Moxie

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 26 Aug 2008 07:52

Wouldja lookit that. Top of the page. You know what that means? Picture time!

Lets see, what kind of pic would look nice up here.

Hm...

Oh!

I know!

Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Anne
Shredaholic

Post by Anne » 26 Aug 2008 11:46

Hey Emily,

Great to see that your blog is successfully used as a footbag-blog :wink:

Kidding.. always find it amusing to look through your blog and find all kinds of weird pictures and comments :D

Hope you're good... I definitely am!!! Although Denmark is getting too cold for me, so I'm starting even more to miss Cali!!!

Really good to see the Stanford guys again, and Jeremy, PT and the other nice net players from GC. Though I still missed you!!! It would have been great to have you at worlds. Some pretty nice level of girls' game there... really got my motivation up again!!

Well.. until next time!! Take care and say hi to everyone!

Hugs.

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 04 Sep 2008 21:41

Thank you for that, Zeke. I expected nothing less from you.

Hey Anne, I miss you! And your drunken ramblings...

I've been playing more net than freestyle recently: Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. 4 games on Wed. and I think 7 today. Plus between playing games I've been having other people power with me.

I had a really great personal moment today. A really high kick sent the bag over from the other side and I called "got it" and I actually got it instead of missing it as I usually do when I call it. That's it. :-)

My spikes are non-existent... I haven't practiced them.

As for freestyle, I'm going to play at least a few times this month ;-) as I'm doing a footbag gig for big bucks on the 12th and I'm going to the Stanford jam on the 23rd to play with the gang + Ryan Mulroney who I've met but never seen play in person.

The gig on the 12th is only for 2 hours and it's going to be at a company picnic with a beach theme so they wanted some hackey sack players. Steve hooked me + a few others up with the deal. :-)
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 04 Sep 2008 22:38

Moxie wrote:I've been playing more net
bad emily

Anne
Shredaholic

Post by Anne » 05 Sep 2008 07:50

Sounds really nice, Emily. Great you're hitting your calls :D

When you see Abram next time, ask him if he has something for you... :wink:

Ryan played a bit yesterday in Copenhagen (he left for LA this morning), but unfortunately I had played earlier on, so I didn't kick with him.. he's still amazing even though he said he hadn't played for a year. He's a really nice guy...

Hope everything besides net and freestyle is good too!

Say hi in SC.

Hugs

pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 06 Sep 2008 05:35

Ok, so I thought your little link in your signature would direct me to your footblog like everyone else, but I should have known better with you. Don't tell my mom! She'll freak! :P Just wanted to say thanks.
Chrissy Fryer

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 06 Sep 2008 09:31

NUUU Don't play net! You need to freestyle :) or at least kick with me MOAR! I learned Illusions because of you! Thus giving birth to my Bubba, then Eggbeater!

Then when I thought I couldn't learn anything more! You teach me Bubbabeater :)

I will come down for a bunch more Santa Cruz sessions :) just have to remind when.

Can't wait to kick with you at the gig(I managed to find a shirt from a friend I think). Not to mention kicking at Stanford! Can you hear the intensity from Ryan! -feels more spoiled day after day-
Look a BLOG! That I never update
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=16244

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 06 Sep 2008 10:28

:-) Aww, that's nice Eric. And I'd love it if you could come over for some sessions once we have regular kicks in town again.

Don't worry; just when I was talking about not playing freestyle, Brian (Brian Bear) text messaged me yesterday saying that he's in town and asking me if I wanted to play. I said I'd rather go bowling, but he insisted on freestyle. :P We might go bowling on Tuesday b/c that's the cheap day.

We hadn't played in a really long time so it was exciting to see his new string length and all of his new tricks. It showed that Brian had worked hard to clean up his style. He wanted to work on a few specific tricks and asked for some suggestions. Afterwards he said that I'm a "tower of footbag knowledge." :lol: I said that I just like to hear the sound of my own voice and that I like telling people what to do. People are fooled by that combination all the time, thinking that I'm trying to be helpful. Either way he said I gave helpful tips, which made me feel really good.

I didn't work on anything specific; I was just trying to just keep the bag up most of the time. I like that I'm at the point where if I stop for a while and start again I can still step. I remember that being a frustrating thing to lose and have to relearn. I'll probably play some on Monday and Wednesday too.

And Chrissy, I'm so telling your mom. :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCAvxLByi8[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VdNcCcweL0[/youtube]
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 06 Sep 2008 11:42

Great vids. It's been so long since I've been able to admire a journalist.

peterh
Hack Fiend

Post by peterh » 06 Sep 2008 16:05

Two things Emily.

1: I too want a pedo beard with rapist glasses, and that hat that reminds me of Wisconsin. I am trading in my car for WHITE Serial Killer van. Now the chicks are totally going to dig me.

2. Wow that was the first time I could look at the news and smile. Really I stopped reading and watching the news because of that. I remember the lead story at one point was "If Tyra Banks had gained weight or not" over something going on in Iraq (I never found out because I was too disgusted to watch). Truly inspiring and just uplifting. I was glad she nearly snapped, because I think that is the way how a lot of us feel.

Ok one more thing.

Anyways we should go bowling! It is what all those Green Bay kids did when I lived there when there was nothing to do! So you're from Illinois, and we should gather people up as a tribute to all those awesome Wichicagson (Wisconsin + Chicago) Footbaggers :) Yeah?
Peter Holoien
SUFC

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 06 Sep 2008 22:11

AH CRAP! I didn't know I was logged in as Peter >< yeah It was me. Peter is not from Wisconsin.

-massive fail-
Look a BLOG! That I never update
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=16244

Anne
Shredaholic

Post by Anne » 07 Sep 2008 08:41

Emily: I said that I just like to hear the sound of my own voice and that I like telling people what to do.

So THAT'S what it's all about!!!! Hm.. now I don't know if I'm so thrilled any longer by all the things you've taught me... or... on a second thought, I guess that's just a win win situation!! Keep up the good work listening to yourself and telling others what to do!!

:D

PS. Still haven't figured out how to quote people and I feel really stupid about that, so don't tell anyone :wink:

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 09 Sep 2008 10:59

I wondered when Peter made it over to Wisconsin. :-P

This Friday I'm going to be in the area, so after the footbag gig should we go bowling? Brian will be over there, and he's always down. Eric, you'd be in charge of inviting the others.

I kicked with Brian again yesterday. I lasted a little longer than I had the previous session when I was still all gross and coughy from being sick at the beginning of last week. Anyway, I hit a few torques for the first time in how long. Brian got the hang of them a little better and hit a bunch. And once out of pendulum. :-)

I'm going to Oakland on Saturday for net with Chaos.

And Anne, I'm so going to tell everyone that you don't know how to quote.

Emily Kulczyk

pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 09 Sep 2008 13:07

Look at you, you little tattle-teller. Geez!
Chrissy Fryer

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 10 Sep 2008 23:15

I'm going to Oakland on Saturday for net with Chaos.
aww, you should come to steve's for freestyle!!! well, at least you'll be around friday to go bowling and such. see ya then!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 11 Sep 2008 11:04

Cutest username ever.

I'm only going because the e-vite specifically said "Footbag Practice-Open Session" and "We will do some Pro-Am or singles for the first 2 hours then some winners doubles court." Normally they are too serious and hard-core for beginners like me. Plus, I'll already be half-way there.

Playing random games of net is so fun to me. It feels satisfying to have a start and an end, it's fun to have a partner and switch it up next time to play with someone else*, and it's fun to have unexpected things happen.

Sage, EJ, Fletch and I played three games yesterday before it was too dark and buggy to continue. I had wanted to get at least one more session in before Saturday and maybe practice stuff that I'm terrible with, but instead of a good practice session it was the worst playing I've done in a long time. There it goes again, "I got it!" ... horrible miss. :lol: And I missed a lot of easy stuff that I would have been able to get a week ago. :? And I can't find my net bags to practice with.

Complaaiiiiiiin. :-)

At least I'll freestyle tomorrow.

*I think I feel this way more right now because I feel bad for someone who has to play two games with me in a row. :P

Unrelated, from this website:
AN OPEN LETTER
TO THE LEADER
OF THE ANT NATION
RESIDING IN MY BATHROOM.

July 20, 2005

Dear Sir or Madam,

We've been warring for nearly a year now. Although my side hasn't lost a single life, let me be the first to say it: it is time to put a stop to the fighting.

I've emptied bottles of anti-ant spray and tolerated the resulting offensive odor. I've laid out bait-style poisons, which are specifically designed to trick your populace into carrying fatal toxins to your very own door, but your people consistently evade them. Eventually they organize parades that march directly around the deadly morsels in mockery of my attempts. I admit, the hyperintelligence of your military leaders is baffling. Thus, I've resorted to a multi-pronged and less obvious attack strategy: I've maintained tidiness, I've swatted at your troops with newspapers, I've smashed them one by one with my mighty thumbs, I've carpet-bombed them with Windex, I've blown them out the window with my breath of fire as they crawled across the neighboring tiles. I've even left mass graves open so that you might recognize what devastating havoc I'm capable of delivering.

Still, you send recon teams out. I spot them regularly, sometimes a team of two or three, sometimes a lone wolf crawling across the floor or the shower walls.

The leader of such a tenacious tribe must be both very proud and very wise. It is my sincere hope that you can set aside your pride and exercise your wisdom to the fullest extent for the purposes of this conversation. The cycle of violence can't continue. You must withdraw every last one of your kind from my apartment.

It's not fair. I pay rent. Don't give me any crap about being indigenous. It's not about that. The comparisons you will surely draw upon are nonsensical and you know it. You are ants. Don't make this something it's not. Have some couth.

Do not take my suggestion of peace as a sign of weakness. If you don't vacate the premises, I will continue to crush you and your soldiers on sight, without mercy or hesitation. My heart is remorseless at the thought of the lives I've destroyed and the families I've broken.

Annoyance is the driving force behind my hope of armistice. I grow tired of spotting your spies creeping around on the tiled shower walls as I stand in the buff. The endless removal of your dead after battle wears on my nerves. You make me late some mornings because I get lost in thought about our clash.

But my biggest frustration, the reason I am graying, lies in the question of purpose. Why do you want to be in my bathroom? What do you seek? There is no food there! Not a morsel. Were you to attack my kitchen, attempt a coup there, I would kill you with the same abandon, but I might be more understanding of your plight. Maybe I would be quicker to draft a solution to win the peace. Perhaps I would take to eating out more often, despite my ongoing fiscal crisis. As the situation is, though, there's not much I can do. I need to habitually bathe. I'm unmovable on this matter. It's not really even my choice.

Frankly, for several months I assumed I was dealing with madmen. But you must have some goal; your efforts surely have a purpose. When your troops tread across these countertops and tiles, they are consistently killed. Even a loony would realize that by now. Your ants are dying for something. Please, pray tell, what is it? Perhaps I will willingly surrender it to you if you help me to understand.

I'm reaching out here. Let's put an end to this.

Sincerely,

Joshua W. Jackson
President of the Bathroom

Emily Kulczyk

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 09 Oct 2008 19:21

It only took me two years to stop making myself play freestyle after I knew I wanted to be done with it.

Don't worry, I haven't been playing net recently either.

I started biking to/from school. At first I biked 11 days in a row, which is good for me since I hadn't been biking at all and it's a little more than a 10 mile round trip. I've changed to biking more like every other day which feels good.

I'm going to kick the next time I can with Brian, Abram, Jon and Dustin here in town. I figure since I was never really happy with the way I played it won't be so bad to be rusty. :-D

I’m a T.A. for an anthropology class this quarter. It’s great because for the first time my indirect questions and sideways ways of thinking are serving a purpose and helping people. Sigh a breath of relief, David; you’re off the hook for a while.

I went to hang out with Tim a few days ago and a straight up Dave-Chapelle-as-a-crackhead look alike looked like he wanted to walk in front of my car while I was stopped at a red light. I waved to let him go and he yelled for me to just move up (closer to the car ahead of me) instead. I didn't move my car because then I'd be right next to him, but when the light turned green and I started to drive he threw something (rock? quarter?) at my car. At first I was pissed, but then I felt a kind of warm fuzzy feeling since it reminded me of my days in Chicago. Jesus, I don't know how I survived my younger self. The only reason I believe I did the things I did is that I remember it; but it doesn’t feel like me anymore. I can’t even imagine what it will feel like when I’m thinking about my life at age seventy.

NWF:
Charlie
Someone reading this?

Emily Kulczyk

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 10 Oct 2008 10:56

This beardo did the same thing to me 2.5 weeks ago. Like "come on, move up, my beard won't eat you even though it's 2 feet long and I'm standing in the middle of the desolate ass road next to your car."

Anne
Shredaholic

Post by Anne » 18 Oct 2008 12:09

Hey Emily,

Thanks so much for your post on the Danish forum - I was surprised to see you in there!!! Thanks!

It's actually the weekend of the Danish Championships right now... I've done pretty good considering the fact that I haven't played for about 3 weeks (work and a bad knee). I hit a couple of combos in sick 3 (schmoe>mirage>dimwalk and I think plo>magellan>dimwalk (not sure)). And I actually made it to the finals tomorrow (has to be said though, that 3-4 of the really good players haven't been able to make it this year). It's pretty ok, though.

Right now I'm really beat, so I've gone home even though a lot of the others are out partying.

I really hope you're doing well.

(and all of a sudden your blog has turned into personal letters and updates on me!!!)

Take care!

Anne

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 09 Nov 2008 18:37

I bought a 320GB hard drive because my 60GB hard drive was full. I'm amazed at how low the prices are compared to just a few years ago. As soon as I got it all installed, I opened SoulSeek and went crazy.

The 8 minute Eric Prydz Call On Me makes me want to dance like no other song does. Instead of dancing I threw on my lavers and kicked for a while in my room. Next on the playlist was Michael Jackson Pretty Young Thing and You Rock My World.

And then I danced.

Emily Kulczyk