Color Patterns [Was:"Bag styles..."]

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 09 Dec 2007 11:15

6 and 10 of each color.

MrUnderArmour
Shredalicious

Post by MrUnderArmour » 11 Dec 2007 17:11

a little different variation of the radiation style
Justin Reynolds

"Nation on that fire, do work, status!!"

www.myspace.com/mrunderarmour

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 24 Jan 2008 17:35

Topic bump.

Two types of patterns, all in one 32.

#1: half & half 32 - two different colors for the hexes (10 each), two different colors for the pents (6 each).
#2: Spikes: 10/10/10 spikes of 3 different colors. 30 spikes in total.

Variation on the "Stripes" pattern.

Charlie Brown! (#115)

32 colors.

Variation on "Bipolar" pattern. Rainbow Bipolar bag.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 13 Feb 2008 20:13

Props to Nick Landes for contributing this very original (and very creative) rainbow design on a 32. His "For Sale" topic is here.
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 14 Feb 2008 14:34

i call it "flip-flop"

Julien Cote

Proud to be sponsored by http://www.kolosport.com

sidekick
Egyptian Footgod

Post by sidekick » 22 Feb 2008 23:02

I really like that pattern, is it half of each pents and hexes in different colors?
Nick Landes

Proudly Representing Fourkast Footbag Co.
http://www.fourkast.com

Portland Blog

All the ladies love Matt Cross because Johnny Depp + Footbag = Matt Cross

Mastery is the combination of knowledge and practical experience

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 23 Feb 2008 14:25

yes

6 green
6 grey
10 orange
10 aqua

and the pent arent in a triangle shape .. more "Y'ish"
Julien Cote

Proud to be sponsored by http://www.kolosport.com

HippieTom
Shredaholic

Post by HippieTom » 07 Jul 2008 10:27

how many pents and hexes of each color do you need for a spiral pattern?
Tom Stouffer

CL: fairy, pixie, consistency, swirls, whirls, and bops(consistency)

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 07 Jul 2008 12:08

i think the atomic gobstopper pattern is the hottest

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 23 Jul 2008 23:34

for a 3 color blur, what amount of hexs do i use of each 2 colors?

like say Im using red and black for hexs... How many of each should i cut out?

sorry for asking, its just the pics dont really help :wink:

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 24 Jul 2008 05:21

For 3 colour blur patterns, there are two different ways to do it.

For a 10/10 blur, you use 10 hexes of 1 colour and 10 of another.

The other option in a 12/8 blur, which uses 12 hexes of one colour and 8 of another.
Eskimo Joe

HippieTom
Shredaholic

Post by HippieTom » 24 Jul 2008 08:08

also dude the answer to your question is already posted on the first page of this thread, just in case you didn't know :)
probably a good idea to read through threads to see if the answer is already there before posting a question, just a thought :D
good luck with the blur pattern though they're saweet!
Tom Stouffer

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 24 Jul 2008 14:11

i did read through a little, but i was stitching while i was on the furum last night, so i guess i skipped over it...

HippieTom
Shredaholic

Post by HippieTom » 24 Jul 2008 14:29

haha sorry if that was a little harsh soundin, not my intention at all haha
was just a thought :)
Tom Stouffer

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 24 Jul 2008 15:50

nah, its fine... lol

its just kinda hard to think about what fabric you need to cut out, stitch, and read at the same time... at 4 in the morning... lol...

the reason i started cutting out fabric midway through the stitching process, was because I needed to get more hexs, cause I ran out... I had no clue how many I needed of each color :roll:

but its all good in the hood yo!

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 24 Jul 2008 17:26

Oh man... if I ever decide to retire from footbag stitching, I guess the best thing I can provide to the footbag community is instructions on how to sew different types of patterns, the types & amount of colors needed, and the best method in approaching them.

I tried using Google sketch-up to work with this before, but I could never really find out how to use the program. Kidzanshin did help me out with the program, but I'm a bit too dim to understand his instructions. :oops:

Well, when I find the time, I'll take pictures and make a step-by-step advanced sewing tutorial on one type of pattern, and help people dissect it so that they understand what to do. :)
NYFA represent.

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 24 Jul 2008 20:36

you should do atomic and atomic gobstopper... i wana learn how to do those...

HippieTom
Shredaholic

Post by HippieTom » 25 Jul 2008 05:55

i second the radiation gobstopper request
Tom Stouffer

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 25 Jul 2008 07:57

I'll just hit the nails on the head for both of these designs, as they're both very, very easy. You just need to coordinate your sewing path and have the right materials.

Names for patterns are a bit funky, but I'll do my best to help with this.

Just a reminder for all stitchers wanting to challenge themselves with patterns: the formula for patterns is extremely easy. Just remember that it takes 20 hexagons and 12 pentagons to make a 32-panel bag. Five is the best divisible number out of 20 hexagons, as you will be cutting 4 panels each for even distribution, and most patterns are primarily based off of the 10/10 blur or the 12/8 blur pattern with some variation.

Radiation style: Very simple. Four hexagons will be reserved per 3 pentagons, thus making the "radiation" style. You can use two colors to make the bag, or a separated colored hex to distinguish the union of 3 pentagons, or 4 colors to separate the 4 radiation patterns on the bag. There will be 16 hexagons as the foundation for the rest of the bag. You can also play around with this, since there are 16 hexagons, and with 4 colors you can reserve 4 hexagons per color to make a "stripe" pattern (4 is divisible to 16; it is best when playing with hexagons to limit 4 panels per one color, just like the rainbow hexagon style).

So, really, all you need to do is sew up to 3 pentagons and 10 hexagons, and have the one middle hexagon unite the 3 pentagons. Repeat as usual. You just have to look at where you are going to place your panels, and sew accordingly.

Radiation gobstopper: A little more difficult than the radiation style, but it's actually very easy if you take the time to look into it. What helps me is to find a picture of a radiation gobstopper bag, and place as my wallpaper on my desktop. That's how I learned when I started doing the pattern, but with time it'll be engrained into your mentality with practice.

Remember when I mentioned that you can play with the 16 hexagons, with 4 colors having 4 hexagons per one color? Well, with this pattern, you can around it even more! All you need to do is form 4 hexagons together to make a "Y" formation/radiation formation. Easy as pie!

With the radiation gobstopper, there are two variations: one made with 4 colors in total, and one made with 8 (like the Fearless 55). I find the one with 8 colors far easier, but the 4 colored one has a lot of good potential in the pattern as well. I'll elaborate further; meaning, let's do some math:

Four color radiation gobstopper:
Here is the method:
-12 pentagons, 4 hexagons - 2 colors
-16 hexagons - 2 colors
-per four hexagons of the radiation formation, you will need to complement that pattern on the opposite side (with the same color!) of the 32 with 3 pentagons and 1 hexagon with a radiation formation.
Conclusion: So... with some math, you will need to cut out 3 pentagons and 5 hexagons per one color, as multiplying by 4 will equate to 12 pentagons and 20 hexagons.

Eight color radiation gobstopper/ Fearless 55 pattern:
Here is the method:
-12 pentagons, 4 hexagons - 4 colors
-16 hexagons - 4 colors
-four colors are reserved for hexagons only and the other four are for 3 pentagons per 1 hexagon.
-Just sew out radiation patterns throughout the bag.
Conclusion: With some math, here is what you need to cut out: 1 color = 4 hexagons in four separate color units, whereas the rest is 1 color = 3 pentagons per 1 hexagon, also in four separate color units. (4*4=16, 3*4=12, 4=additional hexagons, thus equating to 20 in total).

Well, I hope this helps. Just remember to sew in "Y" patterns to indicate the radiation pattern(s).
NYFA represent.

HippieTom
Shredaholic

Post by HippieTom » 25 Jul 2008 08:44

awsome thanks dude now i know! you are a god among men thanks soo much :D
Tom Stouffer