Drill of the Day 2017

Footbag videos and footbag related videos such as takraw, freestyle soccer, etc.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Drill of the Day 2017

Post by C-Fan » 15 Dec 2017 08:08

New addition to the Joulukalenteri this year, we're also doing a "drill of the day." I've been a bit inconistent getting these to Nathan due to some unexpected changes in my schedule, but I'm now caught up. Here are the drills released so far:

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Drill of the Day 2017

Post by Tjuggles » 15 Dec 2017 11:59

Thanks for doing this, and also posting them here. I will attempt these!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Day 9 DOTD

Post by C-Fan » 15 Dec 2017 16:49

I think you'll find all these pretty easy TJ. Probably even to the very end.

New one today!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Day 9 DOTD

Post by Tjuggles » 16 Dec 2017 13:26

C-Fan wrote:
15 Dec 2017 16:49
I think you'll find all these pretty easy TJ. Probably even to the very end.
We will see. Day 8 and 9 might give me trouble. I have never hit blink before. I have tried it but not yet hit it.
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Days 10 & 11

Post by C-Fan » 18 Dec 2017 08:08

It's not bad, just set low and let your body weight do the dex for you.

Here are days 10 and 11.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Drill 12

Post by C-Fan » 19 Dec 2017 04:56

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Drills 13 and 14

Post by C-Fan » 20 Dec 2017 07:40

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Drill 15

Post by C-Fan » 21 Dec 2017 08:44

Has anybody been trying these?

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Day 16

Post by C-Fan » 21 Dec 2017 15:16

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 21 Dec 2017 23:25

I haven't tried them yet, but I plan to.
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Thoughts on Drill of the Day

Post by C-Fan » 22 Dec 2017 07:56

I appreciate it TJ. I had the idea for Drill of the Day after I heard some people complain that the concept for LOTD by its very nature ignores bothsidedness. So I wanted to try out DOTD to see if that might draw in more participation from that crowd. Of course, the other edge of the sword, is that bothsidedness is hard. So while you might be able to fluke out a LOTD, it's harder to fluke out a DOTD. Anyway, I'll be curious to see what the participation is like this year. If there's a decent response, I'd like to try it again next year, but with a lot more advance preparation and maybe with 2 skill levels offered. This year I tried to err on the side of easier difficulty (very few fives, no sixes, every drill had a 4 or lower in it, no crazy transitions in the links, etc.), but I have no idea if people thought it was too easy, too hard, or just right. No three adds until day 3, no four adds until day 10, no five adds until day 17. This year it was kind of a last minute idea, and I didn't have the time to really execute it as well as I would have liked. I think we'll finish with just 19 drills instead of 24, and a bunch were not shot/executed as well as I would have liked either. Still, better than nothing, especially for the first year it was offered.

Here's day 17. Apologies for the sloppy stall at the end.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Thoughts on Drill of the Day

Post by Tjuggles » 22 Dec 2017 12:27

C-Fan wrote:
22 Dec 2017 07:56
I appreciate it TJ. I had the idea for Drill of the Day after I heard some people complain that the concept for LOTD by its very nature ignores bothsidedness.
I myself was surprised to see Nathan posted that LOTD advanced did not require bothsides to get full points.
C-Fan wrote:
Of course, the other edge of the sword, is that bothsidedness is hard. So while you might be able to fluke out a LOTD, it's harder to fluke out a DOTD.
Agreed; BSOS is tricky. On the other hand, I think it is important to promote bothsidedness as much as possible so that future footbaggers get it in their minds from the beginning. I wonder how much different my game would be if I had known that from the beginning? I mean, when I/we started, BSOS wasn't a thing. Did you have bothsidedness in your head from the beginning of your career? I seem to remember GFSmoothie telling me to hit things bothsides, so I may have just been lazy, although I know that he had issues with bothsidedness and his style likely rubbed off on me to some extent (not complaining or blaming in any way).
C-Fan wrote:
Anyway, I'll be curious to see what the participation is like this year. If there's a decent response, I'd like to try it again next year, but with a lot more advance preparation and maybe with 2 skill levels offered. This year I tried to err on the side of easier difficulty (very few fives, no sixes, every drill had a 4 or lower in it, no crazy transitions in the links, etc.), but I have no idea if people thought it was too easy, too hard, or just right. No three adds until day 3, no four adds until day 10, no five adds until day 17. This year it was kind of a last minute idea, and I didn't have the time to really execute it as well as I would have liked. I think we'll finish with just 19 drills instead of 24, and a bunch were not shot/executed as well as I would have liked either. Still, better than nothing, especially for the first year it was offered.
Interesting. I was wondering how you decided the drills. Now that you have them written here we can refer back to them next year. I bet it was difficult to decide based on your criteria what a 'crazy' transition is. Everyone can do different moves to different degrees, meaning that one person's crazy is another persons's everyday.

Thanks for doing these. Out of curiosity, how many tries on average are they taking you to hit? Are you doing most of them first or second try? I feel like some of them are going to take me numerous attempts.
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Final 2 Drills of the Day

Post by C-Fan » 25 Dec 2017 05:22

Tjuggles wrote:
22 Dec 2017 12:27
Out of curiosity, how many tries on average are they taking you to hit? Are you doing most of them first or second try? I feel like some of them are going to take me numerous attempts.
Bunch of variables at play here. I think I shot these in 3 batches. First batch I was a bit sick, but my healthiest of the 3. Next 2 batches I was pretty sick and out of shape. Also the first batch was the easy and intermediate stuff, so I got most of those pretty quickly. Also, when I had multiple drills to shoot, if I got stuck on one drill for a couple tries I'd just switch to another to ensure I'd film the maximum possible. I can't recall the specifics of every drill this year, but I do remember in some cases being surprised to hit certain ones first try (pdx whirl to rev swirl surprised me, since I'm not great at flip rev swirl), while others that I'd expect to normally hit within a couple tries (toe blur-tap) took me a lot longer than expected. Then of course is the question of execution. Some of these came out sloppier in execution and framing than I'd like, but given my time constraints and the lack of a viewfinder on the GoPro, I just had to roll with them.

On that note, here are the final 2 drills of the calendar:

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 27 Dec 2017 20:52

I started trying a few of these, but wasn't filming. Will try and film a few in future.

First three I was able to do easily
Number 4, nothing. Maybe could hit that in the future.
5. Could only do the link on one side.
6 and 7 were reasonably easy but took more tries than I wanted.
8 I hit on one side
9 I didn't try, but I don't think I could do that anyway.
10 Didn't get this but I think I could at some stage
11. Did the link on both sides but couldn't put them together.
12. I could do on one side

I tried a few more but no success. Looks like I need a lot of work to get through these. I believe Jakub M has hit them all.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Final 2 Drills of the Day

Post by Tjuggles » 28 Dec 2017 00:18

C-Fan wrote:
25 Dec 2017 05:22
Tjuggles wrote:
22 Dec 2017 12:27
Out of curiosity, how many tries on average are they taking you to hit? Are you doing most of them first or second try? I feel like some of them are going to take me numerous attempts.
Bunch of variables at play here. I think I shot these in 3 batches. First batch I was a bit sick, but my healthiest of the 3. Next 2 batches I was pretty sick and out of shape. Also the first batch was the easy and intermediate stuff, so I got most of those pretty quickly. Also, when I had multiple drills to shoot, if I got stuck on one drill for a couple tries I'd just switch to another to ensure I'd film the maximum possible. I can't recall the specifics of every drill this year, but I do remember in some cases being surprised to hit certain ones first try (pdx whirl to rev swirl surprised me, since I'm not great at flip rev swirl), while others that I'd expect to normally hit within a couple tries (toe blur-tap) took me a lot longer than expected. Then of course is the question of execution. Some of these came out sloppier in execution and framing than I'd like, but given my time constraints and the lack of a viewfinder on the GoPro, I just had to roll with them.

Yeah, pretty much what I thought, especially with the vague question that I posed. So far:
- Days 1, 2, and 3 were all first try,
- Day 4 was surprisingly difficult (taking about 5 minutes of trying),
- Day 5 took a few more tries than I thought it would, and
- Day 6 I think was first try.

Here is the first batch on video:

Thanks for putting these up Ken. They are a nice way to break up the monotony. Plus they can be used as a diagnostic; since day 4 took so many tries, I know that I need to work on flip symposium mirage and both ss eggbeaters.
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Nice TJ!

Post by C-Fan » 30 Dec 2017 23:14

Nice work TJ. Seeing you do the DLO one made me realize I still haven't tried Ryan's combos. Look forward to seeing more of your DOTDs!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Nice TJ!

Post by Tjuggles » 01 Jan 2018 13:23

C-Fan wrote:
30 Dec 2017 23:14
Nice work TJ. Seeing you do the DLO one made me realize I still haven't tried Ryan's combos. Look forward to seeing more of your DOTDs!
Thanks, Ken. I will try to do some more of them today during my first shred of 2018!
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Nice TJ!

Post by Tjuggles » 02 Jan 2018 13:30

Tjuggles wrote:
01 Jan 2018 13:23

Thanks, Ken. I will try to do some more of them today during my first shred of 2018!
Here are Days 7, 10, 12. Days 8, 9, 11 weren't happening yesterday, although I got close a couple of times. I will try them again the next time I kick. Great practice!

TJ Boutorwick

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 02 Jan 2018 17:00

Nice job on all the drills, especially toe diving clipper > dlo :wink: Took me a stupid number of tries to get that on camera. I need to work on clipper near dlo....
Ryan Morris

PSU crew, ECFU, Michigan Footbag, and counting.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Nice work

Post by C-Fan » 03 Jan 2018 10:30

Nice TJ!

I wonder if anybody else has filmed any of these. I haven't seen any others.