Osis

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 12 Dec 2009 15:01

I would not try "freezing" the bag. Try first doing the osis to a same side clipper, and make sure when you do the clipper you are focusing on getting the bag right where you want it for the clipper. Osis is done in three parts. Crank> catch and turn> set. So you try to flatten out your foot as much as you can while looking past your shoulder to make sure the bag hits your foot where you want it. You turn and catch it at the same time, dont try to do one with out the other like in frigid yet. Now you should be facing the bag in a clipper position on your other side trying to do a good set. Your weight does seem like it should be slightly forward. Start working your weak side as well. I don't know if you just didn't show it or not, but it is important you work both sides at the same time. Work towards doing the drill clipper osis> repeat like it is nothing.

The most important part is remembering to get that good set out of osis, so really focus on trying to get it where you want it for that same side clipper.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 27 Dec 2009 08:42

If you feel like you've reached a roadblock with this trick, just expand your game in other directions for now and get back to it later. That's my strategy, at least.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 15 Jan 2010 10:44

KRyan wrote:G'day guys,

I think I am having trouble with my Osis technique so I thought I should post a video of me doing a couple Osis. I have read pretty much every tip on all the sites and have gained some tips from some people I play with.
I find a lot of the time when I try to Osis the bag does get around and I do some sort of motion however, I can't help but notice that it usually lands closer to the heel than the toe or 'sweet spot' that I have analysed as the landing spot for this trick.
I have watched Matt Cross video and it seems to help out a lot but I still feel as if there is something wrong with the catch. ANyway please check the video and fel free to leave some tips.
sorry about the bad filming.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clW-ohXa_WM[/youtube]
A year ago I was in the exact same place as you. I put a lot of work into my osis - pretty much the main focus of my practices for like three or four months - and now its a good reliable trick for me & I can hit some hard things out of it, even though I wasn't blessed with great crank. And I have a lot of fun with it. So I can definitely relate and I think I can provide some helpful thoughts for you:

Your start to the trick looks pretty good. Your set is accurate, you're waiting for the catch, and not trying to watch it all the way. You said it isn't landing in the sweet spot, so you could try pointing the knee on your delaying leg at the knee on your support leg a little more, or raising your delaying foot higher, if you feel like you don't have enough crank to control the delay or get it into the right spot.

But I think the bigger problem is your support leg isn't pivoting. It needs to both pivot and flex, which for me was a really awkward technique to learn. You could try to turn your head faster towards the delay to spot the bag on your foot, that may force you to pivot your support leg. While pivoting, open your hips up, so your knee on the delaying leg goes from pointed towards the support leg, to pointed slightly away from the support leg.

I also noticed your weight is rolling back onto your heel, and sometimes you lose your balance. Like all tricks, stay on the ball of your foot. This will help tremendously with pivoting. If you roll back onto the heel a little bit (so that weight is distributed evenly across your foot) at the end of the trick, but maintain balance, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just don't put all your weight on the heel - and like I said that applies with every trick you'll want to learn.

Other than that, watch a lot of videos. Watch the osis tutorials that are out there, watch players with an osis technique that you think looks good. Watch players with the same amount of crank as you do osis. Watch them over and over again, maybe every day before practicing osis. Visualize the techniques, and practice the movements slowly without the bag.

One thing I learned while watching video is there isn't exactly one type of osis. The best players sometimes do osis differently depending on what they're playing out of or going to play into, sometimes they're slower and more scoopy, sometimes they're all quick pivot to a clipper. So that for me was an important lesson because I was getting caught up on the idea of practicing the "perfect" osis, when I should've been practicing a stable osis that works for me.

Good luck & stick with it!

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 15 Jan 2010 13:02

Great post Nathan. The pivot is pivotal (see what i did there? :) ) as ive right this minute just discovered :D
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 20 Jan 2010 20:59

Oh I see what you did there. :lol: Glad it helped.

KRyan
Shredalicious

Post by KRyan » 23 Jan 2010 04:34

Ok, been practicing osis on and off over the last month, however made quite a bit of headway after reading the last tip and watching some videos of people doing 200 something consec osis. I guess the main thing I needed to do was the actually pivot on the support leg, funnily enough quite easy to do if I thought of swinging my hips as well as the catch leg inwards. This also helped with balance as I was not needing to fall back just to catch it. Also its now landing in the sweet spot with the pivot. I guess I now need to perfect the technique and school it both sides. Thanks everyone for your help, it took a while but I think I will have it down nicely if I keep playing consistently.