. It should not be a highlighted worlds event.

This is my opinion of course, but I feel strongly about it. Marco Polo is related to swimming, but it isn't in the Olympics. 4 Square is a nice side thing that a few people take seriously, but I don't think it's a great thing to watch.

Flame me.

dc
david

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 11 Feb 2007 01:51

Why do you have to come in here and put down the game that I like. Not all of us are as athletic as you. I can't take the same pleasure in freestyle as you because I didn't play sports when I was a kid. I only worked out later in life so my body didn't form around me the same way yours did. I can have lots of fun in 4-square, and the best player in the world is Steve G. who is not the top athlete, but the top player. That proves this game requires something more. Who differentiates what is a game and what's not? Someone comes along and says Hacky Sack is not a sport, it is a game. Within footbag David Clavens comes along and says 4-square is not a sport, it's a game.

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 12 Feb 2007 04:46

Damn my excuses lol. GENETICS! Jk

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 13 Feb 2007 07:52

I strongly disagree, David.

It seems like a lot of shred-centered players don't really see the skill involved in four square. If you play against Steve Goldberg, or Tom K. or Zeke in Chicago, or lots of other people, you'll understand that its not easy. Its an athletic competition -- I don't see how that's not a sport.

At NYJ there was a tournament that people took seriously. It wasn't like everyone just goofed off until they got bored and declared someone the winner. Some people showed up just for that event, and don't really care about shred. But I don't think any of these people would presume to say "freestyle's just a game, I don't think it belongs here".

And I don't see how whether something is fun to watch or not makes it a sport or not a sport. Its not like every shred event is fun to watch, IMO. But I wouldn't presume to say that its not a sport.

I'm not flaming you here, but I think your attitude is shared by a lot of people who are world class shredders, or aspire to be, and its just arrogance. Its also very off-putting to some people who aren't 100 % shred-focused.

Maybe there is a good argument that four-square shouldn't be at worlds, but I haven't heard it in this thread. I'm open to hearing those arguments. And personally, I just don't understand why being focused on shredding means demeaning hacky sack or four square or two square -- I play four square, a little two square, I (try to) shred, and I still enjoy kicking a bag around a hack circle (depending on the circle). Other than the element of time spent on one activity vs. another and the opportunity cost there, I don't see how enjoying one of those activities would have to detract from the others.

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 13 Feb 2007 09:51

Thanks for saying your opinion in a nice and clear manner.

I have since rethought my position and was a bit hasty to be so anti-4 square. My main thing was that I think it shouldnt be placed on the same platform is something like freestyle routines, because I still consider it a sideline game.

There are obviously a lot of people who love it, so I guess I should just let them do their thing and I'll do mine.

Maybe I'll even play a game at worlds.

sry sam and anyone else who loves it, its just not for me and I felt like it would distract from the events I really think are key to freestyles promotion.

dc
david

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 13 Feb 2007 12:04

david wrote: Marco Polo is related to swimming, but it isn't in the Olympics.
Water Polo is an Olympic Discipline.. :roll:

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 13 Feb 2007 12:25

david wrote:Thanks for saying your opinion in a nice and clear manner.
No prob. I don't see any point in flaming people. Thanks for your responses, I think I understand where you're coming from a lot better now.
david wrote:My main thing was that I think it shouldnt be placed on the same platform is something like freestyle routines [...].
I wouldn't disagree with that statement.
david wrote:I felt like it would distract from the events I really think are key to freestyles promotion.
I wouldn't disagree with that either.

I've never been to Worlds, so I don't really know if it would be placed on the same level as the freestyle events. I can understand why it wouldn't make sense to present it in the same way, with like an audience sitting around & watching.

But if there's enough space to have a 4-square comp. and for other people to do their thing at the same time, why not? Of course its up the people setting up the event and the logistical concerns like space and time, etc...

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 13 Feb 2007 16:45

If I had been able to respond like Frank Sinatra, I would be a much better person, I know that. But, just so you all know, I was not rude and did not flame, but posted a pretty decent response, until I chatted later with David on AIM where he said he was purposely trying to make me blow up. then, see david's blog.

I also do agree that 4 square during CSS7 was absurd... like, during the actual competition. If you look, I did start a thread about 4square during comp, tanking the stance that it was not good.

No matter what, 4 square is super fun.. especially when you use freestyle to win.