Suggestions

Topics about or relating to the forum itself and how it's run.
Allan

Suggestions

Post by Allan » 13 May 2015 09:26

Like it says: suggest things here ...

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Re: Suggestions

Post by Kylescook » 13 May 2015 10:32

Allan wrote:Like it says: suggest things here ...
And up so quickly! Thanks Allan
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 13 May 2015 12:41

Is there a way to receive notifications when someone clicks to give props?

Edit: Wait, does the new layout still do that? I'm usually on tapatalk.

Allan

Post by Allan » 17 May 2015 19:26

The new theme supports props, yeah.

There was a bit of discussion about notifications for props when I introduced them, but it's something I want to be extremely careful about. I'm not entirely sure how to do it correctly. I thought about it sending a PM for each prop, but a lot of people (me included) get email for every PM, and that could get noisy quickly. Straight email wouldn't be great either. I thought about a stand-alone notification system, but it seems like a lot work.

phpBB 3.1 (which I haven't upgraded us to yet since it breaks props & badges integration) has a new built-in notification system, but I'm unclear as to how it works without reading about it, and I've had less time to that than I have to do anything related to this site recently. It will probably be the way to go, but I dunno.

There are a bunch of features I want to include for props (e.g. a list of propped posts on your profile page), but I'm pretty torn on how to prioritize the various projects I've got going right now; props isn't exactly up there high on the list :(

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 31 May 2015 21:38

Is there any way to keep me logged in for longer? I know I should be using a word processor when doing event write ups, but it would be cool if I could type up a long post on modified without having to store it in my clipboard before hitting the Submit button. Once again, thanks for all you do Allan, Modified is the best forum I frequent (comparing to a few RC forums and some Yahoo builders groups), both aesthetically and functionally.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Allan

Post by Allan » 03 Jun 2015 10:22

isirc10 wrote:Is there any way to keep me logged in for longer?
I just bumped up the session expiration length from 1 hour to 10 :D That should suffice, eh?

Thanks for the kind words :)

As well, I've actually been investigating a plugin that will auto-save posts, but it's kind of on the back-burner at the moment while I figure out how to upgrade us to phpBB 3.1. 3.1 has a slew of new features, but I'm pretty sure it'll break plugins like an auto-save so I don't want to spend the time to implement something that will likely break right away. 3.1 already breaks my implementation of props and badges, so I need to focus on rewriting those before I add anything else.

A

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Jul 2015 00:18

Hey,

I was thinking about some sort of auto-save/organize video function that would, in its most ambitious state, take a video posted by someone and save it on footbag.org, possibly in that person's account. That way, we would have a nice backup of all videos...on .org!

Another idea that made think of, a bit less ambitious I think, would be some sort of feature that, when accessed, would bring up a list of all videos, in chronological order, from all sub-forums, for those that wanted to see up-to-date videos.

Thinking out loud,
TJ
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 24 Oct 2015 15:31

I thought the way the 2012 Joulu Calendar was organized was great. I don't know how much work was involved in doing it that way, but would be neat to see something like that again for this years.
Link for those that don't know what i'm talking about.
https://modified.in/joulukalenteri/2012/
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 25 Oct 2015 08:56

Tjuggles wrote:I was thinking about some sort of auto-save/organize video function that would, in its most ambitious state, take a video posted by someone and save it on footbag.org, possibly in that person's account. That way, we would have a nice backup of all videos...on .org!

Another idea that made think of, a bit less ambitious I think, would be some sort of feature that, when accessed, would bring up a list of all videos, in chronological order, from all sub-forums, for those that wanted to see up-to-date videos.
If either of these things were to happen it might be nice to have this at the footbag.tv domain name. I'll happily give that domain to someone if they make something like this happen.

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 11 Nov 2015 09:18

Nothing major, but I think the "Report Post" button should have a different icon. An exclamation point or something. Right now it looks like "Reply to post" and I really want to click it 8O
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Allan

Post by Allan » 11 Nov 2015 09:55

Sorry I've been so bad at responding to these, peeps :)
Tjuggles wrote: I was thinking about some sort of auto-save/organize video function that would, in its most ambitious state, take a video posted by someone and save it on footbag.org, possibly in that person's account. That way, we would have a nice backup of all videos...on .org!
This is a good idea, but one that would require sooooooo much work from Steve and I'm pretty sure he's got his hands full with the "Tournament In A Box" project (which is definitely much more important for the community). It would also involve me or some other technically inclined person representing modified to collaborate with Steve; this is good in theory, but, as I discovered in trying to be this person, .org is a much more complicated beast than you an possibly imagine. It's not really a project for a dabbler like me.
Tjuggles wrote: Another idea that made think of, a bit less ambitious I think, would be some sort of feature that, when accessed, would bring up a list of all videos, in chronological order, from all sub-forums, for those that wanted to see up-to-date videos.
This is certainly more do-able, but with quite a few priorities that I would place well above this, I'm not sure that anything can be done about it in the near future :( Sorry!
Kylescook wrote:I thought the way the 2012 Joulu Calendar was organized was great. I don't know how much work was involved in doing it that way, but would be neat to see something like that again for this years.
@Kylescook provided the motivation for me to volunteer to help boyle with this years calendar. Not only will there be a calendar view like the one from '12, but there will be forum homepage integration like there was for ... '11? '12? '13? One of those year I did that and I think it worked well.
isirc10 wrote:Nothing major, but I think the "Report Post" button should have a different icon. An exclamation point or something. Right now it looks like "Reply to post" and I really want to click it 8O
Yeah, the developers who provided the base code that I took and reworked went waaaaay overboard in their use of those stupid little icons. I've been removing them as I go, and that toolbar for each post has been at the top of my list for some time, but keeps getting ignored or bumped for other things :(

As it happens, I'm actually in the very early stages of completely re-writing this theme from scratch in order to facilitate upgrading the forum software to the latest version. phpBB 3.1 is essentially a complete rewrite of the basics of the software and I want to basically do the same for the theme where things are done the way I want them to be, without all the crud inherited from other developers who have different aesthetics and priorities than us.

So, yeah, 2016 should be a good year for the community :D

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 14 Nov 2015 13:09

isirc10 wrote:Nothing major, but I think the "Report Post" button should have a different icon. An exclamation point or something. Right now it looks like "Reply to post" and I really want to click it 8O
I almost clicked report post replying to this post :lol:

Allan

Post by Allan » 14 Nov 2015 13:48

All right. I spent a few minutes and removed the icons and, and I think maybe two people have even used the "report post" button ... ever, so I just disabled it for the time being. Like I said, I'm re-doing a new theme from scratch, and when that gets published, it'll come back.

As well, as I announced in that other thread, I just disabled props and badges integration. Doing this should provide some motivation for me to work on this. I miss props already :( The badges integration was always lacking though, so that's kind of good to have gone.

Some of you may have also noticed that I've been making other tweaks around here. I hope none of it is too unsettling; I'm basically prototyping the new theme and making some changes that I've long wanted to make anyhow. I've mostly just been removing things and trying to get things down to bare essentials. I hate clutter, and there's sooooo much clutter on the default theme it's not funny. Simple == Good.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 26 Apr 2016 13:15

Hi Allan,

I prefer to avoid using the mouse whenever possible, and so was wondering if you could perhaps, have the cursor start in the username box when going to the forums? Thinking about it now, it might be a bit tricky if you have to check whether someone is already logged in, in which case it wouldn't make sense to start it in the username box (there would be no box to start in).

Not a big deal by any means, just thought it would save a few presses of the tab key :)
TJ Boutorwick

Allan

Post by Allan » 27 Apr 2016 16:03

Tjuggles wrote:have the cursor start in the username box when going to the forums?
Like that?

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 27 Apr 2016 18:30

Allan wrote:
Tjuggles wrote:have the cursor start in the username box when going to the forums?
Like that?
Exactly like that. "Awesome" - TJ's tab key.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 15 Aug 2016 22:21

Hi ALLAN,

I was wondering if the forum is able to pull in feeds from other sources? For example, would it be possible to follow the future of footbag thread that is happening on Facebook, on modified? Each post on Facebook would get copied to modified or something like that, or maybe a digest version of the feed, once a day, that would get copied into a modified thread? ... or would that just blow up the forum?
TJ Boutorwick

Allan

Post by Allan » 16 Aug 2016 08:22

It's simply too much work for not enough payoff, especially when there has been some discussion happening about deprecating these forums entirely and moving to a new platform. I looked into doing something like this a number of years ago, but it's just too problematic :(

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 16 Aug 2016 15:57

Fair enough. Thanks for the info!
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

I miss the image uploader

Post by C-Fan » 06 Sep 2017 08:42

Image uploader?