Limit system load setting turned on

Topics about or relating to the forum itself and how it's run.
Allan

Limit system load setting turned on

Post by Allan » 03 Jan 2017 11:05

Limit system load:
If the system’s 1-minute load average exceeds this value the board will automatically go offline. A value of 1.0 equals ~100% utilisation of one processor. This only functions on UNIX based servers and where this information is accessible. The value here resets itself to 0 if phpBB was unable to get the load limit.
I've set this from 0 to 1.

Previously, the site was on its own server, and before that it was on shared hosting where this setting is basically pointless, but now that it's sitting on a server of mine that actually hosts a dozen or so other websites, I'd like to have this turned on to protect the small businesses that I host from going offline if something happens and the forum is, for example, hacked.

If this becomes problematic, I'll revisit the setting, but for now...

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Limit system load setting turned on

Post by Tjuggles » 03 Jan 2017 15:26

Cool, thanks for the tech update. Out of curiosity, what are the specs of your server? I have been reading a bit about servers, and am still trying to wrap my head around them.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Allan

Post by Allan » 24 Jan 2017 14:08

Tjuggles wrote:
03 Jan 2017 15:26
Cool, thanks for the tech update. Out of curiosity, what are the specs of your server? I have been reading a bit about servers, and am still trying to wrap my head around them.
Sorry. It's been crazy since I posted.

DigitalOcean.com
Ubuntu 16.04x64
2GB RAM
30GB disk
San Fransisco region

If you've any specific questions about that stuff, I'd try to answer :)

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 24 Jan 2017 14:21

Awesome, thanks! So the whole of modified is supported on this amount of memory, RAM, etc. Good to know!

So, to show my ignorance, the data on modified (i.e., posts, pics, etc.) is on that machine, and sent to digitalOcean? Thanks for helping!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Allan

Post by Allan » 27 Jan 2017 11:22

Tjuggles wrote:
24 Jan 2017 14:21
Awesome, thanks! So the whole of modified is supported on this amount of memory, RAM, etc. Good to know!
The whole of modified, and about 12 other relatively low traffic sites that are almost all Wordpress-based. I've not looked at the stats in months, but I serve approximately 3000-4000 unique hits a day on a good day. My server barely registers the use at all, with my memory/cpu usage charts topping out at 40% when spikes happen. It's just a simple Ubuntu install that I've hardened and apache2 and mysql, php7 and few other niceties thrown in. It's $20/month. I could probably run this on the $10 tier, but I like to have some cushion.
Tjuggles wrote:
24 Jan 2017 14:21
So, to show my ignorance, the data on modified (i.e., posts, pics, etc.) is on that machine, and sent to digitalOcean? Thanks for helping!
Yes, technically (AFAIK), in a "cloud" your data needs to be spread over 3 different physical servers in a datacenter; when you create what used to be referred to as a Virtual Private Server (e.g. a "droplet" in Digital Ocean parlance, or an "instance" on Amazon Web Services), you are getting a server that is actually running, virtually, on several different machines in a single datacenter (in this case SFO1; San Fransisco) that all share resources.

Depending on your cloud provider, you usually also get tools that you allow you upgrade and replicate servers with a click of a button; when you combine multiple running instances of a server with load balancing techniques, you can "scale" your application up to tens or hundreds of thousands of requests per second without a lot of hassle (not that I personally have had a need to do this).

To actually answer your question: yes, I upload all the code and photos and other things to a server in San Francisco; when you type in "modified.in" into a web browser, your computer talks to that computer, and you download the pages and stuff to your system from there.

To be clear: when you create a droplet on Digital Ocean, you choose your OS and it's basic RAM/CPU, but from then on, you are entirely responsible for that machine and what it does. You manage it all via SSH and (typically) BASH (the command line). "sudo apt-get install apache2" type stuff. There is no web-based admin panel or tech support if you fuck something up :)

Gotta go...

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 01 Dec 2017 00:17

Hey Allan, I do a bunch of development based work and one of the things that I always mention to people is that if your site is mainly WordPress you might be able to create a static site that you then serve (possibly via CDN). If possible this is much lighter on server resources and greatly reduces the attack surface of your site.

For example a friend of mind wrote this: https://github.com/wiseNhammer/middleman-wordpress
To work with this: https://github.com/middleman/middleman

This might just be repeating things you know, but I figure it might help for other people reading this post.