Cant do knee kicks. I just started.

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Fuzzy
Circle Kicker

Cant do knee kicks. I just started.

Post by Fuzzy » 19 Jul 2014 11:44

Hey guys. im only 12 years old and i cant seem to do knee kicks. I'm trying to get my thigh at a 90 degree angle with my body. And im trying to hit the footbag right above my knee. I'm using a cosmic staller footbag but plan on making my own. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Allan

Re: Cant do knee kicks. I just started.

Post by Allan » 19 Jul 2014 12:02

Welcome!

I'm hoping someone else will chime in with a more thorough response, but:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrj38lOcaBE[/youtube]

There are numerous great resources for learning footbag on YouTube...

I'm sorry I can't be more thorough just now, but seriously welcome, and thanks for posting!

Fuzzy
Circle Kicker

Post by Fuzzy » 19 Jul 2014 12:07

thx for the feedback. ill try to do what hes doing lol

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 19 Jul 2014 20:06

There is something kind of deceiving about the name "knee kick" because it's not really done with the knee. It's more as you stated, above the knee. In the video above, you see how Ianek kicks the bag with his leg, not with the knee. Do this and it will be helpful. You've got the right idea with the 90 degrees. WELCOME to Modified.in! Glad you're on board. =)

Fuzzy
Circle Kicker

Post by Fuzzy » 20 Jul 2014 18:10

Thx so much for the feedback! if anyone has suggestions please post them up!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 20 Jul 2014 18:52

Hey Fuzzy, welcome to modified! It's always useful to update your location, at least your state, in your profile, because there could be a pro footbagger around your area and you don't even realize it. That's how it happened for me!

We have been getting a pretty nice number of younger players recently. I have a footbag student who is 15 that I am teaching, and he's learning well. What state do you live in? I might be able to find a club of shredders that live near you that your parents could take you to meet up with and they could teach you the basics of footbag instead of trying to learn from videos online.

But I saw you said you wanted to learn how to stitch… This is a really great step-by-step how-to video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQjZHPBL9F8[/youtube]

Hope this helps, man!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Fuzzy
Circle Kicker

Post by Fuzzy » 21 Jul 2014 18:10

Thx alot guys for all the feedback. i really do appreciate it! sadly my highest record for doing knee kicks alone is only 6 :cry: i know pathetic. every time it seems to go off the side of my knee and shoot out other than straight up where i want it to go. though i do feel like i have been improving!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Jul 2014 18:24

Practice makes perfect :) You really have to try to shoot your knee up straight and hit the bag right in the center of your knee/a little above your knee (just a bit on your thigh).

@C-Fan lives in Denver. Maybe you could meet up with him if he's ever out that way. He's very good and he can show you the basics, so you have a better idea of how to do kicks and stalls.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Allan

Post by Allan » 21 Jul 2014 19:45

Don't be too hard on yourself. Doing 6 consecutive knee kicks is actually pretty good. They're not the easiest kick to do consecutives of. How many kicks can you do when you're alternating surfaces?

Fuzzy
Circle Kicker

Post by Fuzzy » 21 Jul 2014 21:52

im trying to get the hard stuff down first so i havent tried any combos with any other kicks. ill try though!

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 06 Aug 2014 15:25

I used to be called Fuzzy, too, back in the good ol' days!

You can do 6 knee kicks? I can't do 6 knee kicks. Tried toe stalls yet?
Ryan Morris

PSU crew, ECFU, Michigan Footbag, and counting.

Fuzzy
Circle Kicker

Post by Fuzzy » 06 Aug 2014 16:45

I have but I cant get those either :cry: I know you want to bring down your foot gently and slowly with the footbag to stall it but I just cant do it

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 06 Aug 2014 21:59

"Can't" should be in no footbag player's vocabulary… Try saying "Haven't done it YET" ;)

Try to pretend your foot is a pillow and the bag is an egg. You want to drop your pillow (aka: your foot) downward slightly at the same time the egg (the footbag) is dropping, so you can cushion it just right so that the egg doesn't break.

Also, what kind of footbag are you using?
Nick Polini

Funblog

Fuzzy
Circle Kicker

Post by Fuzzy » 07 Aug 2014 11:32

Im using a cosmic staller footbag as said in my first post

shred4life
Hack Fiend

Post by shred4life » 07 Aug 2014 11:59

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:"Can't" should be in no footbag player's vocabulary… Try saying "Haven't done it YET" ;)
Quoted for truth.
-Vince R

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 10 Aug 2014 21:20

It's kind of boring, but a good way of learning the first kicks is throwing or dropping the bag straight to the kick and then catching it again. When you're confident with that, move to doing 2 or 3 in a row and then hand catching. The aim is to work on being able to do one well, and then a small number well, in ideal conditions. If you do lots and lose a bit of control when you're learning, it's much easier to learn bad habits. People teaching juggling often talk about the same thing - if you're throwing the balls forward, don't chase them, just let them drop and try again. This same thing goes for any freestyle trick. I think you often find players who were hitting tricks well beyond their basic abilities that have general bad form, while players that really schooled the basics have much better form on hard tricks - people like the Czech crew and Lon Smith are good examples of people who spent a lot of time getting the basics right before moving on. That doesn't mean you can't sometimes try hard tricks for fun of course, but the more time you put into the early stuff, the easier the harder things will be later on.