Audio, then footbag.

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 29 Oct 2008 12:22

thanks for the update bro. i was wondering what was going on with you out there. every so often i would catch your name in alex's blog, which always got me thinking. Glad to hear things are going well now...

edit: sorry 'bout taking the new page :s
A.G.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Oct 2008 17:42

My girlfriend smokes. She smokes outside, but sometime leaves the door open. The worst feeling is coming in home after a long day, and getting a good blast of smokey air.

Gross.

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 08 Dec 2008 16:08

I finished this up last night, and I'm pretty stoked about it.

Just posted a little photo tour of my apartment for friends and family, I'm really beginning to settle in here.

School is still great, I'm still making pretty good money at work, still in a bit of debt, but I'm hoping to be free of that in about 6 months.

Maybe I'll look into finishing my Europe write-up soon.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Dec 2008 17:13

That is ridiculously awesome, Kevin!!

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 08 Dec 2008 18:51

Wow, that just makes Kevin R. even cooler.

Great idea :P
Jay Boychuk

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 14 Dec 2008 16:25

I thought perhaps I would post a commentary on the Day 14 Joulukalenteri video, since a lot of it is probably lost on some of you guys...and because there's some fun stuff you probably wouldn't catch unless I told you. :D

- Squirrel: First shot in Denver on the last day of CSS7. It's Penske's bag. The squirrel almost ran off with it, but we scared it away just in time.

- Anteeksi: "Sorry" in Finnish...Sorry because the footage is over a year old, and I'm a sucker for not getting it out earlier.

- Rory on piano: Rory certainly didn't play that (fooled you!) That was filmed in Erik's living room, and then made to look like a stage or something via a LOAD of frame-by-frame editing in after effects. There's a clip later on that you can compare with to see what the original shot looked like...

Anyway yeah, I was having no luck writing the opening Hackrifice theme, so I took a break to do something fun and get my mind away from this mental block. I found this clip I had of Rory goofing around on the piano, and decided to try writing a piano piece AROUND Rory's movements. At that point, Rory had a pretty good technical and theoretical understanding of music and harmony and so forth, but lacked the kind of technique to produce something truly flowing and musical. (He's totally improving though! He had his first performance last night!) Anyway, so yeah. I wrote some parts of the song according to his hands on the keyboard, created some accent points to match his upper-body movement...etc. It turned out actually a lot better than I thought it would. :D

Oh yeah, and that entire video clip of him on piano is actually being played back in reverse.

So once that was complete, I went back to my original mental block and thought, "Hey, maybe that song I just wrote will work..." I grabbed the motif, played it twice as fast, and it worked great over the existing drum and bass programming I'd already laid down. The Hackrifice Theme was basically finished at that point, I just took some time to craft it into what you hear in the video.

- Vending machine: That was just plain win. :D We tooled that machine pretty good.

- He Man sings: If you STILL haven't seen this, here it is. For whatever reason, this song has become kind of legendary in western canada (mostly thanks to Rory, I'd say.) I totally meant to release the clip of Rory singing in the car LAST YEAR when I released the MFJ4 vid, but just plain forgot. It had to get released at SOME point, and the improv routine clip served as a pretty solid segue. If you didn't notice, you can hear us all singing in the car starting at about 4:46. Totally silly, I know, but good times.

- 6-add game: Yeah, so they each had 3 tries to hit a 6 that had not been hit so far. They keep going back and forth until one of them accumulates a list of tricks that is 3 tricks longer than the other guy. So if you miss one round, the other player has a chance to get one trick ahead of you (assuming they don't miss later on to tie it up...)

- Blurry whirl > spinning whirl > maelstrom > rpt: Pretty self explanatory...he was trying the above combo and hit something harder by accident. It was classic.

- These shorts are shorter than what I'm used to: lol. It's subtle, but he pulls his shorts down a bit at ...13:25 I guess. :)

- mpepo like yumyumpepo: Vasek/Felix beatboxing ripped from the Four Aces vid (I think?) Mads released ages ago. Thanks Mads!

"He just wants your lunch" courtesy of Phyllis (a name I made up) from my CSS7 vid on last year's joulukalenteri.

Shot of Erik in Florida (during the shoot for the vid seen in Erik's signature). If anyone doesn't know what the elbow game is, it's not really worth explaining here, just accept that I scored a point in this clip.

Rory hits in-toebius in one of the few clips I have from Hackrifice 8. Epic seal.

Rory plays piano with regular playback and lighting. Here's your comparison shot.

Andrew kicks the bag to me for the assisted continuation of his string...I like how he teleports when I direct the camera down. :D

- Credits: The only thing I think worth noting here is that you can actually see "Phyllis" saying her famous line. :D

Okay, and now I need to finish Day 24... 8O
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 15 Dec 2008 09:27

Just wanted to give props to you on your latest video. It captured the spirit of a tournament and the fun of a session really nicely. I'm also impressed that you do your own music in it.
qphox wrote:
- 6-add game:

One quick question: isn't alpine barfry (nuclear ducking other butterfly)a 5 add trick? Alpine matador is clearly a 6, but I thought that nuke ss doesn't get pdx add? Minor point, but I was curious if anybody brought that up during the game.

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 15 Dec 2008 12:57

*shrug*

I guess. :D

Yeah, idk, we weren't too strict on adds...no one there really cared about adds anyway, it was just an excuse to see cool tricks. :)

We were also joking a bit about all the x-dex ones, and how they shouldn't count because technically this is a Finnish game.

Anyway, thanks for the props. I'm pretty happy with it too, mainly because it's the first vid for which I'd written all the music. :)
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 26 Dec 2008 12:56

Merry Christmas everyone.

I didn't manage to make it home this year, first time I've ever been away from home for the holidays actually. It's not so bad, took some time away and visited my sister and her family on Vancouver Island.

I know Day 24 was kinda a non-vid, but rest assured I've been working through the rest and want to have the majority of it released by the end of January...(keeping in mind that I'm currently dealing with Finals at the end of January, and also my term projects for each class ALSO due at the end of January. Be patient y'all, if I could do nothing but make vids and play footbag, I WOULD. :D

One of these days I will finish my Europe write-up as well.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 30 Jan 2009 00:59

Yes!

YES YES YES YES YES!

After Effects CS4, you can open HD footage! You will bring me much happiness.

She will bring you ALL happiness.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 30 Jan 2009 05:33

That is awesome news!

Are you going to Berlin? Hope to see you there.

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 30 Jan 2009 10:41

Nope! I'm in school for Audio Engineering, and the program continues straight through the summer. This year is much work less play unfortunately (although the work itself is pretty fun...)
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 30 Jan 2009 11:03

qphox wrote:She will bring you ALL happiness.
I'm pretty sure I heard this in a really dirty movie once :lol: .

Hope you're doing well over there bud!
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 15 Feb 2009 15:44

Anssi has informed me of a video competition at this year's World Championships in Berlin. I'll be there with bells on.

Well, not in person. But the video will be.

Copenhagen 02/08/08: (Actually written 4:43pm 03/08/08)

Last night, Mads said, "Goodnight. See you at...noon sound good?" Today, I woke up at 11:58am. Seems my inner clock has finally adjusted.

The whole Copenhagen crew did a footbag demo at this festival called Kulturhavn, alongside beats supplied by these DJs with their decks attached to a bike. It was sooooo cool, basically a mobile phat beat machine. Mads Neuhard and Lise Thygesen showed up today as well, though only Mads layed. Lise had just returned from a family vacation to Portugal, so I guess she wasn't quite in shred form... I went up to her and said "Lise, right? I'm..." She replied, "Yeah, I know. It's such a pleasure to watch you play...and you're one of my favorite video makers, I can't wait to see what you put out from this trip!" Kinda cool, considering I'd never had any contact with her whatsoever before. She's so nice!

Since it was a demo, it was much more of a performance than it was shred. I've never been very good at that (unlike Rory) but I still hda a ton of fun. I hit some decent stuff too!

- pandemonium x4 (x3? I may have dropped the 4th...)
- symp atomic near symp egg
- long long string to the beat, sealed. Tons of applause! Woo!
- flasy stuff like frigidosis, neck > back > neck, aerial pinch transfer thing...fun!

Anssi hit 59 ducking butterflies. Pretty epic.

Anssi just told me to mention also that Nis took us to see Christiania today. What an interesting area. It's essentially a "free zone" society that exists independently and separate from everything else in Denmark. There's even a large sign as you leave, (you walk under it to get back to the street): "You are now entering the EU."

It was pretty relaxed all over. People just chilling, drinking beer, coke, whatever. Playing music, selling hash, playing board games...etc.

This night was by far the craziest I've had on this trip. I learned that *tomorrow* Trentemoller was playing at Kulturhavn, and I was going to miss it of course. (Ed: He was playing at 3, our train leaves at 1 or something.) I've not really seen any real electronic shows so far, so I was visibly disappointed. I asked the danish players if anything was going on tonight, and as it turns out, the largest electronic music event of the summer was happening THAT NIGHT. wtf. What are the chances?

Anssi and Mads weren't really down for dancing all night, so they headed back to BankERat for a few beers. Lise, Nis and I headed to this party...Kim was coming later with his girl I guess. The ticket cost 200 kroners apparently, so we got some cash, found a random bike for Nis, and arrived in this remote industrial district shortly thereafter.

It was pitch black, already 11:30pm, I couldn't even tell where I was biking. I just followed the rest of the bike lights in front of me and oped I didn't hit anything. The whole district was abandoned warehouses, and it was SUPER creepy. Nis said some buildings have been claimed by the military, some by the homeless, some by anarchists...the building we stopped next to actually had an open door, so we stepped inside for a look.

We were greeted by the smell of fresh carpentry and complete dead silence. It looked as though a film set was being built inside, I guess...it was so eerie. I walked into the middle of teh room, curious as to what they were working on there, and an alarm rang out! Startled, I jumped back over to where Nis and Lise were sitting, and it stopped immediately. For real, it rang for maybe 4 seconds total. Kinda weird security, especially considering the door was wide open, but I was definitely shaking a bit. I really wish I had a camera though, this whole area was so bizarre. One outside facing wall of a warehouse was probably 25 stories tall, and maybe 250, 300 meters long? It was HUGE, I don't know, but it had about 6 tiny windows total along the entire length of the building. Fucking ominous. Lise joked that for SURE someone was watching us from those windows.

The lineup itself was actually still quite far away, but we could hear the pulsing bass the whole walk there...we were getting pretty pumped for the night! The line was separated for [Presale tickets] and [Cash/Cards]. Like most shows I've attended, the "line" is really more of a mass of people crowded around the bottleneck entrance. We waited for about 45 minutes, more and more people gathered, and more and more people grew impatient. I was so compressed from every direction, soon I was able to relax every muscle in my body and remain upright. A few people were talking about just givcing one good push and we're all in (just joking of course)...but then it started to happen. A british fellow right beside me said, "Friend, if people start pushing forward hard, just fucking push forward with them. Don't resist, or you'll fall down, and it won't be good. Just push." People began getting louder, we could see the entrance signs rocking back and forth, more bouncers arrived behind the fence. Then it happened.

One good push. The fence came down.

The security personnel tried their best to hoild back the crwd, but honestly it was maybe 8 or 9 guys VS. 500+ people. The ticket line fell back to a 2nd bottleneck location closer to the party, but the momentum of the crowd carried right through it. At one point, a bouncer grabbed me by the shirt collar and pushed me up against a wall, but I kinda gave him a look like, "Really? I'm not a threat!" He let me go pretty quick, and I slipped under his arm. Fences continued to topple as I was pushed through the second ticket line, and everyone just poured into the party. The staff gave up entirely. The police were not called, and everyone that was in line got into the party free of charge.

Fucked up.

This was definitely the biggest party I've been to. Earlier in the day, Nis had joked that "half of Copenhagen was due to show up" and he certainly wasn't kidding. I think there was probably something like 15-25 thousand people in attendance, 8 stages, and I danced until 6:45am when my legs finally gave out. I was at the minimal techno tent from 3-5am, and by the end of that set, I was sure I was finished.

...except there was some electro starting over at the main stage! SO! I found some untapped energy and got right back into it. It's such a cool feeling when I've got absolutely NOTHING left, and then some track comes on that just forces me to dance hard just a little longer.

My bike was stolen, so unfortunately I had to cab it back to Mads' place...but to be realistic, I'm not sure I would have been able to operate a bicycle anyway.

I got in to Mads' around 8:15am, and I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

This is the night I was looking for.
Last edited by qphox on 05 Nov 2010 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 15 Feb 2009 23:07

cooool story

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 31 Aug 2010 18:45

Worlds was an amazing and emotional experience for me. More so than my first tournament, even. Having been so focused on school and establishing my career, I had not been to a proper event since Hackrifice 10 in 2008, and two years away from the sport was far too long.

When I arrived in my room at the Marriott in Oakland, I sat down on my bed, and smiled. Involuntarily. I was so overwhelmed with contentment, I didn't even know what to do with myself; I just sat there with this massive shit-eating grin on my face for a good 15-20 minutes.

Later in the week, I had the good-fortune to be judging Nick Landes' semi-finals routine. As he landed his spinning blender - his final trick - I felt the same smile locked on my face, but this time with tears welling up as well. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to see Ianek laughing while wiping away some tears of his own. It was easily the best routine I have ever witnessed.

Late one night, I was sitting on the stage down in the convention hall just looking around the room. I just sat there for several minutes, and studied every face in the room. People dancing, shredding, playing foursquare, playing poker, throwing a disc, sleeping out on the floor, carrying a sofa, whatever...and I was almost brought to tears once again. These were some of my closest friends, many of whom I had not seen for years. I missed this so much, and I can't see myself being away for that long ever again.

I love this game.

~~~~~~~~~~

Also:

I have one large career-related goal to accomplish before November, which is made up of several smaller goals. Once that is complete, I can carry forward with footbag shit.

Over the past month, I have captured 95% of all fundamental set and core components, all in 210fps hi-speed. Fundamental meaning EITHER up OR down, incorporating clipper and toe. In this sense, Switch is "fundamental", but so is Symposium Flux.

Go watch Norek's new hi-speed vid, and that is what it will look like. Only badasser. :)
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 01 Sep 2010 03:41

Great entry; it's good to have you back in the sport. Best of luck on your project, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 01 Sep 2010 03:50

:D
♥

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 01 Sep 2010 07:38

it was cool to meet you, kevin! huge props for your work for the sport, can't wait to see it realized. :) that first day outdoor session was tons of fun. something you said during that session has really stuck with me since then--"make sure you have fully caught the trick before trying the next".

good luck with your audio endeavours, good sir.
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 02 Sep 2010 12:34

Kevin inspired both my footbag game and possible career options! HOO-WAH! You rock dude, great meeting you in San Fran. I'm glad you had an amazing time because I did too! :D