4 square at worlds

1, 2, 3, 4. Keep that bag off the floor.
Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 14 Feb 2007 08:42

QuantumBalance wrote:If I had been able to respond like Frank Sinatra, I would be a much better person, I know that.
Thanks, that's such a nice thing to say... my head is swelling to dangerous levels.

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 14 Feb 2007 14:07

You beer!

Ners
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ners » 22 Feb 2007 13:51

At Euros in Lausanne, 4 Square was one of the main events, just like Routines, Shred and Net. There was a system where you got 2 buttons in the beggining - a red one, and a blue one. First you battled against people who had both of them. If you won, you took their red buttons and exchanged it for a bigger one (for semis). If you lost, you still could play agains other guys who also had only one left, and if you won you advanced to semis too with a bigger blue one. The same thing happened in the semis and finally 4 winners where chosen for the final 4 Square match. What was really cool, was that quite a big audience gathered around to watch the finals, there was a person with a microphone doing all the talking and building the hype. In the finals the level was pretty high, so lots of really cool rallies and trick shots were made, always getting a crazy reaction from the crowd. It really felt cool, the players were me, Steve Goldberg, Max Kerkhoff I think and Tuukka Antikainen. Everyone really got into it, and judging by this, and the fact that it's definitely easier to understand for a person who is seeing it for the first time, then to understand freestyle, I think it could be a better way to promote footbag. Actually 4 Square will probably used in Poland as a tool to get more recognition for the sport and maybe some new players in all disciplines.

Szymon Kałwak (Ners)

krawallier
Fearless

Post by krawallier » 25 Feb 2007 17:32

i disagree. it was not a main event. it was something like an official "inofficial" event. it was pretty obvious that it was footbagger-oriented and not towards the general audience...

i think it is a good way to have an official "informal" competition where everybody can participate. this is similar to how we play footbag-golf in europe. there is a handful of really good players, and they take it seriously, but everybody still keeps it in the spirit of "party-golf"

if 4square is to be incorporated into worlds, make it feel like a "good friends are having fun together"-thingy. Without denying that there are some really good players/athletes that take it seriously
max kerkhoff

fcfootstar

! 30TH ANNUAL IFPA WORLD FOOTBAG CHAMPIONSHIPS 2009 - BERLIN !

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 03 Mar 2007 07:03

Official or unofficial event, I hope to play lots of squares if I can make it to Worlds.
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

krawallier
Fearless

Post by krawallier » 03 Mar 2007 07:10

Zeke wrote:Official or unofficial event, I hope to play lots of squares if I can make it to Worlds.
thats the spirit!
max kerkhoff

fcfootstar

! 30TH ANNUAL IFPA WORLD FOOTBAG CHAMPIONSHIPS 2009 - BERLIN !

ShredOnLawn
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ShredOnLawn » 03 Mar 2007 08:46

4 Square is more easily recognizable to normal humans.

I like the idea of having tokens.

At worlds, I'd like to have some different types of 4 square. Different shapes, like pie, rectangles, or even pentagonal with the center pentagon being considered line/out.

I'd like to see 4 square be more about placement shots and not so much about trick shots and low shots. Those tend to create arguments. Having wider lines and real judges could make 4 square more easily accepted as an official event.

Worlds 4 Square will be played by many fun having players at worlds. I can't wait! :lol: 8)
Lon Smith

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 03 Mar 2007 11:30

Yeah, tokens for comps and different shapes for fun sounds like a great idea.

As for trick shots, I view it as a natural evolution. Sometimes it's hard to rely strictly on good shot placement on terrific defenders (Tom and Marty come to mind) and trick shots give that extra edge. A versatile offense is hard to predict making it difficult to defend.

Arguments haven't been too much of a problem duing the more focused and competetive sunday sessions. Playing at the local high school during the week is a different story. It almost wouldnt be Lane Tech 4S without the arguing :!: :lol: :lol: (:arrow: :?) Thankfully hack-offs have been the universal problem solver.
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

kyle
Shredaholic

Post by kyle » 17 Mar 2007 22:24

I think the only problem anyone has w/ an official 4-Square at Worlds is that a lot of people want to separate 'footbag' from 'hacky-sack'.

My opinion? Who cares! :P

All I know is that I was overjoyed when i discovered that one of my favorite passtimes back in high school was still being played in a similar fashon by footbagers. :D Heck, I used to play Kill (which is basically 4-Square w/out the lines, get hit w/ the bag and let it drop and your out) all the time before i started freestyling. Its what got me into it!

but just for fun:
Floridian Passerby: 'hrm, freestyle champoins are determined by judges, and 4-Square champoins are determined by elemination. -> Freestyle must be one of those lame olympic sports, but 4-Square sounds kick ass!' :P

lotus
Multidex Master

Post by lotus » 17 Apr 2007 23:32

steve goldberg once kicked me in the face playing 4-square (at the 2001 aus nationals) ... he is a competitive bugger isn't he.

he then tried to molest my dog ... she still has emotional scars ... the whole thing was caught on video ... except him kicking me in the nose, so i couldn't press charges.

i hope you're listening steve ... :lol:.

but in all seriousness, that was my first introduction to the game and i absolutely looooved it ... and i did beat steve btw.

4-square is played nowhere near enough in australia (i did not get a single game at the last aus nationals) ... :(.

Lon wrote:4 Square is more easily recognizable to normal humans.

I'd like to see 4 square be more about placement shots and not so much about trick shots and low shots. Those tend to create arguments. Having wider lines and real judges could make 4 square more easily accepted as an official event.
i agree soundly with these two pionts ... and would love to see 4-square at worlds ... perhaps even as an official event.

surely, with any sport, it is time, levels of participation, player demand, and viewer response that determines how 'main' the event becomes in the years to follow.

btw ... i have never been to worlds and certainly can't afford to come to worlds, so unfortunately i won't get to play anyway.
only the movement moves
lotus
www.elementalfootbags.com

lotus
Multidex Master

Post by lotus » 17 Apr 2007 23:37

kyle wrote:I think the only problem anyone has w/ an official 4-Square at Worlds is that a lot of people want to separate 'footbag' from 'hacky-sack'.

My opinion? Who cares! :P

damnit, you're right kyle ...
a 'hacky-sacker' is just a footbagger who can't freestyle, and a 'footbagger' is just a hacky-sacker who can't pass.

(tongue firmly planted in cheek :roll:)
only the movement moves
lotus
www.elementalfootbags.com