Montreal Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 07 Oct 2010 19:03

Nick a few more sessions and you'll be back on top of your game, and boy does it look good, I was very excited to see you with eyes for Zelda again. Thanks for making me sound like I'm not horrible at footbag...hehehe

I'm back on the footysack bandwagon wholeheartedly, gonna get myself to be the best I can be on a continual basis. I'll be back at the gym, doing solo sessions at least 3 times a week on top of any shreds with Nick or Mathieu.
Speaking of which, Mathieu and I will be having a lil' sesh tomorrow at 2pm and it will be intense, I might actually...*gasp*...drill!
Might do wonders for consistency, we'll see!

Hopefully will have some highlights

peace!
James McCullough

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 12 Oct 2010 04:34

Another day another dollar /
Another weekend as a baller.......

I had absolute blast this past weekend, just full of debauchery and unhealthy things, ahhhhh it feels good to be a ganstarr!! Today will mark my first solo shred as I trek over to the community center for some kicks. Speaking of new kicks, I've just been informed of some black mesh lavers (!!!) and I'm STOKED to get a pair!! I pray to all mighty atheismo that they won't run out of stock soon as my stupid paypal transfers take about a million years to complete.

I'm very excited for the coming year for a number of reasons. I have some goals and milestones, some of which I'm sure to get, others are a little bit more iffy, and some are springboards for the explosion of awesomeness known as 2012. If all goes to plan, by the end of next year, I'll have my promotion which lets me work from home, I'll be married, I'll have my beat website up and running (a proper one) with all the new stuff I've been working on, my girl will be tattooing, we'll have some smart investments I've been planning for a while, a pimped out studio, a new car.... man.

Ever go through one of those 25 year slumps? You know, you're life is alright and you're happy but it's not a LIFE; I've finally hit that point where I have a solid future ahead and I eagerly look forward to every day.

Footbag-wise I plan on playing as much as possible in order to be ready to REALLY kickass in 2012. I figure it will take a while to get my form and everything back, and drilling is now an option because my muscle memory is a little hazy from not playing. The entire reason why I can't do a lot of my flip stuff is entirely based on me not bending my support leg.

This is key, because without bending it you can't get a proper clipper going, and you can't do a proper step off of what you do get. The worst part is, you can still catch the clipper there, it just feels weird, and setting off of it becomes a nightmare. Furthermore, you don't build any muscle on your quad there because you're not using it, making the problem even more difficult!

One thing I did a lot while I was biking this summer was focusing on using my left leg to pedal as much as possible. I feel like after a couple months there was huge improvement to the muscle there and now I should be able to get in the habit of doing the clipper properly on that side with a nice bent support leg.

Drill to do: 500X flip clippers. Fuck it, I'll just power through these for a while and be a happier person for it.
Nicholas Laroche

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 12 Oct 2010 07:37

Awesome, Nick. Glad you're excited for footbag and life. You're a lot of fun to watch.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 13 Oct 2010 02:22

Zac Miley wrote:Awesome, Nick. Glad you're excited for footbag and life. You're a lot of fun to watch.
Thanks Zac, appreciate it, especially coming from the monopoly master himself!!

Hey I forgot to mention I got my radio show back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Midas Touch - HH4U
Sundays, EST 8:00pm - 10:00:pm

I'm SOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!! :D

I have a whole host of tunes I'm excited to play, and with my new mic and equipment the sound quality will be much improved! I'm also going to take notes during the week as to conversation topics to make sure that it stays fresh with no dead air. It's easier then ever to listen in too, you literally just go to the website and it'll instantly start streaming.. er, after clicking through the ad it will start :roll:

Also, check out the site, it's starting to look REAL good and it's still under construction! I'll be getting a wicked profile section with pictures videos music and links, so that's going to be awesome!

And if you don't like it, then you can just make like an entrepreneur and mind your own business.

Footbizzle... errr... I didn't kick yesterday, went on a music binge instead. BUT tonight is the night. Any footbaggers in the MTL area reading this, I'll be at Le Centre Gadbois at 4:30pm kicking up a storm.
Nicholas Laroche

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 19 Oct 2010 07:37

Nicholas Laroche

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 20 Oct 2010 03:59

Well shucks.

Too bad there's not a "hang your head in shame" emoticon; I haven't played again since that sesh with James last week. On top of that I'm inflating like Kirby these days, which is not fun. I never feel good about myself when I put some weight on! I could get all righteous at this point and say I'm going to kick more, but eh, we'll see how things turn out. Frankly it's all very mood dependent and I really do dislike my duct-taped lavers. They promote... promiscuity.

Another thing disappointing me was my return on the hh4u radio. I still love music and hosting the show is a blast, but I just don't connect with the 12-17 yr olds listening in. When I was 22 even, fuck I was STILL a snot nosed brat so it worked out. Now that I'm in the late twenties, over the 25 hump, I don't like having to.... I won't say dumb down the show, but lower the maturity level or do things I don't want to just to please the audience. I also play different music then what they want to hear.

Questions that need answers.
Answers that need questions.

EDIT: Ok here's the best way to put it: I had mentally prepared myself and wanted to certain things very much, but now that I'm at a point in my life where I can have them, I've changed as a person and am not sure I want that anymore.
Nicholas Laroche

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 20 Oct 2010 22:06

Laroche wrote:EDIT: Ok here's the best way to put it: I had mentally prepared myself and wanted to certain things very much, but now that I'm at a point in my life where I can have them, I've changed as a person and am not sure I want that anymore.
elaborate, if you wish. i would read

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 21 Oct 2010 07:47

CIC flurry wrote:
Laroche wrote:EDIT: Ok here's the best way to put it: I had mentally prepared myself and wanted to certain things very much, but now that I'm at a point in my life where I can have them, I've changed as a person and am not sure I want that anymore.
elaborate, if you wish. i would read
Well, with the radio show for instance, I've always wanted to have my own studio with great mics and a sick setup for it to be comfortable for guests on my show, with all the proper gear, and excellent speakers. Now that I've finally reached the point in my life where I have all that, after I did my show, I felt really... hollow. Like, what, that's it? After all this struggle I'm not as happy as I was when I was doing it all ghetto-style?

Maybe I'm just the kind of person who like the struggle, the grind so to speak.. I dunno, I often hit goals that I set for myself but once I do hit them, it's always anti-climatic and I lose interest. It affects everything I do, and it's kind of frustrating, because every 5 years or so I switch activity so that I can go through the grind again.

Jack of all trades and master of none....

To go back to the radio example and specifically to elaborate on the "changing as a person", I mean, I started the whole hip-hop music thing at 19-20ish yrs and now, at 26, I don't relate to the kids who are now 15-18 because of the wide gap. I still love the music, but I'm not so intense as I used to be with pushing myself to the limit with beats and radio.

As a teen or early tween I had a simplistic fire for things. Metal music is a good example, I would just be lost in the epicness of certain tracks, and it just comes off as cheesy now. I used to LOVE those rpg games, you know, final fantasy on SNES, and those kind of exploring games, but now, fuck exploring, I want a linear path, I don't care enough to wander aimlessly for half an hour.

It's funny because I clearly remember being so focused and believing I would NEVER change as a person that I figured myself out.

The more you know......
Last edited by Laroche on 27 Oct 2010 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas Laroche

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 26 Oct 2010 03:57

Footbag land is quiet in this part of the world. We're starting to reach that time of year when we see who talks the talk and who rips the walk. Being the flake that I am I haven't played footbag over the past week. My weekend was unusually sinful, and so I vow not to do anything illicit this week and bring my self back up to snuff... er, par.

Music has been going surprisingly well these days, I've had a burst of creativity that's been a joy to channel. No matter what you know about footbag or music or any creative outlet, no matter how many technical thoughts go through your head, etc. you just need to feel it sometimes.

Ya'Digg?

My PayPal funds have cleared the way to purchasing some lavers, but I gotta say I'm hesitating again. Back to the same struggle; I could whine some more but you could just read the last 10-20 of my posts to get an idea of my cycle of interest.... and I don't feel like pedaling right now.
Nicholas Laroche

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 27 Oct 2010 04:54

Nicholas - You rock!

Please continue the style guide, I loved that!

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 01 Nov 2010 04:49

Asmus wrote:Nicholas - You rock!

Please continue the style guide, I loved that!
Hey Asmus, how's life?

I'll continue the style guide in a bit, I've got it on hiatus for the moment. Although it pleases my ego to write about style when I don't even really play that much footbag anymore, I figure it would be pushing the bounds of hypocrisy to vent my thoughts about both sidedness and symmetry... haha though I AM right and it would feel great. Soon, maybe.

Not sure how I feel about Jorden's video being for sale for 15$. The pros are that it surely took a long time to do, the title is DEFINITELY enticing for the hardcore hacker, and I can't condemn when someone tries to make a living doing what they want to do. In fact I respect it quite a bit. On the other hand though, footbag really isn't big enough to think realistically selling poorly-edited small download videos will generate income or "support" the time spent.

Also, although he can definitely back up the cockiness with shred, it's maybe TOO cocky? 100 tricks for 15 bucks... that's 15 cents a trick. Do we get a partial refund for any the tricks?

I think regardless of any of my feelings towards it, what it really boils down to is that digital media has no value. I sold I think about 2 albums online compared to approx. 1700 physical copies, and while a lot of that had to do with the marketing involved, a lot of it came down to people wanting to have something to hold in their hands. I mean, don't you just love the feeling of ripping off that plastic wrapper on your latest new toy you just bought?

I savor the feeling.

I've been diligently doing crunches and other home-type exercises every morning for a couple months, but had stopped for about a week or so (I still did them 2 days of that week though). Today I've restarted and hopefully my weak-willed self will continue to do them ad nauseum.

James got kicked out of the community center we we're gonna make plans to kick in, for the same reasons as usual. Grrr... why is it so damn difficult to find somewhere to kick in Winter?!?! What's with the assholes and jealous people keeping us from kicking?!?! Don't they know who I am I'm the JUGGERNAUT BITCH!!!!!

EDIT: Bad use of language, did a little switcheroo. Thanks Ken!
Nicholas Laroche

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 01 Nov 2010 06:32

I had someone message me about my post, which left me feeling elated that people still read my blog.. er, OUR blog, right Montrealers? I responded, but feel like it's relevant to the discussion so I might as well post it here:
I see your points about Jorden's video, but ultimately it's his prerogative to decide to charge, and decide to charge how much. Personally, I like Sam C and Mathieu's approach, where they ask for donations but leave it to the viewer to decide how much they want to pay.

Regarding the video, I figured my thoughts about his choice to sell it wouldn't be too appropriate in his video thread as it would maybe even influence his sales, which isn't really my intention. I agree with you on the donation system, it feels like a good compromise, though on the flipside the abuse of a donation system is pretty intense. My point is mainly that if it was a DVD with packaging that would be shipped I wouldn't have a problem with it, but there's just something about purely digital content that lowers it's value to me, personally. Maybe because we all know how easy it is to get stuff out there these days, it makes it feel "cheap" because there's no process behind it, I don't know... I just know that I won't pay for a download.
Nicholas Laroche

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 01 Nov 2010 08:54

the flipside to that coin is that 100% of the profits are going to footbag players. that's another reason i like to buy quantums instead of lavers.

if someone was to do a full fledged DVD release, the production costs are much higher. a portion of the cost of the product would be going to the DVD manufacturers, the packaging production & Canada Post / USPS.

this person would have to charge more money for the product & make far less profit.

when i consider what to spend my money on, who ends up having my dollars in their pocket is a big consideration for me. i would vastly prefer for jorden to have my $15 in his pocket, than for jorden to make $5, DVD company makes $5, USPS makes $5, etc. not to mention the tremendous increase in labour time associated with a physical release, which, for all intents & purposes, has no real advantage over digital distribution--in fact, imo, quite the opposite. ( you can always burn your own DVD & digital source is more versatile than burned DVD media )

this type of issue is quite prevalent in gaming atm. Valve's Steam application was a huge step forward for the marketplace, because you can pay a fraction of the price to download a game instead of buying a store box copy.

more importantly, it is also a medium whereby independent developers can actually sell their products without being subjected to ridiculous overhead associated with physical production. this also means that the end user will not be subjected to those overhead costs either, so you get a more efficient distribution system with more profit going straight to the developer, while costing much less.

embrace the internets, lest they destroy you!
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 01 Nov 2010 09:26

Sure Greg I know the advantages and I get it haha, but riddle me this: Have you ever paid for an mp3 online? Or a video file?

Flipside: Ever buy a CD? buy a DVD?
Nicholas Laroche

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 01 Nov 2010 11:33

Greg raises good points about overhead costs, and the money lost to middlemen.

Back in the 1990s, I bought video games in stores. Now, I buy videogames through an online service called Steam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_software). Because they are downloading me the games directly, they don't have to spend money on product packaging, or distribution to stores, taxes, etc. That results in a cheaper price for me, as well as higher percentage of profits for the company.

As for the question: "is it worth $15 to watch 100 footbag tricks," that's more up the consumer. In my opinion, I like the voluntary donation system that Sam King and Mathieu Gauthier have used, where people decide how much they feel comfortable giving.

To answer the question about buying digital content online, my answer is: "yes, I have legally bought music and video games online."

Interesting discussion.

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 02 Nov 2010 05:38

OK so I guess I'm in the minority. Frankly, I'll pay the extra few bucks to get something mailed to me with my name handwritten on the envelope, even if there is just a burn't dvd inside. It makes me feel unimportant as a customer when I'm just automated through a process. It's like a breakfast restaurant, I want the royal carpet treatment, none of this pay first bullshit with coffee refills being extra... I'm still upset over that... :?

In other news, I just got the sad confirmation that Ianek has indeed lost his passion for footbag and is into traveling. Another soldier gone with the wind :(

Being that I have no working credit card (complicated story, it's different for us here in Canadaland, folks), Paypal takes a good 2 weeks to transfer any cashola over. I laundered a chunk of money through there and got my brother in law a wicked recording tool, but kinda went over budget and now I can't buy my lavers right away! ARGH! I shot a few bucks at MC for his help, he'll get them shipped over and I picked up a bag off of him, but the actual shoe purchase is gonna have to wait.

I'm kinda in a shitty mood these days, I feel like my social circle of friends is being shifted and distorted, but I have no one new to hang out with. It's my own fault, really, I hang out at home with Bailey like 100% of the time and we NEVER go out. Maybe I'm turning into someone boring? I wonder... so fuck it, only thing to do is go out and have some fun and meet new people. I wish I had other couples to hang out with, it would work out better that way.

Hey also something cool I saw, if anyone is into funky documentaries, check this one out about Detroit: http://www.palladiumboots.com/exploration/detroit. It's a little hipster-ish but it sparks my imagination and desire to make something of nothing. I feel like Detroit would be the perfect playground as long as you had enough money to take advantage of it.. and the beauty is it wouldn't take THAT much to get something absolutely amazing done there.

Funny how places can call to you sometimes, isn't it?
Nicholas Laroche

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 02 Nov 2010 17:42

I also enjoyed the style tips. You can use paypal without a credit card but to have to pay $4.95 for a gift card at a grocery store or store with gift cards and then the amount that you put on it. (that is what i do but that is in the us)

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 02 Nov 2010 18:04

Dr. Laroche,

Thanks for voicing your opinion. I wasn't sure there was actually any demand for a hard copy. We considered the hard copy, but then we also figured prices would nearly double, and for the same content it just didn't seem likely people would pay it.

At the very least, I'd love to burn a copy, get a case, get a handwritten love letter glossed with vanilla and toss it your way... Should you actually have any interest in buying it, and want a hard copy.

You stylized fox you.
Jay Boychuk

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 03 Nov 2010 04:50

jay7 wrote:Dr. Laroche,

Thanks for voicing your opinion. I wasn't sure there was actually any demand for a hard copy. We considered the hard copy, but then we also figured prices would nearly double, and for the same content it just didn't seem likely people would pay it.

At the very least, I'd love to burn a copy, get a case, get a handwritten love letter glossed with vanilla and toss it your way... Should you actually have any interest in buying it, and want a hard copy.

You stylized fox you.
I really am in the minority when it comes to shipped packages! I'd like to think it's my newfound love and joy for dealing with eBay, but you know what? I think maybe... I'm aging 8O It's true, and while you might not believe it, it might happen to YOU next! That's right, I'm talking about YOU!

OK so I'll do the next part of the Style guide, it's been a while now and I think I know how I'm going to approach it: The same way I'd approach a lady.

With style.

Both Sides.
Nicholas Laroche

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 03 Nov 2010 05:19

Laroche wrote:part of the Style guide, it's been a while now and I think I know how I'm going to approach it: The same way I'd approach a lady.
I thought my coffee tasted funny just now...