What is the origin of the name "modified?"

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

What is the origin of the name "modified?"

Post by C-Fan » 15 Feb 2012 12:31

Where does the name of these forums come from? I know it used to be modified.ca, and then we swithced to modified.in, but where does the term "modified" come from for the forums? Is from shoe modifications? Who came up with the original name?

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 15 Feb 2012 15:45

well the forum server owner is called modevia right?
That's all I got

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Feb 2012 18:23

CIC flurry wrote:well the forum server owner is called modevia right?
That's all I got
Before Modified, there was a much smaller footbag forum in that old BBS style where every thread is visible on one page, and tabs over for each reply post. One of the members, Jer, offered to set up this new fangled "PHP" forum, and we made a slow migration there (to Modified.ca -- we were a lot of Canadian players, including Jer, if I recall, if that had anything to do with the .ca (I think either Brad Kaplan or Mike Hansen later renewed the domain to .in, because .ca was taken after our renewal date?)). He worked for a web hosting company called Modevia. Eventually Jer disappeared from Earth, and nobody ever had his contact information. I'm not even sure if he ever played that much... One of his coworkers at Modevia contacted us at Modified offering to continue to host the forums for free, to honour Jer's arrangement, and that's where we are. I don't think there was ever any connection made or explained other than that to Modevia.

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 16 Feb 2012 08:52

I'm 95% sure I remember Mike Hansen saying it was in reference to our shoes. Could be wrong, it seems like it was 6-7 years ago, right around when I joined.
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog