Moxie

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 10 Nov 2008 15:31

Haha, awesome! I always end up dancing a little when shredding as well cause I listen to dance music a lot and I get really into it...

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

LEGOMAN
Egyptian Footgod

Post by LEGOMAN » 15 Nov 2008 20:30

remember at the pj party where i won where the wild thing are?

i still have that book on my book shelf. good times
People that like LEGOMAN - 10
People that hate LEGOMAN - 1000
LEGOMAN´s posts - Priceless

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 15 Nov 2008 22:00

Nice. :-) I still feel bad about how it wasn't actually planned out, and how Sunny changed clothes and walked out just in time for it to be over. :-(

I played footbag on Thursday and today.

Thursday there were 3 new people (who might or might not be back) as well as Dustin and Abram, and today Dustin's girlfriend Celeste and two random guys played as well as Dustin, Abram and BrianBear. Brian should put another video out soon. I didn't play much on either day because I was helping the newer people (or I was helping the newer people so I didn't have to play as much? :P) but it was fun.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 16 Nov 2008 15:30

Moxie wrote:...or I was helping the newer people so I didn't have to play as much? :P) but it was fun.

I don't know if that deserves a happy face.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

colefieldhouse22
BSOS Beast

Post by colefieldhouse22 » 19 Nov 2008 10:13

Moxie wrote: I didn't play much on either day because I was helping the newer people (or I was helping the newer people so I didn't have to play as much? :P) but it was fun.
You rock at teaching footbag. You are definitely one of the best footbag teachers I have had. It's awesome that you take the time to help out other people. Many experienced players don't spend enough time helping and encouraging novice players.
Adrienne Craver

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 19 Nov 2008 10:52

Thanks Age. :-)

And to be fair, Reid, that's a tongue sticking out, not a smile. :P

A small group of high school kids found our club on .org and they're planning to come from over the hill to kick with us. They met up with Chaos first and tried some net, but they think freestyle is really what they're interested in. I think it's extra cool that they made the effort of going to Oakland, didn't find what they wanted, and are not going to drive in the opposite direction to kick with us. It's funny that this is the year that people are coming out of the woodwork to try footbag. 3 new groups (or pairs) of guys in one 8 days.

In other news, the job market sucks hard (here at least). I was working in a shop that went out of business (thanks economy). For every job I've applied to from sites like craigslist, they've had at least 20-50 other people apply for the same job. This includes office jobs, babysitting, and every other type of job that I could do. It's pretty impressive. The only reason it's SO difficult is that I'm still in school so I can't take a full time job.

I'm thinking about career stuff seriously for the first time in my life. I always figured that I would get a degree and just get a job. That's still a possibility, but now I'm considering grad school too, which I never would have been willing to consider before.

Jello Pudding:
Pistachio = Yes!!!
Oreos & Cream = NO
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 20 Nov 2008 23:50

Session today with Abram, Dustin, Cecile and FIVE other guys. Two of the five were there last week for the first time, and the other three were new to us. This is pretty cool. I think Abram was in teaching heaven. :-D

I had a few long (for me) runs (which are still short), and a school friend walked by during my better one and saw me playing for the first time. When the session was ending I still felt like kicking. Maybe it was that Michael Jackson was playing. Maybe it was the sugar from the ice cream I ate just before and during the session. Footbag is feeling fun and I'm enjoying myself.

Shoot, I need to start playing 4-square before NYJ. I'm out of practice.

Emily Kulczyk

full nelson
8-Bit Ninja

Post by full nelson » 21 Nov 2008 10:52

Sugar? Please...

:arrow: MJ
Brad

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 24 Nov 2008 01:42

Moxie wrote:Footbag is feeling fun and I'm enjoying myself.
Rock on!

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

colefieldhouse22
BSOS Beast

Post by colefieldhouse22 » 29 Nov 2008 10:42

If the fact that I am awesome isn't enough to make you come visit DC, perhaps a clothing stores that is dedicated to the sale of alpaca clothing and accessories will be...

http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=UTF ... 8716695669
Adrienne Craver

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 02 Dec 2008 20:12

If I had a hall of fame for posts in my blog, that one would definitely be up there if not the winner. :lol::D

I played footbag today and it was kinda horrible. I'll play again on Thursday; it will hopefully be more fun.

In other news, I had a really satisfying experience on my drive home late last night. I was at a stop light and my light turned green. A pickup truck coming from the left blew the red light and the red light at the next intersection. I made my turn and was driving (far) behind the pickup. A cop made a u-turn to head the same way as we were going, and I thought he saw the guy run the second light, but no. I flashed my lights at the cop and got next to him and waved for him to pull over. Yes, I pulled a cop over. He followed me into a parking lot and I told him that the light colored pickup just blew through two red lights, and he said he'd go find the person.

I'm a tattle tale :!:

I call in drunk drivers too. I would deserve to be called in too if I were driving recklessly.

Emily Kulczyk

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 02 Dec 2008 20:59

I watched a "current events" tv show last night that claimed that running red lights was like playing Russian roulette because of all the innocent people you put at risk. I'm not convinced the "journalists" in question know what Russian roulette is. But yeah, Good Job.

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 04 Dec 2008 20:20

Yeah that's a nice one.

Freestyled today. It was fine, not super, but I don't expect that because I don't put in enough time and energy to have super sessions. The session ended a little earlier than expected because the power on campus went out and we were left completely in the dark.

I'll be back in Illinois in 12 days.

Another fun story. I'll tell the short version if I can (edit: nope, that one didn’t happen):

I was on the city bus on my way home. There were three young looking (14 or 15 years old?) guys seated in the middle of the bus. They were really obnoxious. First they were talking about getting high, then talking about getting drunk, then one of them asked another where his bottle of bourbon is. "It's in my room." "It had better be, otherwise you're going to have to smack your mom around."

I've heard people saying this sort of thing in a completely joking (making fun of people who would say that sort of joke), but I think these kids were just trying to assert and display male dominance or some crap.

Later on they were still being idiots, and also using foul language right next to a really sweet old lady. I pick my battles, and yelling at some young jerkish guys on the bus for using bad language in front of an old lady isn't one of those battles. They did some other stuff but this short story is going to be long enough as it is.

A stop or so later a man in his 30's and a woman in her early 40's get on the bus. I noticed them because they both had canes and injured feet or legs. When they sat down and started to talk, I noticed a tattoo on the man's neck. It was of the mark left after a vampire bites someone in a movie. It wasn't bad, but not quite my taste. A bit later I heard one of the kids say, "Nice fangs," and all three laughed. A few minutes later it was said again but louder. The kid obviously wanted the guy to hear him. The next time the kid said "fangs are gay" and tattoo guy exploded yelling at them that no one should talk him that way. The kids claimed not to have said anything. He yelled for a second longer and since we were at a stop the bus driver came back and told both parties to be quiet and that they were to stop talking to each other.

I was upset at myself for not saying something before the guy had to say something for himself. Yeah, it was the first time they called him anything bad directly, but it was clear that they were trying to mess with him and piss him off. I was ready this time. There were a few minutes with no loud talking, just the kids giggling to themselves, then quietly I heard nothing but the word, "Faggot." I yelled "HEY" really loudly and suddenly found myself standing, with no idea that I had moved. The kids looked completely shocked and freaked out. Only an instant went by but then in my head I thought to myself, "shit, I have to keep talking." I continued yelling, "You cannot talk to people that way!" Then I said something else that I can't even remember; it was just words shooting out of my mouth. Yeah, looking back, it wasn't powerful wording or anything, but it was yelled at them by a stranger who had not been involved in the situation so it had more shock to it. The tattoo guy started yelling at the kids and stood up. I stood up and got between them because I was worried that the guy would come at one of the kids. By this time the bus driver had pulled the bus over on the side of the street and had walked back to the action. The kids started arguing with him, the tattoo guy started speaking again, and it turned into a mess of people yelling. The kids got up to get off of the bus, and after getting out one of them hit a window really hard with his hand while yelling "Fucking faggot!" The window noise was surprising and unfortunately freaked out the sweet old lady who had been in the middle of the yelling.

I was really upset for letting these jerks be so awful in a closed space even before they called the guy or his tattoo gay. Although I wouldn't have wished for more conflict, I was really glad that I had the opportunity to yell (really loudly :twisted:) at the boys and also to stand up for the guy who had done nothing to deserve that. After the bus was moving again the tattoo guy said that even though he is gay he doesn't deserve to be treated like that. He also said he'd kick the kids' asses if he ever saw them again, and asked "how will they feel when they get beat up by a gay guy?'" ...but that's not as noble as the way I'd like to remember him.

He and his friend thanked me a few times for saying something. I said I was sorry that I hadn't said something sooner and that I was sorry it happened to him. I'm also sorry that I was the only other person on the whole bus who said anything. It's kind of awful to think about, really.

When I was getting off the bus I thanked the driver for keeping calm and pulling over. I said I was sorry they hit his bus, too. :lol: He appreciated it.

I don't want to be a cop or a social worker or anything like that, but I really do want to help stop bad things I see happen and help people whenever I get the chance.

Me, me, me… but it’s my blog, so I’m allowed to do that.

Emily Kulczyk

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 05 Dec 2008 04:25

Moxie wrote: I don't want to be a cop or a social worker or anything like that, but I really do want to help stop bad things I see happen and help people whenever I get the chance.
^^ Does this mean you'll be flying around the city fighting no do gooders? If so can I make a Mox cave and be your sidekick Boy Wonder? I think its epic that you stood up for something. So often people don't do anything about it, or just pretend to ignore it.

But in cynical self in me says they're just going to do it again. >> Though that evil positive voice inside says at least someone did something.

Moxie wrote: Me, me, me… but it’s my blog, so I’m allowed to do that.
-best singing voice possible-
Its your blog and you can cry if you want to <3
Look a BLOG! That I never update
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=16244

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 05 Dec 2008 07:28

pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 08 Dec 2008 13:03

That story reminds me of the time my sister and I were playing around at a park. These immature boys were making fun of her freak attire, and she snapped on them. She said something like, "You better sleep with your eyes open tonight cuz blah blah blah!" Their mouths dropped and they turned around and went away in silence. It was awesome.

Way to stick up for some people, Emily. I don't know if I'd of done the same except maybe glare at them.
Chrissy Fryer

gMoney
Think Pink

Post by gMoney » 06 Jan 2009 21:35

Cool story. It's kind of inspiring, too. There aren't enough people out there that are brave enough to stand up for others like that.

By the way, your signature is awesome :)
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 09 Jan 2009 02:21

Thanks. :-)

I started a Picasa account since several other people on here have posted links recently. I was a Flickr person but after 5 minutes on Picasa I'm a convert. Oh man, it's soooo cooooool.

I only have a few NYJ pictures on there because I just didn't take that many. I started right as the event was ending on the last day. Not really good planning, but I was enjoying just appreciating the moment during the rest of the event. I have a hard time remembering to do that when I have a camera in my hand, but then I end up with a bunch of pictures that bring back great memories. Either way, what's done is done. NYJ was, no surprise, the best time of my year again. It does sound kind of pathetic put that way, but it's like being at a theme park for a whole weekend with my favorite people. So much fun. So comfortable and silly.

I'm not going to tell stories, even though the soccer memory is so fun to relive. I don't know if I've ever laughed that hard for so long. :-) Here are some random memories from the weekend:

-"Would you rather...?" Genital ears, no question.
-Weather temps, -24 (with windchill) the the 50's
-Cher
-Light puppetry/slumber party
-General shit talking
-Clubbing, free drinks, witnessing the club master have his night
-Badminton, basketball, obstacle course, soccer
-Zeke, Kamil
-I was able to meet up with the father and son that I've seen there every year for the last four or so years. It was especially nice because for the first time, the son was able to do toe stalls and really controlled kicks. The dad has been able to do both for a while, but it took losing 30 lbs for the son to be able to get this stuff down. They only stayed for a little bit, but it's so nice to have that little reconnect each year.
-Grabbin some grabtits
-Chit-chatting with Waylon
-Zach and Henry
-Shopping with Mike and Ken
-Nutty Bars
-Brian Bear
-Witnessing Henry's no-flinch takra ball to the face hit, what a pro
-Joining a circle with Evan, Ben and .... ?, remembering exactly what it felt like to join a circle with fairly good players when I first started. Wow, I never thought I'd feel that way again. :lol:
-Being walked in on by a middle aged dad while in the womens' sauna
-Nathan, Mike, Tom
-I was in doubt that one of the classic NYJ activities would take place, but they proved me wrong. I witnessed it: this year's themed objects were bagels, bananas, socks, but no underwear
-Bagel sculpture
-Orange is the new pink; Rinaldo is the new Vernon
-Chinese food (great planning) + bubble tea + meeting Amy's friend (edit:) (and her man) on the way back
-Car ride with Tom. He likes turtles, or at least posing like them on sewer grates
-Figuring out that it's true, I really have no interest in Scrabble
-Witnessing crotchfire extreme. You'd think for the last time, but I have my doubts...
-Reile's helped with closure to NYJ, long goodbyes helped with leaving without embarrassing myself
-Nathan's; Punching in the night

After Mike was crazily nice enough to drop me off at the airport, I went to New Orleans. Fletch picked me up from the airport, and later that night we went out. Because of my partying on New Year's Eve Eve, I wanted to have nothing to do with partying on New Year's Eve itself, which was totally okay by me. I had never been to a big public NY Eve thing where a ball dropped as everyone counted down. I was really happy about getting to hang out with Rob Creel while I was there. OOhhh, I almost saw Dolly Parton in a bar on NY Eve but the timing didn't work. Since then I've had this song stuck in my head. It's funny, too, because when I searched for it the first video that came up was this one, which might have been the tv special I watched the first time I heard of her. Anyway...
Last edited by Moxie on 09 Jan 2009 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

Emily Kulczyk

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 09 Jan 2009 08:29

Ah crotchfire extreme. I still haven't heard a status update from the scrotal neighborhood on Nathan.
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Anne
Shredaholic

Post by Anne » 10 Jan 2009 05:31

Oooowww mmaaaannn you just made me miss the states SOOOOOO much with that picassa album!!!! You bastard :wink:

I'm happy though, that although you don't know it yet, I know that soon enough you'll start planning your trip to wordls in Berlin, and a trip to copenhagen on the way there... :wink:

MISS YOU!