Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by boyle » 01 Feb 2019 02:20

yeah, we don't get those temps so I've never seen something like that. We do get down to about -5, sometimes a little bit lower, but that won't produce those kind of effects.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 09 Feb 2019 02:44

I haven't posted in about a week and I don't have too much to report. I hurt my neck somehow a few days ago. I just turned a weird movement while sitting on the couch and it came up really painful. I got a massage the other day but I'm not sure that was much help. It does seem to be clearing up now, but I've been a bit cautious about it.

I got in a short kick today - https://www.instagram.com/p/Btp0xMglAHC/

Also the other day, that wasn't so much of a session, but there was this pelican just sitting there hanging out and I wanted it in the video.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Btj_vc8llMC/

Not sure if I mentioned already, I've been working longer shifts in order to have an extra day off. We'll see after some weeks if it's worthwhile. Seems to be working out OK, but what's also taking my energy is that my riding commute is more than double, so that's gone from about 12km per day up to around 30. Which leaves some time missing for kicking. The ride home is also mostly uphill, so I find when I come home I'm pretty tired and not really ready to have a kick. The garage is totally unorganised too, it doesn't have the same feel to it as the previous place which was pretty much just ready to shred straight away. That I can change though with a bit of effort and work.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 22 Feb 2019 01:11

Been some time between posts, but I don't have much to report, not about footbag anyway. We've got some visitors from Chile out at the moment, they will stay with us the next few days and I've got just over a week off work. Fingers crossed I can get in some footbag in that time. We're heading down the coast, so might have some nice coastal views in the background.

I had a very short kick on the rooftop at the hostel in Sydney. I put in my Instagram comment that it was a familiar footbag location.

ttps://www.instagram.com/p/BuCqA3BlIoA/

Always a good excuse to post this.

Dropless routine to win the Australian Champs.

Unfortunately since then, which is almost ten years ago, where I haven't stopped playing at all. I have only been playing more and getting better (though not in these recent days, I haven't been able to fit in much kicking).

I think I have been to probably less than 5 competitions.

They would be

- Aus Champs 2011 (1st place in Shred 30, mind you, with a very low score).
- The event in Malaysia with Adidas that I was a judge for
- South American Champs 2012 (Medellin, Colombia)
- We had an event with Juho, I think that was end 2014.
- Narooma Jam in 2015, also with Juho
- Worlds 2015 (Copenhagen, Denmark)

And in reality I haven't been to a competition since then, which is kind of disappointing. At least there have been a few visitors to these shores, but I do really love that feeling of the competition (or a jam), though even though I'm never going to win Worlds or something like this, I do like to compete.

Some people describe footbag as a "non competitive sport". I don't think that's true at all. It's an unfortunate situation that the footbag scene in Australia has pretty much dried up. A few of the guys are playing now at then, but not on competition level. Hopefully we can line up something to hang out this year, a Narooma trip would be good. I'm going there for a bucks weekend in a couple of weeks, that should be fun.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 22 Feb 2019 12:53

boyle wrote:
22 Feb 2019 01:11
And in reality I haven't been to a competition since then, which is kind of disappointing. At least there have been a few visitors to these shores, but I do really love that feeling of the competition (or a jam), though even though I'm never going to win Worlds or something like this, I do like to compete.
I agree; I enjoy competing and that feeling of everyone coming together for the love of the sport.
boyle wrote:
22 Feb 2019 01:11
It's an unfortunate situation that the footbag scene in Australia has pretty much dried up. A few of the guys are playing now at then, but not on competition level. Hopefully we can line up something to hang out this year...
We need to meet up at least once already eh? I am the only one that consistently freestyles in the North Island here, and Phil is in the South. I still have yet to kick with him...If we can get something together I know at least a handful of people would come and support, hack, and provide a great environment (depending on whether it was NZ or AU). Let's keep this on the radar!

PS nice shred spot! Were you causing the camera to bounce around?
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 Feb 2019 23:21

I'm coming to NZ for a wedding in November. I'm not sure of our plans yet, we'd like to travel around a little bit. We will fly into Christchurch and the wedding is in Geraldine.

Do you think we could do some kind of NZ champs, or just a jam or something? They used to have very good competitions in NZ many moons ago, I never got the chance to go.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 07 Mar 2019 02:21

I got to play a decent session today. Still only about 30 mins and my body was feeling a bit tired, but it was good to get a longer session in. Thursdays are good for a session as Nico goes to school and then Jasmine is in daycare, so once I do the dropoff I am free. I am going to start having each Thursday off as well, so that will be even better, though I may do some teaching on those days.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bur1lMRFPxZ/

A short clip from the courts today.

I haven't posted anything from down the coast. I didn't get that much kicking in overall, it was a pretty busy time. I'm going down again this weekend, really looking forward to that, it will be in Narooma so will have to get some footbag in.

I did actually get some more clips, but didn't post much up. I will hopefully do a vlog, haven't done one of them in a while. Here's a decent run in sandals. https://www.instagram.com/p/BuVDqQ4F2Qs/

Once I get back from the trip, my schedule is going to be a little more straightforward, so that might make things easier to be kicking. I certainly hope so.

Some of the guys in Colombia are crowdfunding to go to Worlds. I decided to give a good boost - http://sportslashlife.com/colombian-cre ... pionships/ - not just because they were not total jerks about it, but it's actually something I've wanted to do.

I'm hoping Medellin is going to be the destination for 2020 Worlds, which will probably mean I will skip this one and look at going next year with the whole family.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 08 Mar 2019 13:30

Nice first run you got there. I don't remember seeing too much nuclear stuff from you, so great! I tried a few the last time I kicked but nothing really happened. They are tough. I came close to footing 69 a month or so ago but thought that my sets and atomics needed some work before it would feel solid.

I have gotten out of the taking video habit. Will have to change that.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Mar 2019 01:01

Yeah, I used to do a bit more, but I haven't been working on it a bit much. I can't do much more than stuff like matado, sumo, pdx tap. I might try work on a bit more in upcoming sessions.

Unfortunately I don't think we're going to make the North Island on our trip to NZ, but if you want to come to Christchurch, we could try and line up a jam with Phil. He said he would be keen to kick. Got to work out the logistics, but the weddings on the 9th November, I think we'll probably arrive a couple of days before and then leave the following weekend, stay about 10 days. So that weekend around the 16th could work well.

We just had the bucks party for that very event this weekend, down in Narooma. I got some cool videos actually, though I didn't really play for extended amounts of time.

This has a good sunset in the background. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bux9G-dFYIG/

I caught up with an old skating friend I haven't seen in years and years, pretty well since school. Although he just did his ACL so he said he's not going to be skating anymore.

I also played today and got some little runs going. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu3E7TNFdZn/

I was feeling a bit sore which is probably directly related to the thousands of beers drank over the weekend. I popped in and saw my Dad on the way back home, he was having his own gathering of "the boys", they have a regular golf get together and he was hosting.

It was a funny little weekend. We met these blokes in the pub the first night, then they ended up joining us on the BBQ boat the next day.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 15 Mar 2019 03:33

I had a short kick during the break today. I really wanted to get neo set paradon on video. I'm not sure if I have hit that before, I think maybe yes. I came very close to neo motion today also, but didn't end up with either.

Haven't been able to get too many proper sessions going. Had a short kick yesterday, spinning ducking gyro toe was a highlight. Got my bike fixed also yesterday, I needed a new chain, mine was basically ready to break. Feels a lot smoother riding along today, not sure if that will give me any extra time or energy for a kick, but maybe it will.

I say this a lot, but I want to clean up the garage today and set aside a shred area. Every time I do this, we seem to fill it back up with more junk, but hopefully I can get something set aside.

Very bad news in Christchurch, New Zealand today. About 40 people were all shot up in a mosque, seems an Australian guy was one of the main shooters, but there were quite a few people acting together. Apparently the guy had something like "this is my immigration policy" written on the gun. (In a country that he is not even from). Pretty grim stuff.

The Raiders start playing this week, looking forward to the season back on again. Have a friend coming up from Melbourne next week to go to the game, so that should be quite fun.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 18 Mar 2019 08:23

Yeah, heard about the shooting. That's so scary D: I heard that gun laws there are super lax, but that they're really gonna step it up now :(

Nice clips as usual, and great news to hear that Phil is eager to play!
It's great that you're able to play so consistently and film so many clips!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Mar 2019 01:23

Not a very good thing at all. There has been a lot in the press about it here as the time goes on.

Phil has posted a few videos recently, as always he looks in good form. It was great to play with him at Worlds a few years back in Denmark. So hopefully can line up a kick with him. I don't think we'll get to the North Island this time around, but maybe TJ can come down.

I've been playing a bit, but still haven't been able to get those consistent sessions in. Or when I do, I get long runs going. I haven't come close to a 20x20. The other day I started a session with a 19 contact run and was thinking it would be a good day for a 20x20. Didn't get there, but it started raining as well so I probably would have got washed out.

Here's a few clips

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvQHC77Fs0e/

On the way up to Gibraltar Peak, that was a good walk I did during the weak. Great views all over the city.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvSfflTlVYo/

Spinning butterfly swirl

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvYgIqDl7-2/

This is just a short clip from today. There was some glass around where I was playing which was a bit annoying. I was trying to hit inspinning gyro toe, but couldn't get it. (Also annoying).

I have heard Dan Ednie is play a bit again down in Melbourne, which is good to hear. He was a very good player in his time. I will have to get down to Melbourne at some stage this year. I've been down every year since we came back from Chile but I'd like to stay there for a few days.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 12 Apr 2019 01:27

Not too much posting of late. Here's a roundup of Footbag on Instagram for March - http://sportslashlife.com/footbag-on-in ... arch-2019/

Here's a clip from today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwJY_h3FnJL/

It's nothing particularly special but I finally got a decent length run captured. I've really been struggling for long runs lately.

Here's a run from yesterday. This is practically nothing, but it is on top of a mountain with a nice view.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwIx2RuFZLe/

It's interesting, I went to this place a few years back and made up a short post on my Sport/Life site. People keep coming to it for some reason - nobody ever leaves a comment (maybe it's just spam bots, but I think the place is relatively unknown). This time I got to the top of the next hill, which I failed the last time. I also made two new posts about the same place, so we'll see if they get the same level of popularity.

I made a little vlog about our trip down the coast with the family a while back. They are barely in it. There is a little bit of footbag but not that much. I'm planning on doing one from my Narooma trip the following week. I mentioned on Ken's blog I've been having some troubles with cables and things, which is giving me grief with charging and with loading files onto the computer.

That's all the news I've got for the moment. Francisca is going to Chile for a few weeks with Jasmine next month and Nico and I will stay at home. Hopefully can get a bit of kicking in during that time, maybe a kick with Dyalan in Sydney if that can work out.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 17 Apr 2019 06:57

Loving the roundups. Such a great idea! And it's nice that you include some regular hack stuff too. What's your strategy for accumulating this stuff? Just tags and users that you subscribe to on IG? Or do you go out of your way to do additional research every month?

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Apr 2019 01:16

I just go in around the end of each month and check #footbag and #hacysack - I keep an eye out just when I'm scrolling through, but those two are usually enough to bring up 10 or so. It's something I've enjoyed doing. I will also just look at particular players who post a lot on Insta, Taishi and Honza are often doing cool events and they don't always come up in the regular searches. I generally just do it on a slow night at work where it's nearing the end of the month, though I was a bit late on that one. I like it when I come across people sharing a full hack or something like that.

I could probably be a bit more organised about it, but it's not something I've really set up as yet. It's interesting though, sometimes I come across people with huge amounts of followers playing hack, it would be interesting if one day something like that went "viral" like a "hacky sack challenge", like when people were doing planking or tipping a bucket of water on their head, etc, etc.

In not footbag news, the Raiders are going really well this year. I've only been to one game and they lost that one, but they are on a 4-1 record, so maybe there's something to that. I've got myself a membership so I'll get to a few of the games as they come this year.

Haven't got much to report on the footbag front. Trying to get some further plans to get to New Zealand. We are definitely going, just got to decide the amount of days and exactly where to go.

Here's a couple of Instagram runs from me. This one was a good long flow. There were a couple of bails in there, but it's nice to just keep going for a while.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwV0Ic_l_Mu/

Here's one that took far too long to do

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwRNWS3lDfs/

I was looking to emulate this combo, from one of the first videos I put onto Youtube, in maybe 2008.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 19 Apr 2019 14:21

boyle wrote:
18 Apr 2019 01:16
Haven't got much to report on the footbag front. Trying to get some further plans to get to New Zealand. We are definitely going, just got to decide the amount of days and exactly where to go.
I'm sure you will, but keep me in the loop. I will try to make it wherever for some shred. As an FYI if you make it to Wellington the hack crew (who you may know?) will be more than happy to welcome you with open feet.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Apr 2019 01:27

At this stage we will probably just be on South Island, but someone was telling me the ferry between the islands is an awesome experience, so I am looking at options for flying into Wellington and then going across from there. See how we go.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 26 Apr 2019 03:42

I had a short kick today. I got this good run on video - https://www.instagram.com/p/BwthP6jlh76/ - I didn't actually kick much more than that. So this shows me in a good light. Which is good, because if you were watching me riding my bike in the early hours of the previous morning after many beers, than that probably wasn't my best look.

I went and saw At The Gates a couple of nights back, had plenty of beers and a good time, then rode home, which was not a good time. I crashed, more than once. Got lost on the reasonably short journey to my home and added about double the distance to get there.

So now I have a big graze on my left knee, it feels like a cork or something on the right leg - I think my bike fell on top of me in one the crashes. Both shoulders are sore. Anyhow, going into this kick in the meal break this evening I was thinking of just doing something light, maybe just consecutive kicks. I kicked a soccerball around during the day so I knew I could do something. I was pleasant surprised with things like ripped warrior mid run. It doesn't seem to have done any further damage either, so that's good too.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 May 2019 01:58

I came very close to 6 fearless the other day. Still haven't broken that mark, but I shouldn't be far off.
(phoenix>blurry whirl>spinning ducking butterfly>spinning ducking osis>paradox blender, dropped on motion. Too bad, because motion is probably the easiest trick in that run and one I'm pretty decent at. I didn't really have a good set on it at all though.

I filmed a bunch of that session, so I'll see if I can make something out of it. There's a lot of colour around with the autumn leaves. I have an idea to make a video, it will probably be a vlog and call it "Autumn". (In a nod to David Clavens, just without all the great tricks). The idea will be to be playing in cool backgrounds with the changing leaves.

I don't think the colours have been as strong this year, but we went for a walk this morning in our suburb and there were some good colours around, so I will just have to find a good place, probably down by the lake.

Here's a short run from a few days back. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw5z7v-FoQe/

We booked our tickets to New Zealand, so we will be in Christchurch from November 1 for a bit over a week. I'm looking at the options for how we're going to get around and where we're going to go and it's all looking a bit more expensive than I was hoping for. Looking forward to the trip though. Should be great. I'll have to update my passport before we go, it's expired now.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 07 May 2019 04:36

Great job on always posting so much video content! Your motions are so strong.
Also, how are you feeling now after those crashes? Yikes! Hope you're okay :)

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 07 May 2019 16:43

Much better, it didn't really stop me from playing much. I was a bit sore and feeling quite silly the following days, but I'm pretty good now. I played squash with a workmate the other day, and had a close loss. That probably put me in more pain than the crash! All the wounds are healing up pretty well now. It's two weeks back now, so it's good it hasn't been persistent, it was hurting quite a bit in those early days.

Here's a short run from yesterday. https://www.instagram.com/p/BxJgdMDlDyu/ - there's a little hopscotch thing there so I like to play a game where you go up by adds, then if you drop you go back down. It's quite a fun little training game - the idea I have is also to do a different trick each square you get to. I didn't get anything on the 6 square this time around.