Whirl

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 30 Jun 2007 14:00

no, i know, i was just saying that i need help too!
Ben Rea

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 01 Jul 2007 07:08

I've got a lot to comment on so I'll put it together and edit this post when I get home tonight. Get ready for a grilling. :wink:
Alan Underhill

http://www.myspace.com/pyroman924

"The more you drop, the better you get." -Ben Rinowski

Psilocybe
Fearless

Post by Psilocybe » 02 Jul 2007 11:35

I agree with Dat. When you set from a toe, do you notice that you support leg also hops? (If not, it should) In fact, I would guess that when I set from toe at least half the actual power comes from the support leg.

Well, the same should be with clipper. Really concentrate on hopping with your support leg the same time you set. Its important. Your sets will be higher, straighter up, and faster.

Nice egg. I still cant do those.

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 04 Jul 2007 11:16

Ok Ben. Sorry for the wait. Been swamped with bullshit but here you go man. Whirl tips based off of your video:

:arrow: You NEED to keep that set lower. Remember my video, low set low set. It makes it so your leg doesn't have to travel as much distance between the bag and the ground in both direction, if that makes sense.

:arrow: Start the dexterity a LOT sooner. You seem to be waiting for it to peek. Start the dexterity as soon as you plant that set foot, and plant it fast mind you. Not rediculously fast of course but fast enough so you at least START the dexterity on the uptime.

:arrow: Clipper form. A lot of your problem is your Clipper form. When you go into a Clipper, you don't really hop into it which, in my personal opinion, helps enormously when setting and getting the set foot planted. You need to drill and tweak your Clipper hop more man.

:arrow: I'm not really noticing this too much however, you do need to make sure you stay over the bag more. twist those hips and shoulders man. This will make the Clipper at the end so much easier to place.

Those are the main detrimental things I see about your Whirls man. You were damn close a few times though. Especially at 28 seconds in. But yeah, those are just my tips. I hope you try them out man, I think they will make all the difference. 8)
Alan Underhill

http://www.myspace.com/pyroman924

"The more you drop, the better you get." -Ben Rinowski

Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 23 Jul 2007 15:45

Pyroman924 wrote:Ok Ben...
Thanks for the advice!

I have had whirl on my right side for a while but my left side never quite got it. After having several of the best players I know look at it the best advice I got was to air shred the motion from C-fan.

I have not been trying this trick uptime at all. It is laziness tied directly to the support leg being my left. Your advice and Anz's gave me some great stuff to think about, that may unlock some of the weakness in my stepping sets as well.

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 28 Jan 2008 13:16

Alright - search function success - anyway: I'm having the same problem. Whenever I drill whirls my knees hurt the next day, like they've been turned into rubber and stretched too far.

I do point my toe to lead the leg through the move, but I don't point it so far that the top of my foot is an extension of the line of my shin. I set low - a couple inches above the knee I think - and more or less straight up. I start the dex peaktime but complete downtime. I don't think I'm stomping hard when I plant the dexing leg. But I am catching the bag again very low & late & I need better control of the catch. Not sure what else to say...

So, how did whirl become pain free for you?

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Jan 2008 14:23

By switching to reverse whirls.

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 28 Jan 2008 19:31

set straight up, fairly close to your support leg, a little less than knee high. turn your hip into the dex so that you can extend the dexing leg in a way that doesnt twist your knee in an unnatural direction at all, with your toes pointed. your knee is like a hinge, it only works best when you move it straight up and down. so first extend the dexing leg underneath the bag and then let the bag fall down behind it, while pulling your calf back in another smooth, straight motion that doesnt put any sideways motion on your leg in the least, especially around the time of the landing.
if you feel like your calf is twisting, or whipping in the least, you could potentially be damaging your joints/cartilage.

doing a whirl, or any move with a whirl dex, with improper form/technique even a SINLGE time can result in a serious, potentially career-ending injury.

i have never had any pain from doing any move with a whirling dex in it, and i love all moves involving whirls and blenders. almost 2 months ago, i was working on hitting double blender more smoothly and consistantly when it felt like i dislocated my knee on a particularly strenuous attempt. on this attempt i whipped my knee as quickly as i could, paying more attention to getting around the bag than i was on making sure my knee was extending correctly and not twisting. instantly i fell to the ground in severe pain. i thought i had dislocated my knee. a week and 3 xrays later they told me i had badly strained or potentially torn my meniscus (cartilage) on the left side of my knee. i've had to wear a brace for over a month, i couldnt even kick the bag for most of that time and at this point, having reinjured myself a month after the initial injury, i cant do any in-out or whirling dexes on that side probably for another 3 weeks to a month.

do NOT make the same mistake i did.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 29 Jan 2008 19:44

oh man this is nuts I was realizing I'm having recurring whirl pain just today! :lol: so yeah thanks for the tips. I think I'll take a break from them. Usually I try to mess with my whirl technique a number of times each session to get it just right, and I think I am, but always towards the end of the day I'll go and do a pdx whirl and blow my knee apart.

I'll take it more seriously now more than ever since I think something must be off.
Pat Thomsen
Syracuse, New York - The connecting point to footbaggers in the NE and Canada. We make pancakes and air conditioners.

zach4th
Fearless

Post by zach4th » 30 Jan 2008 04:06

Erik Chan wrote:By switching to reverse whirls.

Listen to Erik!!
Zach Forth

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 30 Jan 2008 09:52

just do them correctly! watch how other people do them. I was one of the people who was convinced that whirls would ruin my knees, and now i can do them with no pain because i use proper form. just tweak the way you do them to make them painless and easy. practice.
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

stephanos
Hack Fiend

Post by stephanos » 28 May 2008 12:34

Whats better about reverse whirls? i can do reverse whirl bsos and i can only do whirl on one side. also i can do dyno on both but cant do blender at all. why is reverse easier/better, at least for me?
zito ellas
Stephanos Salzman

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 28 May 2008 13:16

Because reverse whirl is not a full dex. Blender is harder because it's a really weird trick to get your head around, while dyno is just like over and scoop.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 29 May 2008 09:21

for you :wink:
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 29 May 2008 13:45

Well, I don't know anyone who thinks blender is easier to hit. In the beginning at least.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 30 May 2008 10:33

i dunno blender has always been a lot easier, even in the beginning. i think i hit blender bs before dyno on one side. i dunno why but the jerky motion of blender (well, i just mean the jerk stop at the point of stall) makes it easier for me to stall the bag than the smooth scoopy motion of dyno. in fact even the dexing motion has pretty much always been more natural motion for me. i dunno. :P
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 30 May 2008 10:55

I hate you for disagreeing with me!!!! :P

Can you do reverse whirls?

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 30 May 2008 11:21

and i love you for being so seksay.

yeah, i can do rev. whirls. i dont remember which of the two i hit first. i think i hit whirl first, but it couldve been either one with whirl. like i've hit reverse gig on one side i believe. but comparing just whirl and rev whirl whirl definitely feels less awkward. i prefer the straighten knee>flex knee of whirl over the "pull up to flex then straighten over the bag" which is kind of how i do my whirls. or at least thats how i MENTALLY do them, ya know?
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

Pancake Flogger
Multidex Master

Post by Pancake Flogger » 30 May 2008 11:28

I though rev whirls were easier until I found out I was doing weird looking same-side butterflies. Now I'm not sure if I could do a reverse whirl at all.
Danny Murphy
Working On: Stepping, painless whirls?

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 31 May 2008 07:23

Pancake Flogger wrote:I though rev whirls were easier until I found out I was doing weird looking same-side butterflies. Now I'm not sure if I could do a reverse whirl at all.
yes! i forgot that was actually completely true for me as well. in fact, i started a thread about it like a few weeks after i joined modified. lemme find it...

http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... highlight= :lol:
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE