=[ pain

The exercises & techniques to keep your body healthy for footbag.
PinkAura
Circle Kicker

=[ pain

Post by PinkAura » 28 Jun 2007 14:11

Hey Everyone,

David wrote a topic about this "lower back/pelvis pain" but I didn't get any information on the pelvis part. I just started getting a pain in between my top leg and my crotch on my right side (pelvic area). My boyfriend has also been complaining about these pains, but on both sides. It seems as though it is a muscle pain or maybe like its pulled (I should know cuz i have the pain but its hard to distinguish). Does anyone know why these pains are present? Is it normal? Has it happened to any of you? Is it because of lack of stretching (although i do stretch on a regular basis).
Angele Menard

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 28 Jun 2007 14:52

If it is exactly in the region I suspect ( like exactly where the leg meets the upper body) than it ain't anything too bad. It's just your body not being used to playing footbag. And I suspect your a little one-sided if that pain is only on what side. Take like 2 days off and hold on a little on tricks that revives the pain. I was having the pain when I was trying too much atomics tricks. Usually this pain happens for trying lot of hippy moves.

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 28 Jun 2007 19:54

hey angele. i have this groin/hip pain a lot on both sides. first it started on my right but now its both. my problem is just from not being used to footbag. now my hip pops frequently but the pain is gone. there was pain and stiffness when i started getting these hip problems... but now its just stiffness. stretches help... do that one where you pull your ankle up to your butt.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Guest_1
BSOS Beast

Post by Guest_1 » 29 Jun 2007 07:20

If it has to do with footbag ;-)

It's your hip flexor. Mahood had some great stretching tips on his site

CautionFragile
BSOS Beast

Post by CautionFragile » 29 Jun 2007 07:51

Angele you stretch nowhere near the amount you say, so stop frontin' :P
Haha. Is Jay still really sore? Camping taint gonna be too fun if he doesn't take her easy.

On the subject of pain, since we didn't specify where, I HAVE HORRIBLE TENDINITIS AND ARTHRITIS :cry: !!
Can anyone help me?? I live in a constant pain that prohibits me from doing most of the things that keep me happy. Music, Wing Chun, Kettlebells, all hurt the arms, although the pain is full body, so Footbag hurts too :x
HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 29 Jun 2007 08:05

Hi Angele,
About 10 years ago I suffered a hip injury skateboarding. When I first started getting into shredding I too experience hip pain, probably as a result of aggravating that old injury. What worked for me the best was hip flexor stretches before AND after each session. You can find these on www.hoodshouse.com After a couple weeks of doing these before and after each session, I no longer experienced the pain.

What happens is that your hip flexor muscles become stronger and more flexible such that they can absorb all the stress that you put on them, without the actual hip JOINT (read: bones and ligaments) taking any stress. This is ideal, because muscles are designed to take all sorts of abuse, but joints are not. Get serious about the stretching (even though it can be a pain in the ass) and strengthen the muscles, it will help, but be patient because it will take time.

One last thing. As a means to become a valuable contributor on this forum, there are a couple things you can do in the future that would be helpful for yourself and everyone else. 1) Please do a search first before creating a new topic. There are already several topics on hip pain and if you had done a search you probably would have found them and gotten some good ideas on how to mitigate it without ever having to have posted and having to wait for a response with good information. If you still had questions you could reply to the existing topic with your specific question, thereby keeping the information on this section well indexed. 2) If you do create a new topic, please have the title be more specific "Pain" is very general and could almost mean anything. This will help keep the forum easy to read for everyone and help you find answers to the questions you have more easily.

Cheers and good luck with your hip pain situation.

2B

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 29 Jun 2007 09:38

I had pain in the area I think you're talking about, but I couldn't really describe it until I googled some anatomical diagrams of the hip/groin area, and then I think I figured it out. Here's what I wrote in my blog:
Anyway, my pain is in the area of the inguinal ligament/lliopsas muscle on my left side. There's some swelling, particularly after a session, and like I mentioned there is pain, but no bruising or discoloration. Guessing it could be that I haven't exactly injured myself, I'm just exercising a muscle a lot. That area also contains the upper part of the femoral nerve, so I'm wondering if its possible that swelling in the ligament or muscle could be pinching the nerve?

My best guess is the increased work on my flipside is causing inflammation or enlargement of the lliopsas muscle, which is putting increased pressure on the inguinal ligament and/or the femoral nerve (or maybe receiving increased pressure from the inguinal ligament? Hmmm...).

But then again I'm just a guy with an internet connection... and the internet tells me it could be a whole lot of things, from the slightly unpleasant (inguinal tendinitis) to the very unpleasant (partial femoral head dislocation, femoral head fractures). But I doubt its anything seriously dangerous, since I had the same thing on my right side but now it feels fine.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to ice it tonight & after every session until it starts to feel better.
What eventually helped this get better was to make sure I balanced my moves out more. For instance, I was doing lots of pixies and pickups, but very few legovers. So now I try to remember to drill legovers at the beginning and end of each session to offset the disproportionate use of the pixie-ing/pickup-ing muscles. And I've felt fine since.

But of course your problem could be something totally different.