How to hook up old skool Sega to new skool tv?!

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
Guest_1
BSOS Beast

How to hook up old skool Sega to new skool tv?!

Post by Guest_1 » 17 Sep 2007 13:16

I tried hooking up my sega to my tv and was distraught!

The sega wouldn't work!!! There was a plug missing on the tv. Is there any way to hook up a sega genesis to a new tv? Is there a special plug?

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 17 Sep 2007 14:13

what plug was missing on the tv?
I believe you should have regular A/V cables(yellow/white/red). just match up the colors.

Guest_1
BSOS Beast

Post by Guest_1 » 17 Sep 2007 14:51

The sega came out before the yellow and red and white cords came out. I'm wondering if there is a less complicated wiring mod than this: http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~dhowland/mod/

Wu_
Multidex Master

Post by Wu_ » 17 Sep 2007 15:21

i dont really remember right but i think its hooked up with an antenna cable right? ...all u really need to do is use a vcr/dvd/receiver that has an antenna input and stick it in there ...finding it on the machine ur using might be the harder thing. is there a pic somewhere of the cable that "should" go into the tv?

*__* Marcus D. W-H. *__*

The Actual Sized E
Fearless

Post by The Actual Sized E » 17 Sep 2007 15:25

What does the AV connection look like on the back? Is it a threaded connection with a small hole in the center? If it is than it's an RF output and you might need an RF modulator.

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 17 Sep 2007 15:34

For my Sega Genesis, I plug the cord into the place where you plug the cable line into the TV.
Danny P.

LEGOMAN
Egyptian Footgod

Post by LEGOMAN » 17 Sep 2007 17:27

Pirate Man wrote:For my Sega Genesis, I plug the cord into the place where you plug the cable line into the TV.

Same for my Saturn and Dreamcast
People that like LEGOMAN - 10
People that hate LEGOMAN - 1000
LEGOMAN´s posts - Priceless

Switch Kicker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Switch Kicker » 18 Sep 2007 05:49

Well, if you're Sega uses an antenna cable then you simply plug it into a device (such as a VCR or DVD player or cable box), and then simply hook that device up to your tv using AV cords.

AV cords are the Red/White/Yellow cords.

Antenna would be the one with the threading and a hole in the middle.

And you're not going to get any better video quality than what you get through an antenna cable. So don't bother trying, you'll just end up wasting money on products that claim to add video and sound quality when all it does is brighten the image, which you can do through your tv set already.

Get an RF adapter if you can't figure out how to hook it up through a device you may already have. They're very simple... You plug your Sega into the RF adapter, and then plug the red/white/yellow cables from the RF adapter into the tv. Simple. they're like 10 bucks at Wal-Mart.

You could always just download Sega games online too if you don't mind using a computer gaming controller (If you have one) instead of the original Sega controller. There's a ton of sites with such downloads.

The Actual Sized E
Fearless

Post by The Actual Sized E » 18 Sep 2007 06:33

It sounds like your tv may actually be just a monitor. A television is actually two devices in one, it's a tuner to tune in the stations and a monitor to view them on. Although they are less common, some manufacturers (usually higher end) also sell straight up monitors which you can connect up separate tuning units to. Since you said your Sega predates the composite a/v output (yellow, red, and white) which most likely means it has an RF output, and that your TV lacks the right kind of input, it leads me to believe that your tv is actually a monitor. If that's the case I think what you need would be an RF modulator (which would have an RF input) that has a composite video AV output. I'll look into it a little more when I get into work today.

Faco
Fearless

Post by Faco » 23 Oct 2007 01:01

you can buy AV cable for Mega Drive/Genesis on eBay
Ales Zazaro

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 23 Oct 2007 04:57

radio shack carries a lot of hookup cables for older systems to newer televisions. try going there, and maybe they can tell you what you need, since we cant see what you're needing.

this reminds me of a south park episode when cartman freezes himself so he wont have to wait for the nintendo wii to come out. he ends up being frozen for 500 years, and in the future there is only one wii in a museum. he ends up going to the museum and taking the wii, only to find out that he cant hook it up to their futuristic televisions.

good episode.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Wu_
Multidex Master

Post by Wu_ » 23 Oct 2007 13:33

PegLegHolly wrote: this reminds me of a south park episode when cartman freezes himself so he wont have to wait for the nintendo wii to come out. he ends up being frozen for 500 years, and in the future there is only one wii in a museum. he ends up going to the museum and taking the wii, only to find out that he cant hook it up to their futuristic televisions.

good episode.
Just reading that I had a dejavu feeling.. omg ..THEY'RE CHANGING THE MATRIX!

*__* Marcus D. W-H. *__*

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 25 Oct 2007 03:20

Play games on your PC!
Oliver Adams

Switch Kicker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Switch Kicker » 25 Oct 2007 05:23

Blue_turnip wrote:Play games on your PC!
That takes the cake right there. So easy to do too. Can probably get just about any Sega game on the internet...

Or you could be a contributing member to the remembrance of the retro games of the past and pay a fee at GameTap.

I can't afford a fee, so I'll stick to just making sure my Atari will always work till the day I die.