Shred Shoe Finder

Working on a footbag-related project? Ask for help, get feedback/advice here.
Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Re: Automagical Removal via eBay API

Post by Kylescook » 01 Feb 2015 13:50

Allan wrote:Aaaaaand it's running :lol: I was still stoked on it when I got up, so I put a couple more hours into the code and got it fully working. It removed a couple of listings this morning already, and will update every 6 hours to make sure that everything is up to date and active. I still need to code some robustness into the script, but I'm stoked that we're finally using the API and our wonderful moderators no longer need to manually look at every listing to ensure that things are valid. Now they can focus their energies on making sure that there are no shitty shoes listed :D

My next steps are to use my newfound API powers to make the import process more robust (e.g. removing the need to input the shoe size for starters) and then I'll probably clean things up a bit and that should pretty much be that. I'm sure I'll come up with some other enhancements soon. If anyone has any ideas of how to make it cooler, do speak up :)

8)
Awesome work Allan. Really glad you decided to put some extra work in this. It's even more awesome than it already was. Props for being the man!
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Allan

Re: Shred Shoe Finder

Post by Allan » 01 Feb 2015 17:09

Thanks Kyle :)

I've discovered that there's essentially no way for me to extract shoe size(s) reliably from the API. Some listings have the element, some don't. It'd be nice if eBay were to structure the input form for sellers to try to isolate this handy bit of information; as the deciding factor in a sale, I would have thought they'd have this more fleshed out. Maybe I'm missing something. My call to GetSingleItem has the "IncludeSelector=ItemSpecifics" parameter, but the response, even if it had the right element every time (it doesn't), still requires parsing to guess the size key.

As well, there is zero consistency in how sizes are displayed on the eBay page itself, so trying to scrape the info directly is almost pointless. I could try to parse it using the scrape, but ... lol, no. As such, we essentially have to ask people to determine the size(s) for themselves and enter that along with the link. This is burdensome, but it's not too bad in my opinion. Thoughts? At least I'm not asking them to enter the price as well. At the moment, I'm scraping that info ;)

We could try not having the size field with the URL field at first; you'd just paste the link and hit 'go'; the script would try to extract the info from the API (we'll be making a call anyhow to get the price since the aforementioned scraping technique is not robust), but if it fails, then you'd get presented with a "what size?" form as a second step in the process. This isn't the best approach because if you might have to know the size, wouldn't it be better if we were up front about that, instead of maybe asking you for it and forcing you to return the eBay page in the middle of the process?

No, I'm not overthinking this ;)

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 02 Feb 2015 04:04

Allan wrote:Thanks Kyle :)

I've discovered that there's essentially no way for me to extract shoe size(s) reliably from the API. Some listings have the element, some don't. It'd be nice if eBay were to structure the input form for sellers to try to isolate this handy bit of information; as the deciding factor in a sale, I would have thought they'd have this more fleshed out. Maybe I'm missing something. My call to GetSingleItem has the "IncludeSelector=ItemSpecifics" parameter, but the response, even if it had the right element every time (it doesn't), still requires parsing to guess the size key.

As well, there is zero consistency in how sizes are displayed on the eBay page itself, so trying to scrape the info directly is almost pointless. I could try to parse it using the scrape, but ... lol, no. As such, we essentially have to ask people to determine the size(s) for themselves and enter that along with the link. This is burdensome, but it's not too bad in my opinion. Thoughts? At least I'm not asking them to enter the price as well. At the moment, I'm scraping that info ;)

We could try not having the size field with the URL field at first; you'd just paste the link and hit 'go'; the script would try to extract the info from the API (we'll be making a call anyhow to get the price since the aforementioned scraping technique is not robust), but if it fails, then you'd get presented with a "what size?" form as a second step in the process. This isn't the best approach because if you might have to know the size, wouldn't it be better if we were up front about that, instead of maybe asking you for it and forcing you to return the eBay page in the middle of the process?

No, I'm not overthinking this ;)
Typing in the size when you have the link in hand already isn't really all that much more work, so I don't mind doing it every time if there is an issue with getting the data from the link automatically.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 11 Feb 2015 09:54

I was just thinking about this. Is there a way to prevent the same Ebay link from being used more than once, unless the previous link was removed from the list?
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

PavelMotorov
Hack Fiend

Post by PavelMotorov » 15 Feb 2015 02:29

Hi! Hope you guys help me with this one. I need old style rod lavers blue 9 us. Still for me they are the best. I ordered several times from different websites where I used to get lavers, but they brought me the new heavy model. Maybe someone knows the place where olds are still for sale or maybe someone has them for sale. Waiting for answers! Thanks!
Freestyle Sport - Russian show-group
see more: www.youtube.com/user/pavelmotorov

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 15 Feb 2015 07:38

PavelMotorov We will keep an eye out. be sure to check this link for updates http://modified.in/footbag/shredshoefinder/
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 23 Feb 2015 11:26

I've added new links to a few pairs over the past few days
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Allan

Post by Allan » 12 Jun 2015 17:00

I've basically abandoned this :(

Maybe at some point I'll get inspired, but there are new toys to play with.

It should automatically post to the Facebook group...