Shoe Town Throwdown: BSC's Wicked Novemba Pissah; Nov 15-16

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
bobgreen
Multidex Master

Shoe Town Throwdown: BSC's Wicked Novemba Pissah; Nov 15-16

Post by bobgreen » 02 Oct 2014 17:33

I am excited to announce that the Boston Shred Crew is planning to hold a footbag jam on November 15th and 16th! Please save the date and join the BSC for epic shred and other fun footbag shenanigans!

Date:
Shred on November 15-16th. Folks from out of town are welcome to come earlier if it helps their travel situation.

In and around Haverhill, MA (1 hr north of Boston). Anyone considering flying in should look into Logan Airport (Boston, MA) or Manchester Boston Regional Airport (Manchester, NH). These options are equidistant from Haverhill, but Manchester is more convenient to get in and out of. We can likely arrange rides if anyone flies in.

Lodging:
Crash space available on a first come basis at the exclusive 'La Casa Verde’ Bed and Breakfast. We should be able to accommodate roughly 25 people and possibly more if there is demand. Drinking is cool, but no smoking in the house. We have a detached garage that people can use.

Shred Venue Information:

148 Plaistow Rd
Plaistow, NH

Shred Hours
Saturday November 15, 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Sunday November 16, 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm

Description
The Sad Café is a 10 minute drive from my house and is an all-ages venue that has live bands every weekend. See below for details, but it all checks out with Maslow’s hierarchy of footbag needs.

Flooring: There is a stage for the bands and a small dance floor in front of that, but most of the floor space is commercial grade carpet. Dance floor is too slick to be playable, but the carpet has great traction and a wide striped pattern that will not camouflage the bag.

Lighting: In addition to the recessed ceiling lights, we will also have the spotlights arranged to maximize lighting.

Music: We will be plugged into the room, so we can rock whatever iPod list we like with great speakers!

Food/Drinks: No outside food or drinks allowed. They have a concession stand offering water, soda, coffee, powerade, pizza, hotdogs, candy, chips, etc. The water is $1/bottle, so bring a few bucks for that.

Rules: Typical societal norms in place. Do not block doors (all emergency exits), do not bring alcohol or illegal substances on the property, etc.

Rough Schedule of Events:
November 14th:
I’m going to show Penske around a little of Boston on Friday, November 14th. Any early arrivals are welcome to come with us! Will be back to my house by late afternoon or early evening to greet and feed out of town folks arriving. There may be an emergency shred session in my basement.
November 15th:
Shred by day, party by night. We are still working through potential events, but I think we will find a creative way for folks to have an opportunity to win some Green Family Salsa. After shred we will eat something tasty at the shred house (will include vegetarian and omnivore options). We can either rock it at my place for the rest of the night or head downtown a mile away to visit some local Public Houses.
November 16th:
More food, more shred, more fun.

Our goal is to keep this very affordable for people coming into town. In addition to providing snacks Friday evening and a full fledged meal Saturday evening, I envision providing breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. We are going to rock a pay as you wish price structure for the weekend. If cash is tight, come out and have a good weekend on the BSC. If you can afford to throw us 15 bones or something like that, we would be happy to take you up on it.

I’m so hyped for this, and really look forward to seeing many of you here!
Last edited by bobgreen on 16 Oct 2014 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Shoe Town Throwdown: BSC's Wicked Novemba Pissah; Nov 15

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Oct 2014 22:16

Attendee #1. Confirmed. Going. Word.

Make shirts? Shirts would be awesome. Hogan does graphic design and always makes wicked nasty posters for jams. Maybe he can do a shirt design?

Also, I would make a Facebook event for this. More people on Facebook than on Modified.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 03 Oct 2014 06:46

I would love to do this one. Never been to Boston. Are there any bus options or anything for a nonflight/ noncar couple?
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 03 Oct 2014 07:20

Hey Ben, I don't know off hand but I'll see what I can find out (others please chip in if they know something).

Out of curiosity, is the Penn State Footbag Club officially recognized by the school (like do you have a constitution and bylaws and stuff)? When I was in college I was able to get our club recognized as an official club of the school. One of the things that entitled us to was the ability to rent vans from the school to go for weekend trips. Check to see whether you have any similar resources through Penn State.

A van full of the PSU crew would be awesome!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 03 Oct 2014 09:11

I won't be able to make this, but I just wanted to chime in that this sounds awesome. Props for doing this Bob! Hope it's a smashing success.

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 03 Oct 2014 10:28

Oooh a van would be dope. Ryan and April would be the peeps to talk to about that one. I think the most generous psu is with non club sport clubs is compensation for paid transit. It would be a godsend if we could get a van! It's not like psu lacks that kind of resource either... I will check with my constituents on that one.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 03 Oct 2014 12:31

I didn't verify the accuracy of the prices, but this website allows you to search State College to Boston:
http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Pennsylvania- ... ity/Boston

According to that there are bus options that are on the order of $175 each direction. Search on Kayak, at least as of today, shows some flight options for less than that (300 round trip, but not sure if that includes taxes and fees).

Another option is to try to get part way to another player's house and catch a ride the rest of the way?

Hopefully something works out with a van. That would be a nice inexpensive way for you guys to get up here.

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 03 Oct 2014 19:09

C-Fan wrote:I won't be able to make this, but I just wanted to chime in that this sounds awesome. Props for doing this Bob! Hope it's a smashing success.
Thanks for the well wishes! It was nice to see you at ECFC. I wish I would have introduced myself to your wife, but I didn't. Not sure that we got to shred it up, so I'm looking forward to kicking with you again in the future.

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 05 Oct 2014 04:41

krustykrakk wrote:Oooh a van would be dope. Ryan and April would be the peeps to talk to about that one. I think the most generous psu is with non club sport clubs is compensation for paid transit. It would be a godsend if we could get a van! It's not like psu lacks that kind of resource either... I will check with my constituents on that one.
Turns out PSU had a transportation services webpage (http://www.transportation.psu.edu/trans ... t/vehicle/). I checked out the pricing and the drivers qualifications.

Drivers qualification is probably the bigger sticking point:
To rent a sedan, wagon, four-wheel-drive vehicle or 7-passenger van from Fleet Operations, you must:
1. be a University employee
2. be at least 21 years old
3. have a current United States driver’s license
Do any of you TA classes or labs that somehow make you a university employee?

On the cost side, for a 7 passenger minivan it is $79/day plus $0.23/mile. You would have to check, but I *think* that mileage fee might allow you to use their card to fuel the vehicle. Round trip between Haverhill and State College is 920 miles, I'm assuming 1000 miles would have you covered for any extra driving you might do. Based on that even if you rented for 4 days, the cost would come in around $550 which would be fairly reasonable if you could split that 7 ways (assuming van really has that capacity).

If you guys don't meet the qualifications for a van, the only thing I can think of is to try to get to Philly or NYC and hitch a ride from someone else the rest of the way.

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 05 Oct 2014 06:42

I would love to make it out to this, but personally speaking, it doesn't seem very feasible at all.

For some of the reasons, it may be shared with the PSU students in that it's the weekend before the last week of classes before Thanksgiving break and I think that teachers might plan to have midterms that week. It also takes a lot of time traveling, which would probably mean that I (and others) would have to miss classes. In terms of school funding, we would need 40 academic days to notify them to possibly get funding for traveling, which is already too late (since we've been planning the NYC in Michigan and the deadline for funding on that is already October 11).
And another personal reason that I don't share with other PSU kids is that I'm not 21, so I wouldn't be able to go barhopping anyway (I'm pretty lame since I'm only 20 for now).

So, as much as I would like to go, it doesn't seem to be the right timing for me. I would definitely be up for it if it were sometime next year because I would love to go to Boston/Massachusetts (I've never been there or to that area of the States). If something like this does not happen again next year, I might just have to make a trip out there anyway :) And I'll probably take Ben too.
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 05 Oct 2014 14:24

Hey April, Boston would love to have you any time you can come whether for this jam or at a later time.

I’m bummed that the timing collides with midterms (unintentional, I promise), but at least for this jam this is the only timing we can do. Kevin and I had wanted to hold a summer or fall jam, but could never find solid options for inexpensive lodging. I’ve had my house on the market since May, so I haven’t been in a position to offer that as crash space. My wife and I decided the weekend before ECFC to pull the house off the market for 3 months starting in November if we don’t have an offer by the end of October. My only window for offering crash space is November - January, and I think December and January are equally difficult for scheduling people as November. Certainly on a personal level they are tough months.

I really do hope I get to host you and Ben sometime, whether out here or in California when we move out there. I will teach you to make Mozzarella if you haven’t already done it by then. Super fun to do, and only takes about 30 minutes.

Edit: Forgot to address barhopping concerns.

I had thought about the under 21 concern the other day. I think in a couple of the bars it is okay to be in there until 10pm or so if you are under 21. Regardless, if we do end up with a contingent under 21 I'd be happy to invite everyone to chill at my place watching shred videos, playing pass the pig, playing xbox or playstation, or doing whatever else sounds good.

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 05 Oct 2014 17:22

As April said, funding is out of the question with such short notice. We do have van services but it's a hassle to get a driver for one. That said, it would be cool to have a Boston jam in the summer. I would definitely be up for that.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 07 Oct 2014 05:24

Honestly this is probably the best anyone is going to get in terms of a boston jam for the next year or two.

it's only happening really because bob was able to put people up in his house. He'll most likely be gone/or have his house back on the market this spring/summer so as bad as short notice sucks, i doubt we'll have anything else anytime soon.

take that for what it is, but there is a method to the madness.

With that said, if it's financial reasons vs mid terms i'd be more then happy to buy you a bus ticket or throw you gas money if that will sway you Ivan.

EDIT: just saw that bob gave reasoning for the timing woops.

SHOEDOWN!~
Kevin Hogan

BSC

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 07 Oct 2014 05:28

7evinkogan wrote:Honestly this is probably the best anyone is going to get in terms of a boston jam for the next year or two.

it's only happening really because bob was able to put people up in his house. He'll most likely be gone/or have his house back on the market this spring/summer so as bad as short notice sucks, i doubt we'll have anything else anytime soon.

With that said, if it's financial reasons vs mid terms i'd be more then happy to buy you a bus ticket or throw you gas money if that will sway you Ivan.

EDIT: just saw that bob gave reasoning for the timing woops.

SHOEDOWN!~
Kevin Hogan

BSC

Max Power
Fearless

Post by Max Power » 08 Oct 2014 16:19

I'm very happy that this is happening but I have unfortunate news that I will not be able to attend. It's my Moms bday that weekend. I'm sure other NYFA will make the trip cause it's just too close for none of us to come. Hopefully nobody takes a wicked pissah down a flight of stairs or off a ledge that would be a wicked downah.
Drew Martin

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 08 Oct 2014 22:44

This sounds fun! I'll definitely be there!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 09 Oct 2014 02:27

I should come and try to bring a Montrealer with me, still need to figure out details
Mathieu Gauthier

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 16 Oct 2014 04:38

Updated top post with venue information. Check it out, we are very excited about it!

Drew, I'm bummed that you can't make it but I think it is awesome that you'll be hanging out with your Mom. I'd expect there is a high likelihood that you will be receiving some kind of drunk phone call that weekend.

Mathieu, we are excited to have you! Let us know when your details are figured out and who the un-named Montrealer is.

So stoked to see everyone else too. This is looking to be an awesome jam!

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 18 Oct 2014 10:05

Stoked, location sounds awesome. Let me know how I can help Bob. Shoulda probably texted that so no one knows I haven't even asked til now...I can help pick ppl up or whatever. Everyone should come. Bobs actual organizing and hosting skills plus penske combined with me and Kevins propensity for ruckus will make this easily the best jam since raspberry.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 20 Oct 2014 15:35

Im thinking arriving november 14. It will be my one year shred every day anniversary. So i need a sess that day or evening :)
Mathieu Gauthier