Fanzine

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

OK!

Post by C-Fan » 29 Jan 2019 15:12

Yay Top Post Painting! Here's one of my favorite self-portraits. It's by Oskar Kokoschka, an Austrian impressionist who was friends with Egon Schiele (maybe my favorite painter ever). I always liked this painting because of the raw energy that comes through the colors, and the defiance that shines through his jawline and crossed arms. I didn't learn til recently that the arms were added by him in that position once he knew the Nazis were featuring the painting in an exhibition meant to show modern art as degenerate. That makes it like 20% more badass:

More info here:
https://www.nationalgalleries.org/art-a ... ate-artist

January is almost over and I'm happy to report that I'm still doing well with my resolutions. I have played footbag 4 times in the past 4 weeks, I've been slightly better on sleep and diet than last year, and of course the dry streak is still going strong. My shreds this past month haven't been very impressive for various reasons (equipment, subpar spaces, my general conditioning, etc.) but what's important is that I'm doing them. It doesn't matter if I hit any new tricks, any good links, anything "video worthy"... what matters is that I'm making the time and effort to get exercise. I have been filming, though I'm not even sure its worth exporting the video since it's all poorly lit indoor footage of me out of shape.

Here's an old video instead:

A lot of people reached out to see if I was affected by the Government shutdown, which I appreciate. Weirdly enough my particular agency was funded through a separate bill, so I wasn't affected. I do know of 2 other footbaggers in DC though who had to stay home the whole time. They'll be getting paid for the time they missed, but it would be glib and shortsighted to claim they got a paid vacation out of it. I'm sure for the 35 days they weren't drawing a paycheck (and especially the first couple weeks when it wasn't guaranteed they'd get retroactive pay) the uncertainty of income must not have been fun to deal with.
Tjuggles wrote:
26 Jan 2019 13:30
Was that drool you were wiping off of your shirt a bit into the vid? :)
About 3 years ago we rescued an 80 pound golden retriever. I should have just thrown out all my black clothes right then, because Barkley is a shedder. We love the crap out of him though. I am still constantly amazed though to find his fur everywhere.
Tjuggles wrote:
26 Jan 2019 13:30

stepping same clipper > stepping same osis > rpt
gyro clip > gyro osis > rpt
Those are basically perfect; just the right level of difficulty and concepts for where I'm at as I get back into shape. While both are easy to hit a single time (especially lining them up so the links flow through my strong side), I think there'd be a lot of value for me to try and hit them starting from all 4 starting points, or just generally see how many contacts of each drill I could do. I'm guessing that number would be humblingly low... especially for the gyro one. I think that'd expose my weak spins, but hopefully also motivate me to get them stronger.

In exciting news, I ordered a pair of Ivan bags! The last pair I ordered from him was when I was training for Worlds in Portland nearly 2 years ago. I'm hoping that having some nice new bags helps me play better. Training with my current crappy bags may be better for me in the long run, but I've definitely had some frustrations with the bags setting weird and also blending into the colors of the floor.

Muffinman
the gimp

Re: Fanzine

Post by Muffinman » 30 Jan 2019 10:56

He looks a bit like Thanos. What a chin.
Very happy to hear you're able to make time to shred!
Nice. Wet dream is my official favourite hack trick. Fun to see so many in the old vid.

For flip spins, I would highly recommend dialing those now while you're still in pretty good footbag shape for 2 reasons. Spinning is like the funnest part of footbag, and to be able to spin equally from both sides as much as you want in a run and to mix it up regardless of which clipper you're on is just so rewarding and liberating. And when you're much older and hopefully still playing, spinning is going to be one of the components that will hurt the least.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Kokoschka chin

Post by C-Fan » 30 Jan 2019 11:31

Muffinman wrote:
30 Jan 2019 10:56
He looks a bit like Thanos. What a chin.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I totally see that. My wife actually commented he looks like the Heavy in Team Fortress 2 for the same reason. Both characters I really like, for what it's worth. But yeah, I'm guessing part of the reason for the slightly weird chin and arms in the painting is that Kokoschka didn't learn or use traditional perspective, which is why so much of his art looks a bit trippy. Also playing a role? He had a big ass chin:

Also agree that wet dream is an awesome trick. Also underrated is the symposium version, which your boy Risden inspired me to try:

Muffinman wrote:
30 Jan 2019 10:56
For flip spins, I would highly recommend dialing those now while you're still in pretty good footbag shape for 2 reasons. Spinning is like the funnest part of footbag, and to be able to spin equally from both sides as much as you want in a run and to mix it up regardless of which clipper you're on is just so rewarding and liberating. And when you're much older and hopefully still playing, spinning is going to be one of the components that will hurt the least.
I laughed a bit when I read this, because not only do I totally agree with this now...I also agreed with it 10 years ago when my plan was to radically change my game to all spins and ducks! In case it wasn't painfully obvious, I never was able to pull that off. I do think my spins improved because of the effort, but I never got to the point of spinning mastery you described where I could do flip spins without a ton of effort.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

New Units!

Post by C-Fan » 08 Feb 2019 13:02

Epic good news: I have new G-Units! Brand new G-Units! In my size!

A couple weeks back Haley found a pair of G-Units on eBay in my size. This in itself is extremely rare, as most G-Units that appear on eBay and other sites tend to be in larger sizes like 11 and 13. When I checked out the link it almost seemed too good to be true, as the seller claimed they were brand new in the original box. I was a bit skeptical but the photos seemed to bear it out. I hadn't bought anything on eBay in probably over a decade, so I did a little homework to check the seller's reputation before pulling the trigger. They seemed reputable so I bit the bullet ($115! At least that included shipping) and placed the order. I figured my worst case scenario would be they didn't come or they were in bad condition, but I could probably get a refund from paypal if that were the case. I felt like I owed it to myself to at least try since who knows if I'll ever see another pair of G-Units in my size come up for sale again. The whole time I waited for them to arrive they felt like Schrodinger's shoes. As long as I didn't get them, or really as long as I didn't open the box, they'd be simultaneously perfect and disappointing...only turning into either outcome once I opened them. The day they arrived I was pretty nervous about them and tried to temper my expectations. The packaging made me wary; it was a shoebox wrapped in blue electrical tape. No brown paper wrap, no post office sleeve, no nothing. Skeptically I unwrapped the electrical tape until the Reebok shoebox was revealed. I took a deep breath and opened it...and they were fucking perfect. I looked at the soles to see if they showed any sign of wear, and was surprised to find the original "no marking sole" sticker still on there. Wow. The leather didn't feel too dried out or stiff either. Almost like they came out of a time warp from 2005. It felt like Christmas and my birthday rolled into one. I can't remember getting this excited over a physical object in years.

I haven't modded them yet, but I probably will next week. I'm hoping to shoot a quick, very basic modding tutorial in the process. I was on the fence about it, since so few G-Units are out there anymore and the few that exist will probably be acquired by people who already know how to mod them. But then I figured the basic concepts of modding are applicable across shoes, and that somebody getting Lavers could get value from a modding video too. Now I just need to not fuck up the modding, and then find time to edit a video.

In unfortunate news, my phone did a hard reset when it stopped recognizing my touch ID and I got the password wrong too many times. From a footbag perspective, the biggest loss for me was a podcast I had recorded with Brian McKenzie while I was in DC. I had actually tried to pull it off my phone a few times, but it was too large to airdrop or remove in easy fashion. Maybe the lesson there is that if I record more pods in the future I break them up into smaller chunks as I record them so they're easier to work with. Sucks pretty hard though, as I thought the conversation with Brian was one of the more entertaining ones I had recorded.

The other footbag impact of my phone dying is I lost a bunch of footage from my recent gym sessions. I'm not really bothered by that though, since it was all indoor footage and nothing groundbreaking. I was more annoyed and sad about the podcast, as well as losing a bunch of baby photos/videos. I need to be better about backing up my stuff.

In promising footbag news, I saw a beginner post on the Freestyle group on Facebook who lives in the town where I work. I reached out to him, so hopefully after I get back from a work trip we can meet up and we can kick. I get the impression he's a total beginner, but coaching a beginner might motivate me to play more. We'll see.

Since my phone re-set, I have no new footage to post. Instead, here's an old video of Vasek I always liked. Lots of weird, atypical stuff you don't see him do much. I just hate that HD video didn't exist during some of the prime years of Vasek/Jorden:

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 09 Feb 2019 19:20

Great that you got those shoes. I think if they were there in your size, like you said, you have to go for it. If it didn't work out, it's something to complain about, chase down a refund, blah blah.

Too bad about the phone reset, what a pain. How big are the audio files coming up?

Actually I had a similar feeling when I got a few pairs of quantums - but then they didn't last very long before getting damaged, but hopefully yours go well. Different kind of shoe though, and that it's brand new out of the box.

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 10 Feb 2019 05:33

Cool Vasek vid!

I love finding shoes on eBay but they are so expensive in Canada, shipping+import duties can add up to almost as much as the shoes themselves. Plus our dollar is weak.

Looking forward to hearing about this new recruit...

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Shoe mod & lacing video

Post by C-Fan » 19 Feb 2019 11:22

Back in snowy Denver after a week in rainy Vegas. Overall the trip went really well, especially from a health and footbag standpoint. I caught up on sleep, took some relaxing baths, and even managed to footbag twice. Related to that, I brought my new G-Units with me. I considered bringing my broken-in pair to play in and then modifying my new pair in the hotel during the evenings. Then I decided to only bring the new pair as it would force me to modify them if I wanted to shred. I think that was the right call.
C-Fan wrote:
08 Feb 2019 13:02
I have new G-Units!

I haven't modded them yet, but I probably will next week. I'm hoping to shoot a quick, very basic modding tutorial in the process. I figured the basic concepts of modding are applicable across shoes, and that somebody getting Lavers could get value from a G-Unit modding video too.
Here's the result:

11 minutes seems crazy long to me, especially considering how much footage I cut out. In the end though, I think it's better to err on the long side with something like this. People don't modify shoes too frequently, and considering how hard it is to find G-Units and Lavers these days I'd rather people get too much information than not enough. I remember back in 2006 seeing a player in Arizona incorrectly modify some G-Units, and shrugging it off since he could get a new pair for $25 on eBay. That's no longer the case in 2019 though; you probably don't get multiple bites at the apple.

I was also a bit annoyed with the varying sound levels on the video, but it didn't seem worth spending extra time on to fix. Hopefully people find the information useful even if the production quality on the video isn't world class.

Shredwise I lucked out with my timing on the trip. I landed early enough on Monday that I was able to mod my shoes and film it outside. The rest of the trip it was cold and rainy, so pure luck I caught the window for good filming. I didn't have much time to play after I did my modding, so didn't film any shred that session. I had one more session during the trip, but the weather forced me to play inside the gym so I didn't want to be weird and film there while strangers were working out. I didn't hit much notable stuff in either session since the shoes still feel pretty stiff, so no big loss. The only highlight I was genuinely excited about was getting fear bsos a couple times. My flip fairy sucks, so that felt notable. Hopefully I can get a few more indoor gym sessions in over the next couple months. It'd be great to have the shoes broken in and comfy by the time spring weather comes around.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Flus, Shoes, and U-SO

Post by C-Fan » 11 Mar 2019 10:36

Had a bit of a footbag lull, then a whole bunch hit at once over the span of a couple days.

I went about 2 weeks without any footbag sessions, and the day I was set to break that streak my 2 year old came down with the flu. I literally was getting my footbag gear packed up when his daycare called to let me know he was running a fever. I ended up taking 4 days off from work plus the weekend to take care of him (and myself when I came down with a low-grade fever) so the footbag dry streak got pushed to over 3 weeks.

Thankfully, last Friday I was able to get in a shred. The weather was even nice enough I played outside. It was a bit windy and cool and the new G-Units are still really stiff. Despite these less-than-ideal conditions, I was just so happy to play again. I'd also much rather have to deal with breaking in stiff new shoes, than play in old shoes that could die any session.

Here's a short vid I cobbled together of some highlights:

In the middle of the video I tried for tapping flurry, but it came out super weird. Almost like the 3rd and 4th dexes are out of order. I've hit the trick much better in the past, but decided to keep the one in this video because it's a pretty unique trick. Whatever the hell it is. More than anything though I was happy to make some progress on flip fairy set. It's still the weakest of all my basic sets, so even something as easy as Fear bsos feels good.

Within 24 hours of that session I learned that USO is going to happen in Boston this year, likely in mid-August. I know there had been talk of USO in Boise or Seattle in June, both which would have been cheaper and closer for me to get to. While I would have put my odds of attending a Boise/Seattle USO at 80+% I think a Boston USO is much less likely. Not impossible, but less likely for sure. There's definitely a part of me that wants to compete one more time at a major tournament. Not even necessarily winning it or even going dropless, but just having a strong performance I can feel good about. The fact that my 20 year competitive career currently has my 5 drop finals disappointment at Worlds 2017 as the last chapter is really dissatisfying. Even a meh outcome like a 2 drop third place finish at USO would be a big improvement over that. Obviously, the dream would be to do a perfect dropless routine to win my second US routines title and call it a career on that. But even something less than that would be an improvement over my current situation.

Saturday morning I also got an unexpected message from a visiting footbagger who was in Denver for the weekend. But I'll save that for the next post.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 15 Mar 2019 02:20

Looking forward to seeing the surprise visitor. Are we talking a BAP level star? I guess it doesn't really matter at all, it's nice when anyone comes to town. Sounds like Boston would be a cool event. The jam last year looked like a lot of fun. Glad to here those shoes are starting to get worn in - like you said, better that they are stiff and need to be worn in than to be about to explode.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 18 Mar 2019 08:19

Nice tapping flurry!
I watched this video I guess a week before reading this post and don't think I caught it. Maybe I thought it was something else? I don't remember. It almost looks like tap rake.

If it makes you feel any better, I regularly go through patches of months on end not being able to play, so 2-3 weeks doesn't sound too bad to me!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Mar 2019 15:49

The tapping flurry trick does look like a kind of rake at the end, though I'm not sure if that is just the angle that you caught the bag at makes it look a bit different. I'm not sure if I've seen that trick before.

Good to see you playing. I think it's really important once you have a child (or more than one), to have that space to play, even if you're not playing at your peak, I feel it's a big mental thing - that if I don't play, or get out and do something, I feel myself going really mad.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Spring forward

Post by C-Fan » 20 Mar 2019 09:15

C-Fan wrote:
11 Mar 2019 10:36
Saturday morning I also got an unexpected message from a visiting footbagger who was in Denver for the weekend. But I'll save that for the next post.
Or not. I still haven't edited that footage but at least I pulled it off my phone. I'll try and get that put together in the next day or two. Transitioning from the GoPro to my iPhone for filming was smart but now I'm wondering if the next logical step is to start editing videos on my phone. That would remove the barrier of having to offload files to my laptop for editing, which theoretically would speed everything up.

I haven't had a chance to shred since my last post despite the weather being pretty good lately. Griffin's flu eliminated one week of play and then this past week my knees have just been feeling bad. Like, they're fine when I'm walking, but they hurt when I go up or down stairs. I don't want to overreact just yet because for all I know they'll feel fine in a week. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they're just cranky due to the weird pressure changes that accompany our spring weather in Denver. I also wouldn't be shocked if this is also 20 years of footbag catching up to me either. For now though I'm just trying to rest them up some since I don't have any competitions or anything else coming up.
boyle wrote:
18 Mar 2019 15:49
The tapping flurry trick does look like a kind of rake at the end, though I'm not sure if that is just the angle that you caught the bag at makes it look a bit different. I'm not sure if I've seen that trick before.
I don't think it's the filming angle. I think it's just legit weird. Like, I was trying for tapping flurry but ended up hitting something else entirely. This did make me hunt down some of my older tapping flurries. While those ones look a bit better they also had a bit of a funky final legover:

I'm not sure why that happens, especially since my other 4 dex flurry tricks don't have that issue. For example, the pixie flurry at 1:52 here looks textbook on the last dex:

I sat down with Haley and a calendar so we could figure out all our trips and obligations for the next year. We have 3 out-of-state weddings and one wedding in Denver. We also have work trips and hopefully some personal trips too. Reading the tea leaves, this all makes USO in Boston a longshot. I'm also not that confident I'd be able to get in competitive shape in time and if I can't compete I don't think I'd be able to justify such a long and expensive trip. I don't want to rule it out, especially since the prospect of doing a good routine is very enticing. But a lot would have to break my way to make it happen.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 21 Mar 2019 04:39

Wow. So many weddings.
Just watching that second video you just posted -- love the ducking symple swirl > tomahawk sandwich combo!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Wenner is coming...

Post by C-Fan » 02 Apr 2019 10:30

Muffinman wrote:
21 Mar 2019 04:39
Wow. So many weddings.
When it rains it pours; Haley just got a text yesterday that another friend just got engaged. At least that will be in Denver and probably not til next summer at the earliest. The weddings we need to travel to are the worst, since we need to get a dogsitter while we're gone and traveling with a toddler is super challenging.
Muffinman wrote:
21 Mar 2019 04:39
-- love the ducking symple swirl > tomahawk sandwich combo!
I'm 98% certain I stole that from Gatesman. Speaking of which, it looks like I have a work trip to Boise in June. Hopefully I can get a shred/meal/podcast in with the crew while I'm out there.

Spring weather in Denver has been real hit-or-miss, like most years. You'll have days where its t-shirt weather and sunny, but by the time you get your gear and get to your shred spot the sun has ducked behind a cloud and the temps have dropped 20 degrees. Or you'll have a week where its perfect outside every weekday, but then the weekend is a snow dump. Add the baby to the equation (can't play after work because we need to pick him up, randomly skips naps on weekends, random sick days, random bad sleep nights where I can't function the next day) and I pretty much need the stars to align to get in an outdoor shred. Maybe I can figure out a way to play during lunch on telework days or something, because the current system hasn't resulted in many sessions this year.

One session where I really lucked out was when Greg Wenner randomly was in town a couple weeks ago. He called me on a Friday, was leaving on a Tuesday, and wasn't even sure he'd have time for a session. We scrambled on logistics though and somehow set up a shred outside the aquarium while his friends checked it out. We timed it right in the sweet spot of sunshine, which made it borderline playable in t-shirts. Towards the end of the session the wind picked up and it got colder, but we had a good 30 minute chunk where we could play unhindered. Of course, I didn't start filming until that window passed so I didn't get too much good stuff from either of us. I still slapped together a quick video of Greg highlights since he was still hitting some links and tricks that were new to him that session:

I was impressed how quickly he processed and internalized advice. I gave him a few real minor pointers and he was able to adjust his game on the fly to him them. It reminded me a bit of my time in Japan, where I had that satisfying feeling of accelerating people's progression a bit through coaching. I wish I had something like that when I was learning back in the 90s.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Video editing on my phone!

Post by C-Fan » 09 Apr 2019 11:58

Fighting another headcold now, in conjunction with Griffin having another "sleep regression." That basically means he's been waking up between 3 and 4 in the morning and fighting going back down until 5. Some days we are just resigned to starting the day at 5, other days he goes back down to sleep another 90 minutes. Regardless, it's a pretty brutal way to start a workday even when you aren't sick. Doing it while sick is even worse.

From the footbag standpoint all this means I haven't been playing much. But I do have one piece of good footbag news to share:
C-Fan wrote:
20 Mar 2019 09:15
I'm wondering if the next logical step is to start editing videos on my phone. That would remove the barrier of having to offload files to my laptop for editing, which theoretically would speed everything up.
Short answer is yes, that was the logical step, and I'm happy that I finally did it.

I downloaded the iMovie app on my phone, and to my pleasant surprise it is super easy to use. I probably should have researched editing apps the second I made the switch from filming with GoPro to filming with my phone. Being able to edit on my phone is a huge deal since it saves me a few steps that were pretty time consuming. It also gives me the flexibility to edit videos when I'm on work trips (or on lunch breaks even) as I don't need to bring my home laptop with me. I'm optimistic that I'll be able to edit and publish a lot more videos now because of this step.

Here is my very first video shot and edited entirely on my phone:

So yeah, nothing fancy editing wise, but I was able to do it a lot faster and easier than on my laptop. Overall very stoked that I've streamlined the video process so I can now film and edit all on my phone, and don't have to worry about charging/exporting/carrying any extra devices.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 12 Apr 2019 01:04

Is it hard to put a song behind it from the phone? I haven't really tried editing on my phone, I just post a lot of short clips to Instagram instead. Like you said, it just make things a lot faster. I've been having some annoying things with my cables giving me trouble just loading things up on to the computer which has been annoying.

I know about those 5am wakeups too...Not great fun.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 17 Apr 2019 06:52

Great news and fun video!
Also, thanks for mentioning iMovie. I never thought to use it either, so I was able to super quickly crop the short clip I posted from my vacation while on vacation, instead of having to go through all of those steps of transferring and editing on computer. So, thanks!!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Weird May

Post by C-Fan » 22 May 2019 07:36

A lot has happened in the month-plus since I last posted. In no particular order:

:arrow: We had 3 snow storms in May. Three! That's spring in Denver for ya.
:arrow: We had 2 school lockdowns in my area due to active shooters. This is America; guns in my area.
:arrow: I pulled a muscle in my back really badly while lifting my 2 year old into his crib for "timeout" when he was throwing a tantrum. I legit couldn't get out of bed for a day, and I'm still being cautious when I lift anything. I do think my core strength is getting worse since I footbag less, and this is one of the ripple effects.
:arrow: I got in a couple shreds, most of them pretty discouraging. I feel like my Units are still super stiff but I'm also pretty out of shape.
:arrow: I turned 39! Holy crap how am I almost 40 already?

In proper footbag fashion, I celebrated my 39th birthday with a shred. I have all the clips put together, but I want to find a nice song to throw on there. I like having videos of my birthday shreds through the years, as its fun to see the changes in trick selection.

It's looking ever more certain that I won't be going to USO this summer. That'll push my streak of missed tournaments to 2 full years, since I haven't been to any since Worlds 2017. I still hate that my last competition experience was also my biggest failure, and that I haven't had a chance to get that bad taste out of my mouth. If I ever compete again I'll be on the wrong side of 40. That doesn't rule out the possibility of me doing one last dropless or even winning something, but between age and the challenges of being a parent it certainly is harder.

In more positive news, I'll be in Boise for work in about a month. I'm excited to see my friends up there, though my timing with Evan didn't work out. I'm not as upset about that though, since it sounds like he's moving back to Vegas, and I go there for work pretty frequently. Maybe I can use my impending Boise trip as motivation to play a bit more and get back in shape.

Closing out with the last video I ever edited on laptop:

That was a fun session. Having a completely downtime (no sets) session is easier on the body, and also motivated me to do some links I don't normally try. Maybe I'll do another downtime session the next time I play, to help ease me back into the flow of things.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 May 2019 19:32

How close to you were those lockdowns? That's not something you want at all, especially when something like Colombine is quite close to you I think.

Too bad you won't go to USO, I think that will probably be a good event, though it wouldn't surprise me to see you with more dropless routines or victories. How old is Lon now? He must be over 40, but he seems to be playing really well these last couple of years. Helps having a training partner like Jim of course.

Glad not to have done anything that bad lifting the kids, but that risk is always there, and I've quite often pulled up sore from lifting either of them.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 24 May 2019 15:25

Great update, Ken! So happy to see you still shredding. Great variety as well, cool to see the symposium stuff and the da da curves. Great curves.

I also haven't been to any tourneys since World's 2017. Wow it has been 2 years already...I feel you about the age thing; where did the last decade or 2 go? Thinking back to Japan and all the fun shred times with everyone there, the friendships and the parties...I miss it. At the same time I am still having a great time with footbag despite not being around as many (any!) freestylers.

Gonna be posting some footage in my blog in a minute or in the next 24 hours...
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson